Getting Gas

Thread: Getting Gas

Getting Gas

Someone I was talking with recently said they fill their bike up and pay at the pump, all without getting off the bike, or putting it on the kickstand. Said they could get more gas in the tank that way. Got me wondering if anyone else does this?

Re: Getting Gas

Some pump monkeys will stop you from doing this for safety reasons. I use fill-ups as an opportunity to stretch the ol' legs out.

I don't get off the bike either. The tank's vertical so you can fill it up to the top.

2011 CBR250R
    2008 CBR125R (Enjoyed...sold...not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by mimico_polak View Post
    I don't get off the bike either. The tank's vertical so you can fill it up to the top.
    ^
    on the kickstand the bike is tilted to the side. This way, the gas will hit one side of the top faster than the other side (because the liquid would remain horizonal to the ground, while in a container that is tilted non-horizontal)
    with the top of the tank as horizontal as possible, you can put more gas in before it hits the top of the tank. Same as filling a cup. Tilt it to the side one side of the rim gets hits first. Flat, it hits the rim everywhere at the same time.
    '05 GS500F [[Flush Mount turn signals:+6 rear sprocket]]
    25,837.7/100,000km goal

lol i paid a total of $2.76 the first time i got gas, i had no idea what i was doing lol

You will get more fuel in, but not enough to change where your next fuel stop is.

X ---- > I'm Not here, But I'm there ---> X

Quote Originally Posted by Pan View Post
    lol i paid a total of $2.76 the first time i got gas, i had no idea what i was doing lol

Back in the 70's???

I never get off my bike to fill up cause I am lazy and it takes a few minutes. I have had a gas station attendant ask me to get off the bike to fill for safety reasons but I said I didn't have a working kickstand and they walked off.

And as jaymurr said you will get more gas in but not much.

Gas goes in the gas tank.

I always get off the bike since it gives me a chance to stretch and adjust my balls.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

^^^^ +1
    what he said

Its a bad idea to stay on your motorcycle whilst filling it with gas. If the gas should spill onto the top of your tank, guess what gets wet with gas? YOUR CROTCH!.......and if that isn't bad enough in itself and it doesn't make you uncomfortable enough, then the possbility of a FIRE should. Yes boys and girls, gas is flammable! and yes, accidents do happen. Never stay on a motorcycle when refuelling. I've seen alot of stupid things happen during refuelling including people on motorcycles falling over. Another tip is to be careful not to park too close to the pump as feet tend to get hung up on curbs etc when you're needing to move and maintain your balance.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Gas is a nice skin conditioner - oops irritant.

Think of all those fumes hovering around your crotch if you spill it.

Wouldn't want to burn the boys would you?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Have always filled up while standing over the bike with the bike upright under me. Only had one dumbass yell at me about doing this at a PC, something about company policy at all their locations. Ummmm…..right! So like I was saying, I've been pulling up, taking out my card, swiping at the pump and filling up, all essentially without getting off the bike. Even on long trips I do this, I end up pulling away from the pump and parking for a few min to take a break anyway.

If your getting fluids all over your crotch, your definitely doing it wrong imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Gas is a nice skin conditioner - oops irritant.

Think of all those fumes hovering around your crotch if you spill it.

Wouldn't want to burn the boys would you?
    easy now, you wouldn't want red posting about this would you, she's an expert about this sort of stuff too, seeing she doesn't even own a bike , she knows all the dirty bits.
    Last edited by Stewart; 05-04-2012 at 09:04 PM.

I expected someone to comment on a diet of beans and cabbage given the thread topic...

Quote Originally Posted by HunGJaI View Post
    Back in the 70's???
    haha no, just 3 days ago o.O LOL!

The amount of extra gasoline you will be able to put in if the bike is upright is marginal. Anyway, it's good not to overfill your tank, you could end up losing some of that extra gas through evaporation, or plugging up your EVAP cannister (if you have one) with liquid gas (I've seen liquid fuel squirt out of a bike, and it was hot!).

I agree with the other posters that it's best to be off the bike when filling up... you are in a vulnerable position while seated and if something should happen you'd have to put the sidestand down and carefully dismount, all while your crotch is in flames. Not so hot!
    “Love is the absence of judgment.”
    - Dalai Lama

Been waiting for this as its a REPOST EVERY SINGLE MOTHER F-N SEASON. Why can't noObs find the search button? Why God WHY???
    "They Say At 100MPH Water Feels Like Concrete, Just Imagine What Concrete Feels Like At 100mph" - Nicky Hayden

>< VC 01.