Suzuki GSX-650F vs SV650?

Thread: Suzuki GSX-650F vs SV650?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Suzuki GSX-650F vs SV650?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewDude View Post
    So I'm new to the motorcycle world and needed some advice about buying my very first bike.

What do you guys think of the following two bikes?

2011 Suzuki GSX-650F (with ABS)
    2011 Suzuki SV650 (with ABS and fairings)

How much would you pay for these bikes brand new?

Any advice would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks.
    For general riding*, SV would be an ideal choice. Light, excellent useable torque.
    If the bike you get will used for significant touring** the GSXF might be a better choice (100 pounds heavier than the SV, a bit more horsepower).

*eg. regular commutes to work. booting around town to meet friends weekday evenings. day trips on wknds.
    ** riding to California and back exploring Americana
    Last edited by IXFe; 05-07-2012 at 07:36 PM.

You could look into a GSF-650 Bandit used instead of the GSX-F650. Bandits over here are not as popular as they are in EU but they're terrific do-it-all bikes and really easy to ride day-to-day making it ideal for newbies. It is a little on the heavy side but it's only noticeable when wheeling it around in the garage or at a stop; on the road it is more nimble + flickable than a 600 supersport at lower speeds, even my CBR 250 wasn't as flickable.

EDIT: Bonus, Bandits are usually pretty cheap used too... <$5K for a tidy 650 bandit and you don't have to worry about fairing removal (which is irritating... done it a few times for friend's SSes) for any maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGuy View Post
    You could look into a GSF-650 Bandit used instead of the GSX-F650. Bandits over here are not as popular as they are in EU but they're terrific do-it-all bikes and really easy to ride day-to-day making it ideal for newbies. It is a little on the heavy side but it's only noticeable when wheeling it around in the garage or at a stop; on the road it is more nimble + flickable than a 600 supersport at lower speeds, even my CBR 250 wasn't as flickable.

EDIT: Bonus, Bandits are usually pretty cheap used too... <$5K for a tidy 650 bandit and you don't have to worry about fairing removal (which is irritating... done it a few times for friend's SSes) for any maintenance.
    Bandits are great bikes. I tour on a 650 and have ridden it across Canada and down to the southern states with no issues, mechanical or otherwise. Highly recommended for a general riding/touring bike.....and yes they are pretty cheap used....got mine for 5k, less than a year old with a set of Givi hard bags.

"I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'