safe parking- any tips??

Thread: safe parking- any tips??

safe parking- any tips??

Hi guys,

I work at York University, and I usually park my car on the outer reserved lot.
    Do you guys have any tips on how best to park the bike to avoid another car knocking it over or something?

Cheers

Re: safe parking- any tips??

middle of Vari Hall lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hulahoopie View Post
    Hi guys,

I work at York University, and I usually park my car on the outer reserved lot.
    Do you guys have any tips on how best to park the bike to avoid another car knocking it over or something?

Cheers

dont scare me now. Should I go check up on my bike every half an hour? :'( i knew this was a bad idea!

isnt there bike designated parking at the steacy lot by the comp sci building?
    2004 Blue GSXR 600 (current)
    2010 red ninja 250r (Sold)

Simple, don't park in the lot

I don't know what all the new buildings are called but I stopped by York several weeks ago and parked with the other bikes next to the bicycle lockup off one of those small streets at the south end of campus (near Pond Rd).

There is, but it's $$$ and I already got one for the car (for the same price, you can park both)

Quote Originally Posted by absolute View Post
    isnt there bike designated parking at the steacy lot by the comp sci building?

Yeah I know which place you're talking about. Apparently, motorcycles are not allowed to park there, and parking services at York doesnt hesitate to give out tickets.

I thought maybe you guys have some techniques when you park your bikes at the lots.
    For example, do you leave it more at the front of the parking spot (so it's easily visible) or do you tuck it in more, to avoid cars knocking it over?

Quote Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
    Simple, don't park in the lot

I don't know what all the new buildings are called but I stopped by York several weeks ago and parked with the other bikes next to the bicycle lockup off one of those small streets at the south end of campus (near Pond Rd).

Between Seneca and Tel building. You will most probably see other bikes parked there as well.

I've talked to Seneca security and he said that it was fine.

i tend to not go in all the way into the spot with my bike and park in the middle of the parking spot, unless im riding with others
    less chances of people dinging the bike with their doors, and at least when u drive by u can see the rear wheel of the bike so people dont try to turn in and not pay attention and nudge ur bike over lol
    2004 Blue GSXR 600 (current)
    2010 red ninja 250r (Sold)

yeah, that's how i left it, makes me feel a tiny bit better

Interesting. York Parking told me I'd get a ticket if i park there.
    Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    Between Seneca and Tel building. You will most probably see other bikes parked there as well.

I've talked to Seneca security and he said that it was fine.

I work @ seneca (not @ that campus). Various employees in my department used to be located there and have bikes, most used to park in the same spot as mentioned by PLau, near the bike racks
    Here is where I put my signature!!

2012 Candy Green Kawasaki 250cc
    2000 Black Honda Rebel 250cc - Sold

If you paid for a spot in the lot use it. I wouldn't mind. Unless it's far then I'd park it next to the other bikes.
    When parking in a lot, I always leave mine in first gear so it doesn't get moved. Then I wouldn't park all the way in, only in the middle and closer to the end that exits out.

Only risk of parking in the lot is a big van or truck can sweep by and your bike is gone.
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER
    Look for a glowing white bike

Quote Originally Posted by hulahoopie View Post
    Interesting. York Parking told me I'd get a ticket if i park there.
    This is the only place at York where you can park on a bike(not in a parking lot) where you won't get a ticket. Just don't block the walkway between the building and don't park on the grass or sidewalk.

This is a highly populated area so you don't really need to worry about your bike being stolen as much. I left the school once at 10:30pm and there were still about 4-5 bikes along with mine still parked there.

Do you pay for the parking?

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    This is the only place at York where you can park on a bike(not in a parking lot) where you won't get a ticket. Just don't block the walkway between the building and don't park on the grass or sidewalk.

This is a highly populated area so you don't really need to worry about your bike being stolen as much. I left the school once at 10:30pm and there were still about 4-5 bikes along with mine still parked there.

I usually park deep in the spot if it's just me and toward the center to avoid swinging doors. I thought about parking near the opening but decided it posed a greater risk of having my bike knocked over by cars backing out of adjacent spaces (especially those who park nose in) and passerbys. Plus it makes me chuckle when I think of drivers lurking up and down the aisles and thinking it's an open spot

good thinking ! thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
    I usually park deep in the spot if it's just me and toward the center to avoid swinging doors. I thought about parking near the opening but decided it posed a greater risk of having my bike knocked over by cars backing out of adjacent spaces (especially those who park nose in) and passerbys. Plus it makes me chuckle when I think of drivers lurking up and down the aisles and thinking it's an open spot