Failed the M2 Exit...... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Failed the M2 Exit......

Re: Failed the M2 Exit......

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessbob View Post
    Naahh... Thanks to the countless left lane hogs, the left lane is the slow one. Never anyone in the right lane, so the right lane is the fast one. Kinda reverse logic, but oh so true in Ontario...
    soooooo true!

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    This is really confusing. You're supposed to match speed and merge without slowing down traffic, but you cannot speed (breaking the speed limit). So either way you can fail?
    It's not that confusing my friend... In fact, before I did my M2 exit the instructor asked me "Do you have any questions?" and this was exactly what I asked him. He told me verbatim that its OK to go faster then the speed limit but you have to slow down to the speed limit after everything is said and done (Merging in succesfully)

In other words, you can't KEEP speeding but you are allowed to speed a little in order to merge succesfully and safely, and slow down back to 100KPH in the right lane. The examiner had no problem explaining this to me and he passed me.

Next time just clarify with your examiner, they will answer any questions you have about the test if you are unsure.
    Lets Ride

^ You're assuming that all instructors/testers will know this.

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessbob View Post
    Naahh... Thanks to the countless left lane hogs, the left lane is the slow one. Never anyone in the right lane, so the right lane is the fast one. Kinda reverse logic, but oh so true in Ontario...
    It's what they do in the UK, so why not here...
    Last edited by EngineerJoe; 05-04-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Your speedo is off by like 8-10%, so you really were never speeding.
    This would be true if I had the stock SV tyre size 120/60 in the front, but I put a 120/70 on, so it's probably off by only 1-2%, if that

you guys mean to tell me you don't go at 100 at all times on the highway?

Kidding OP, well like mentioned before, go try again and better luck.. also try to use defensive line riding more often and you wont have much trouble next time.

I am yet to schedule mine so thanks for a bit of heads up.
    A
    Here is where I put my signature!!

2012 Candy Green Kawasaki 250cc
    2000 Black Honda Rebel 250cc - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Kri$han View Post
    That sucks.

I passed mine this morning, wooooooooot!!! Never failed a driver's test, ever! cheeeaaaaaaaaaabuddy.
    Can i be as cool as you? Please, show me how to be uber cool... just like you
    -07 ZZR600
    -09 Ninja 250r Sold

Quote Originally Posted by afelotreyu View Post
    How I ride, and how I ride for a road test are two completely different things.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    ^ You're assuming that all instructors/testers will know this.

It's what they do in the UK, so why not here...
    hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kri$han View Post
    This would be true if I had the stock SV tyre size 120/60 in the front, but I put a 120/70 on, so it's probably off by only 1-2%, if that
    How do you know? As Amazon mentioned, it could be off either way. The only decent way to check is with GPS, unless of course you can put the bike on dyno, wherever, and re-adjust the speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by RicoChet View Post
    It's not that confusing my friend... In fact, before I did my M2 exit the instructor asked me "Do you have any questions?" and this was exactly what I asked him. He told me verbatim that its OK to go faster then the speed limit but you have to slow down to the speed limit after everything is said and done (Merging in succesfully)

In other words, you can't KEEP speeding but you are allowed to speed a little in order to merge succesfully and safely, and slow down back to 100KPH in the right lane. The examiner had no problem explaining this to me and he passed me.

Next time just clarify with your examiner, they will answer any questions you have about the test if you are unsure.
    +1 always clarify with the instructor. Some will fail you going just above the speed limit and some will allow you to go with the flow of traffic.

Just curious how do they know how fast you're going? I'm assuming they follow you in a car and based on how fast they're going in the car? Is that how it works?

And yeah OP just remember blocking positions. Whichever lane you're in you don't want cars encroaching into your lane so in middlelane that can be tricky lol.

Do you have to remain in the blocking position throughout the curve on the on ramp?

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO_5 View Post
    This is thread worthy ?
    Maybe not to you, which is why you simply should have gone on to a topic that did/does interest you

Veej. Thanks for posting. Lane position is probably why I would fail too. Something I need to work on.
    Good luck next time!
    2007 Honda CBR125r
    Prov. 15:1
    John 8:7

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    Do you have to remain in the blocking position throughout the curve on the on ramp?
    What would the blocking position be on a single lane curve and who are you blocking the guy behind you?

I almost got smoked today leaning around a curve thought there would be a merge lane but not. Last second see a yield sign. At the end of the curve is the direct merge onto the highway. No way of emergency braking while the bike is leaned over. Pinned the throttle just inches from his front bumper. Guess some ramps are not designed with riders in mind lol.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44 View Post
    What would the blocking position be on a single lane curve and who are you blocking the guy behind you?

I almost got smoked today leaning around a curve thought there would be a merge lane but not. Last second see a yield sign. At the end of the curve is the direct merge onto the highway. No way of emergency braking while the bike is leaned over. Pinned the throttle just inches from his front bumper. Guess some ramps are not designed with riders in mind lol.
    Interesting. Of course you can't emergency brake while leaned, that's why you need to straighten up. Didn't see the yield sign? Good to see you're paying attention. Don't mean to be a d*ck, but the design of the ramp wasn't the issue here.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by afelotreyu View Post
    A
    About 98% of the time. What's the problem following the law and setting a good example?

Oh yeah, it's not cool, sorry about that, please carry on.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400

I just passed mine here in Brampton on Thursday, and don't do as good as I expected to do. I was dinged for a couple "not looking around" things. But the highway portion was kind of a joke. We went northbound on the 410 from Steels to Clark (the on ramp continues all the way to Clark), then southbound back to Steeles from Clark (again, the on ramp continues all the way). So all I had to do was one lane change both ways and done, no merging onto the actual highway.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44 View Post
    If the single lane curve was an on-ramp I would take the tire track closest to the side where the traffic is that I'll be merging into.