Squeezing by on the right - is it legal?

Thread: Squeezing by on the right - is it legal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Squeezing by on the right - is it legal?

The OP was asking about the scenario on the left. That would be likely illegal according to jurisprudence. The scenario would be clearly legal, but not what the OP is talking about at all.

and it wasn't the turn that was considered to be a 172, it was the process of squeezing by the cars stopped at a light on the right.

There is a decision on this, I just can't pull it up right now.

your response doesn't clarify anything, thats the problem, its especially problematic when the section being charged is NOT the section you quoted. People are not exclusively charged under the section you quoted, therefore your HTA section quote is an inadequate and misleading picture of the state of the law re: the Op's question. It is also incorrect.
    Last edited by OpenGambit; 05-08-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

WOW lots of over-analysis here.

If you pass one car on the right (he's going stright or left, and you're turning right); you'll be fine. Everyone does this, ALL the time. A cop couldn't ticket you because it's so common.

If you pass two cars, you're probably risking a ticket.

If you pass more than two, I bet it'll be a lane filtering ticket.

This isn't rocket science, guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Kri$han View Post
    WOW lots of over-analysis here.

If you pass one car on the right (he's going stright or left, and you're turning right); you'll be fine. Everyone does this, ALL the time. A cop couldn't ticket you because it's so common.

If you pass two cars, you're probably risking a ticket.

If you pass more than two, I bet it'll be a lane filtering ticket.

This isn't rocket science, guys...
    No such thing as a lane filtering ticket. They often opt to charge you with 154, which now has precedent that the police must prove you left your marked lane without safety. Leaving or sharing in and of itself is not enough to convict on 154.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    The OP was asking about the scenario on the left. That would be likely illegal according to jurisprudence. The scenario would be clearly legal, but not what the OP is talking about at all.

and it wasn't the turn that was considered to be a 172, it was the process of squeezing by the cars stopped at a light on the right.
    wow, exactly opposite to the conditions set out in the act...

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post

your response doesn't clarify anything, thats the problem, its especially problematic when the section being charged is NOT the section you quoted. People are not exclusively charged under the section you quoted, therefore your HTA section quote is an inadequate and misleading picture of the state of the law re: the Op's question. It is also incorrect.
    That's right, they're not... so how does an unrelated charge like 172, or the state of the law obviate the legality of making a right turn as described in the act? Please elucidate this for me, since you obviously have advanced training and experience in administering and interpreting the HTA... I'm on the edge of my seat here...

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian1974 View Post
    wow, exactly opposite to the conditions set out in the act...

That's right, they're not... so how does an unrelated charge like 172, or the state of the law obviate the legality of making a right turn as described in the act? Please elucidate this for me, since you obviously have advanced training and experience in administering and interpreting the HTA... I'm on the edge of my seat here...

but exactly the question asked by the OP, which is the situation being discussed. If you are trying to say a completely different situation than what the OP described is legal, then thats irrelevant.

The point really is that jurisprudence has effectively determined that passing a vehicle in the same lane on the right is NOT "unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles " by convicting someone for doing so.

I didn't say you quoted the HTA wrong, but I AM saying is that your quote is of little help to the OP and misleading because people may come to the assumption that because their motorcycle fits, its legal. That could not be further from the truth.

Secondly. He wasn't asking about a right turn, he was asking about the pass before the right. The right turn afterwards is not important.

your last comment is effectively pointless, unless you want to actually get into a resume battle, in which case I would say yes, I have more training and experience in both administration and interpretation of laws, not just the HTA, than you.
    Last edited by OpenGambit; 05-08-2012 at 03:11 PM.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.