Suzuki GSX-650F vs SV650?

Thread: Suzuki GSX-650F vs SV650?

Suzuki GSX-650F vs SV650?

So I'm new to the motorcycle world and needed some advice about buying my very first bike.

What do you guys think of the following two bikes?

2011 Suzuki GSX-650F (with ABS)
    2011 Suzuki SV650 (with ABS and fairings)

How much would you pay for these bikes brand new?

Any advice would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks.

Re: Suzuki GSX-650F vs SV650?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewDude View Post
    So I'm new to the motorcycle world and needed some advice about buying my very first bike.

2011 Suzuki GSX-650F (with ABS) $0.00
    2011 Suzuki SV650 (with ABS and fairings) $6200.00

Thanks.
    See above

sv650s is much sportier and better looking in my opinion. More aggressive seating position. Both of them fast enough to get you into trouble really fast though.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Thanks.
    I wouldn't buy either brand new.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I wouldn't buy either brand new.
    Any reasoning behind that?

Any reasoning behind that?
    Seeing as how you're new to the motorcycling world, a first drop on a new bike is going to be a painful one. It's better to find a slightly used bike (of the same model) that comes with scratches and dings pre-installed so you don't feel bad if you drop it.

The other reason is that new vehicles are much too expensive. I personally would get one thats one or two years old and save some money
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Don't buy a new one, but buy a "like-new" one. I bought one, 2 years old, a few years ago with 317km's on it, brand new looking all around, for $5500. I don't know why the km's were so low... but, there is just no point in going new. Like 8400 is the MSRP right now...

Check out http://ontario.kijiji.ca/f-sv-cars-v...30QQKeywordZsv this search, it's ontario.kijiji.ca - motorcycles, keyword "sv", and year 2009+

To be honest, right now nothing in there is jumping out at me what so ever. I mean the one for $6500 is okay at best... so maybe going new is the right move, unless you get someone talked down.

Also, as a previous SV owner I must say that it is a bike that is fun to beat on and an excellent bike to learn on, but can get hard on the body... If you just want to cruise around and/or go on longer trips, you might want to go with the 650F.
    2011 Yamaha R6 in Red
    2006 SV650S - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOnion View Post
    Don't buy a new one, but buy a "like-new" one. I bought one, 2 years old, a few years ago with 317km's on it, brand new looking all around, for $5500. I don't know why the km's were so low... but, there is just no point in going new. Like 8400 is the MSRP right now...

Check out http://ontario.kijiji.ca/f-sv-cars-v...30QQKeywordZsv this search, it's ontario.kijiji.ca - motorcycles, keyword "sv", and year 2009+

To be honest, right now nothing in there is jumping out at me what so ever. I mean the one for $6500 is okay at best... so maybe going new is the right move, unless you get someone talked down.

Also, as a previous SV owner I must say that it is a bike that is fun to beat on and an excellent bike to learn on, but can get hard on the body... If you just want to cruise around and/or go on longer trips, you might want to go with the 650F.

U guys all have valid points. I have just been finding it difficult to locate a reasonably priced used bike. They all seem to be over priced.

And what do u guys think if I could get a 2011 SV650 for about $6500-$7000??

^^ I'd go for it

Seeing as how now-a-days used 04+ sv650's are 5Gs and up....crazyness...

it is the beginning of the riding season. on Average prices jump for bikes by 20% at this time.

Btw, g/f has an sv650, i just converted it to a streetfighter with dirtbike bars....OMG it totally transformed the bike....comfortable to ride, incredibly confidence inspiring and a looker!
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

I was also looking at the GSX600F as an option for the looks and being 4 cylinders but I couldn't find a good enough deal. I ended up with an 07 SV650A and I'm very happy with it. It is a lot less powerful than the bikes I normally ride but I had to downsize for insurance reasons. The SV is tried and proven and they have been known for how forgiving they can be to a newby and also good handling that can also be improved with some used GIXXER parts and taken to the track if that's what you want. The GSX600F is a replacement to the Katana which I never liked. It seems to be more of a touring bike and not as nimble as the SV. My suggestion to you is to go to the dealership and sit on both of them and see which one you would be more comfortable on. I am also against buying new.
    2007 SV650S
    2002 GSX-R 750 (SOLD)
    2005 ZX636 (SOLD)
    2003 R6 (SOLD)

I think Power sport has a new 650 F for 7300
    2010 GS500F

Quote Originally Posted by jcarboni View Post
    I think Power sport has a new 650 F for 7300

Powersport had a new SV650 for $6999. Keyword there being HAD. Now it's gone. I guess they must've sold it over the weekend. So I guess that's out of the question.
    I took the Humber course this past weekend. After riding those Virago 250s, I think I would be just fine in a Ninja 250 or CBR 250 too.

The search continues.

Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it.

Thanks.
    For general riding*, SV would be an ideal choice. Light, excellent useable torque.
    If the bike you get will used for significant touring** the GSXF might be a better choice (100 pounds heavier than the SV, a bit more horsepower).

*eg. regular commutes to work. booting around town to meet friends weekday evenings. day trips on wknds.
    ** riding to California and back exploring Americana
    Last edited by IXFe; 05-07-2012 at 07:36 PM.

You could look into a GSF-650 Bandit used instead of the GSX-F650. Bandits over here are not as popular as they are in EU but they're terrific do-it-all bikes and really easy to ride day-to-day making it ideal for newbies. It is a little on the heavy side but it's only noticeable when wheeling it around in the garage or at a stop; on the road it is more nimble + flickable than a 600 supersport at lower speeds, even my CBR 250 wasn't as flickable.

EDIT: Bonus, Bandits are usually pretty cheap used too... <$5K for a tidy 650 bandit and you don't have to worry about fairing removal (which is irritating... done it a few times for friend's SSes) for any maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGuy View Post
    You could look into a GSF-650 Bandit used instead of the GSX-F650. Bandits over here are not as popular as they are in EU but they're terrific do-it-all bikes and really easy to ride day-to-day making it ideal for newbies. It is a little on the heavy side but it's only noticeable when wheeling it around in the garage or at a stop; on the road it is more nimble + flickable than a 600 supersport at lower speeds, even my CBR 250 wasn't as flickable.

EDIT: Bonus, Bandits are usually pretty cheap used too... <$5K for a tidy 650 bandit and you don't have to worry about fairing removal (which is irritating... done it a few times for friend's SSes) for any maintenance.
    Bandits are great bikes. I tour on a 650 and have ridden it across Canada and down to the southern states with no issues, mechanical or otherwise. Highly recommended for a general riding/touring bike.....and yes they are pretty cheap used....got mine for 5k, less than a year old with a set of Givi hard bags.

"I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

I bought an SV650S brand new in '06. I still have it, with ~60,000kms on it. It's still holding up well, and I have no real regrets, but if I was buying today, between the two bikes you list, I'd probably pick the GSX. I commute, do longish weekend rides, and take the occasional trip. The GSX has a more comfortable riding position, and nicer luggage options, and the extra weight would make it a nicer highway bike. The GSX would also be a better 2-up ride. The SV is light and nimble, and has nice torque, but the seating position can get tiresome after hours in the saddle, and my wife certainly doesn't find the passenger seat trip-worthy.

Well the SV65o is sold now. So that idea is gone.

How much would you guys pay for a 2011 Ninja 400 with 2300 Kim's on it?

I bought my 2010 gs500f for 3999 brand new .
    2010 GS500F

Quote Originally Posted by jcarboni View Post
    I bought my 2010 gs500f for 3999 brand new .
    That's an awesome price. But I can't find that bike at the dealerships now. Seems like 2010 was the last model year for that bike.