Ask A Motorcycle thief

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask A Motorcycle thief

Ask A Motorcycle thief

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/...orcycle_thief/

Browsing reddit and this came up as an AMA (ask me anything) thought it had some intersting points

Re: Ask A Motorcycle thief

FYi it's a request to find somebody, so it isn't officially an "ama"

An ex-thief started his own thread here;
    http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/..._operator_ama/

Answers a bunch of questions on how to keep a bike safe, how the crime world works. Good read.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    An ex-thief started his own thread here;
    http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/..._operator_ama/

Answers a bunch of questions on how to keep a bike safe, how the crime world works. Good read.
    I don't believe in a higher power, but for everything I got from that life I've lost pretty much all of it. So maybe there is some sort of karma out there. I did use the income earned during that period to put myself through college, but other than that, I've lost all material things. I can't be mad, I certainly deserve this, as I write this I'm days from having to crash on a friend's couch or spare bedroom and I'm in my 30's. I have less than $500 to my name and 1 job offer that's not so promising.

Mmm.. the lovely taste of karma.
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

lol, why is my bike not stolen yet...i feel so unloved...

OP, thanks for the link - great read!

makes me wonder if GTA bike dealers secretly deal stolen bikes too

Proper, big-name, registered-with-OMVIC dealers wouldn't want to touch a stolen bike with a 10 foot pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Proper, big-name, registered-with-OMVIC dealers wouldn't want to touch a stolen bike with a 10 foot pole.
    what about when they are first starting out

I always wondered if any thieves carry power tools. You can get cable locks that are thicker than bolt cutters jaws and even most hydraulic cutters jaws. Would be useless if they had a portable bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post
    what about when they are first starting out
    If someone is a "dealer" and they are not registered with OMVIC then don't deal with them.

If someone is a curbstoner (a private seller who does a lot of buying and selling) then they are to be treated as a private seller but with even greater suspicion. A private seller who is legit, ought to be able to tell you the history of the bike. Any private seller (includes a curbstoner) has to give you the UVIP. No UVIP? No deal. If there is anything sketchy about the bike - no deal.

I know there are some places who rebuild wrecked bikes, and I know there are others who import from the USA and elsewhere. Get paperwork and ask lots of questions. LOTS and lots of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    I always wondered if any thieves carry power tools. You can get cable locks that are thicker than bolt cutters jaws and even most hydraulic cutters jaws. Would be useless if they had a portable bandsaw.
    Lots of noise and visually suspicious activity. A smart thief wouldn't wanna bring it and a dumb thief couldn't afford it or figure out how to use it.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    There's an electric/hydraulic "bolt cutter" that'll cut any motorcycle chain in seconds. It's pretty noisy, but it's quick. Jaws open to 2" so I'm pretty sure that'd tackle any security chain I've seen. There's a video of it chopping up an Almax monster chain somewhere.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

If someone wants your bike bad enough.. they will take it.

I think steering locks, disk locks and chains are not designed to prevent theft considering with some pretty basic tools you can get by them but instead they are designed to deter theifs if you have a row of bikes all the same type and desirability for a thief they are going to pick the one with less hassle.

So best way to deter a theifs is to park next to a more desirable bike with less security features.
    "Where we're going we don't need roads"
    "Where are we going?"
    "Brantford!"
    "Oh so we do need roads?"
    "Yea...."

SOLD for restoration - 83 Honda VT250FE
    2001 Katana 600

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    There's an electric/hydraulic "bolt cutter" that'll cut any motorcycle chain in seconds. It's pretty noisy, but it's quick. Jaws open to 2" so I'm pretty sure that'd tackle any security chain I've seen. There's a video of it chopping up an Almax monster chain somewhere.

-Jamie M.
    wow wtf. I always thought Almax had the best chains out there..

Quote Originally Posted by veno78 View Post
    wow wtf. I always thought Almax had the best chains out there..
    They do, but that doesn't mean NOTHING can cut them

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

the only 100% secure way is to put a walk in bank vault in your parking spot!!! how much do these cost btw?

the only 100% secure way is to put a walk in bank vault in your parking spot!!! how much do these cost btw?
    Those have some serious scrap value that would bring in a lot of crack money
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Those have some serious scrap value that would bring in a lot of crack money
    yeah but it weights tons how the heck are you gonna move it? lol

yeah but it weights tons how the heck are you gonna move it? lol
    Where there's a crackhead, there's a way