Neck braces, what are you guys using??

Thread: Neck braces, what are you guys using??

Neck braces, what are you guys using??

I recently got back into motocross with my son this year and find myself riding a little more aggressive then I first thought i would.
    I want to purchase a neck brace, anything I should know??
    Thanks in advance
    Mark Stein
    4xOSCA Championship family
    OSCA KOS GSXR 1000
    Blaines Automotive
    Port Tech heads
    CyclePro
    Black Cat Pub

www.blainesautomotive.com

Re: Neck braces, what are you guys using??

Leatt

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Leatt
    This.

X100.

Best. Investment. Ever.
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Leatt was at the top of my list, what about the EVS??
    Mark Stein
    OSCA KOS GSXR 1000
    Blaines Automotive
    Port Tech heads
    CyclePro
    Black Cat Pub

the EVS is ABSOLUTE garbage.

Don't waste your money.

Don't waste your money.
    Good to know, thank you!!
    Mark Stein
    OSCA KOS GSXR 1000
    Blaines Automotive
    Port Tech heads
    CyclePro
    Black Cat Pub

Don't waste your money.
    I believe reciprocity is in a far better position to discuss the qualities of neck braces (given his input on other threads of this nature), but, just for the record, I know that the the OLD EVS' were terribad - they were bulky and cheaply made.

The new EVS R4 is supposed to mimic the same concepts that have made Leatt's the industry innovators i.e. lightweight, compact, cutting edge, etc.

Having said this, I'd still get a Leatt over an EVS given their years of know-how (just wanted to give some input into the topic).

I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

EVS is junk.
    Alpinestars brace is ok, but they don't really work with too many chest protectors
    Of course, Leatt started it all.
    But, the newest one out is the Atlas brace, and it's what I'm wearing.

It was designed and the company is owned by a Canadian.
    The design of it is great, The materials are top notch. The function of it is similar to the Leatt, but it takes the contact points off of the collar bones and sternum and spine and puts them on the shoulder blades and across the ribs. There are benefits and drawbacks to either system. It's not as rigid and the Leatt, so it will work with your body a bit better, but it's still more than enough to do the job.
    It's also easier to put on and off as it just slides over your head. I have mine rigged up so that it comes on with my chest protector but the emergency release function will still work.
    With the Leatt, you have a clasp to put it on and take it off. I've seen this clasp come undone during riding and the brace then becomes an issue.
    The Atlas is the only brace I could find that for me would work with a chest protector, aside from going the expensive route and buying the Leatt neck brace and chest protector. The Atlas comes with more fitting adjustments than any other brace. I'm born with big shoulders/chest so I had to wait for the Atlas to come out to finally have something to fit me.
    The first time I've had it out, even on the first lap I didn't notice it was on. Everyone at the track is interested in it, even the Leatt users. I've loaned it out for people to try and they all like it.

Best of all, the Atlas is quite a bit cheaper than the Leatt.

The production of the Atlas was delayed by Leatt attempting to sue... That's how much of a threat Leatt thinks the Atlas brace is to their market share.

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    EVS is junk.
    Alpinestars brace is ok, but they don't really work with too many chest protectors
    Of course, Leatt started it all.
    But, the newest one out is the Atlas brace, and it's what I'm wearing.

It was designed and the company is owned by a Canadian.
    The design of it is great, The materials are top notch. The function of it is similar to the Leatt, but it takes the contact points off of the collar bones and sternum and spine and puts them on the shoulder blades and across the ribs. There are benefits and drawbacks to either system. It's not as rigid and the Leatt, so it will work with your body a bit better, but it's still more than enough to do the job.
    It's also easier to put on and off as it just slides over your head. I have mine rigged up so that it comes on with my chest protector but the emergency release function will still work.
    With the Leatt, you have a clasp to put it on and take it off. I've seen this clasp come undone during riding and the brace then becomes an issue.
    The Atlas is the only brace I could find that for me would work with a chest protector, aside from going the expensive route and buying the Leatt neck brace and chest protector. The Atlas comes with more fitting adjustments than any other brace. I'm born with big shoulders/chest so I had to wait for the Atlas to come out to finally have something to fit me.
    The first time I've had it out, even on the first lap I didn't notice it was on. Everyone at the track is interested in it, even the Leatt users. I've loaned it out for people to try and they all like it.

Best of all, the Atlas is quite a bit cheaper than the Leatt.

The production of the Atlas was delayed by Leatt attempting to sue... That's how much of a threat Leatt thinks the Atlas brace is to their market share.
    Great info! I know Royal has these and the "canadian" sits well with me.!!
    Mark Stein
    OSCA KOS GSXR 1000
    Blaines Automotive
    Port Tech heads
    CyclePro
    Black Cat Pub

There are 4or5 different ones out now,you need to try them on and see which one fits you best.Price may also bea deciding factor.
    2010 KTM 300 XC W __________________March 22/11 Rest in peace Dad

Just don't get the EVS brace. It's a horrible design in so many ways.

Just don't get the EVS brace. It's a horrible design in so many ways.
    The old or the new one? I thought the EVS R4 received some decent feedback from several magazine reviews (mind you, I can't find any current reviews...only the beta reviews of the product).

Quote Originally Posted by dr_sarcasm View Post
    The old or the new one? I thought the EVS R4 received some decent feedback from several magazine reviews (mind you, I can't find any current reviews...only the beta reviews of the product).
    the RC-EVO is for sure junk.
    The R4... You're getting what you pay for material wise. The closure system doesn't seem that great for it.

Just looking at the way it's bracing off your thorax, I'm not sure if it has enough "leverage" to prevent your head moving too far... Meaning the contact points of the brace on the thorax is too close to the brace and it looks like it's more likely to slip.

The Leatt... With the force being pushed right on the spine, has been a topic of discussion. There are lots of reports of broken vertebra, right at the top of where the brace pushes on the spine... And there have been some people wearing the Leatt with actual spinal cord damage right at that same location.

The Atlas, takes that force and puts it on the Scapula. A stronger bone. And if you do crack your shoulder blades you're just out of the game for a little bit, in my opinion a lot less chance of spinal cord injury.

The Leatt and Atlas have their "leverage point" further down from the "fulcrum" of the neck, giving the brace a better mechanical advantage against the force being applied, and less likely to shift.

These are just my observations, taking in from my professional background and having seen and worn each of these braces.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

Leatt
    RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM