Favorite Mods for CBR600F4i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Mods for CBR600F4i

Favorite Mods for CBR600F4i

OK... so for those didn't see my other post, I'm the proud new owner of a virtually new 2006 CBR600F4i !!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(11).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	28403

I'm looking at getting a little higher sport-touring windscreen like the MRA.

Also looking at getting a lowering kit to drop it a couple inches since I'm one of those people with a 30" inseam. Anybody done this on their F4i, and if so, any problems or concerns with clearances, etc.?

I'd like to get some frame sliders too, but I really don't want to drill my fairings. Anybody know of any good sliders that mount without drilling the fairings?

And what other mods do you recommend?

(Bearing in mind that I'm looking to mod for more comfort and sport-tour style, not track-bike, RR style mods. I'm 40 this year and comfort is a MUCH higher priority now than it was 20 years ago when I was young and invincible.

Re: Favorite Mods for CBR600F4i

My favourite mod for my 2002 F4i was a 2011 600RR.

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    OK... so for those didn't see my other post, I'm the proud new owner of a virtually new 2006 CBR600F4i !!!!!!

Name:	photo(11).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	28403

I'm looking at getting a little higher sport-touring windscreen like the MRA.

Also looking at getting a lowering kit to drop it a couple inches since I'm one of those people with a 30" inseam. Anybody done this on their F4i, and if so, any problems or concerns with clearances, etc.?

I'd like to get some frame sliders too, but I really don't want to drill my fairings. Anybody know of any good sliders that mount without drilling the fairings?

And what other mods do you recommend?

(Bearing in mind that I'm looking to mod for more comfort and sport-tour style, not track-bike, RR style mods. I'm 40 this year and comfort is a MUCH higher priority now than it was 20 years ago when I was young and invincible.
    Whatever you decide to do, make a fender eliminator part of the list. Standard fare for all bikes....

Levers and Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines for more braking power.
    3rd bike (current) - '06 kawasaki zx-636 blk/gld
    2nd bike - '08 kawasaki ninja 250 red
    1st bike - '92 kawasaki ex500 blue/white (dead)

Lowering is fairly easy - you can get the 3-position bracket that connects to your rear suspension on ebay. Make sure you evenly lower front and rear. My bike was lowered around 2.5" in the back and 1.5" in the front, and it would try to wheelie on the onramps when I'll be accelerating.

Non-cut frame sliders are waste of money, read the reviews, you can damage your frame with those, so it will be a more expensive repair than just replacing fairings.

I have a double-bubble windscreen on my bike, it helps with air flow over your shoulders/helmet on the highway. You can go expensive route - Puig, Zero Gravity, or cheap route - ebay from China for $25 shipped. Sport touring windscreens are huge IMHO.

My best "touring" upgrade so far is a Corbin seat. It's 3x thicker than the original seat, very comfy. Check ebay for F4 banana seats if you don't want to pay $400+ for a brand new one. F4 seats are the same as 04-06 F4i.

Of course, you can always try clip-on risers and adjust your rearsets for more comfortable riding position, I haven't done that (yet) to my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Non-cut frame sliders are waste of money, read the reviews, you can damage your frame with those, so it will be a more expensive repair than just replacing fairings.
    +100000
    I guy on another forum had a 0 speed tip over in his driveway and the no-cut frame slider caused extensive motor damage.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

You must have huge balls if you're planning on lowering the bike due to a 30" inseam.

i recommend pazzo levers, they make huge differences from the stock ones....
    Past rides: 08 Lime green Kawi Ninja 250R - Awesome beginner bike!
    Current ride: 01 Honda F4i

DC electrical socket and heated grips if you ride in cold weather.

Don't lower it, especially if you have a 30" inseam. Seriously, that's not too far from me and I can flat-foot pretty much any road bike.

You might want to look into a manual cam chain tensioner for that bike.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    You might want to look into a manual cam chain tensioner for that bike.
    One of the most arguable topics for this bike. Yes, CCT fails on these bikes often, but manual only adjusts it to one position, it does not "follow" the road. It must be very good for racing, especially when you check/adjust it ever 1-2 races, but not for everyday road use. It's a pain in the @ss to change that thing (my bike only had 12k on it when CCT started to knock) for sure, but engine purrs beautifully with OEM new revision one.

Btw, it's not just inseam, which affects whether you can flat-foot the bike, it's also width of the bike/seat. My Corbin seat is wider than the original one, and now I cannot fully flat-foot my bike (stock height bike, I am 5'11"), I cannot put both heels on the ground.

Yea the notorious CCTL (it's actually the CCT Lifter not the tensioner) will eventually start rattling but it's typically not a serious problem, just irritating. I agree that the manual one is better if you don't mind making periodic adjustments. Otherwise, go with the revised OEM part (you can identify that it's the revised model because it has two blue/green dots on it vs one dot on the old one).

i'm 5'6.5 with a 04 gsxr
    with sidi full length boots, im on my tip toes when both my legs are down (literally tip of my toes)
    with 1 leg i can easily flat foot it.
    dont recommend you lower it if i can make do with the tip toes =p

steel braided lines + aftermarket adjustable brake and clutch levers! such a difference in brake feel, no mushy brakes.

as people mentioned dont get the no-cut sliders!

intergrated tails are always nice too , of course you have to get rid of that rear fender too
    2004 Blue GSXR 600 (current)
    2010 red ninja 250r (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
    Yea the notorious CCTL (it's actually the CCT Lifter not the tensioner)

I believe it is CCTL = Cam Chain Tensioner Lifter
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Name:	485.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	28410Click image for larger version. 

Name:	477.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	28411
    Steering damper, cut frame sliders, ss brake lines and i personally like HID

Useful post...
    Back to the topic: Corbin seats are wider than stock so make sure it works for you. What about Sargeant seats?

Quote Originally Posted by vkhamphi View Post
    My favourite mod for my 2002 F4i was a 2011 600RR.

Quote Originally Posted by onecartel View Post
    You must have huge balls if you're planning on lowering the bike due to a 30" inseam.
    @onecartel - Why thank you! Actually, my balls haven't been complaining. I'm 5'6" so I don't touch flat-footed. I'd need to lower it about 2" to touch flat-foot.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post

My best "touring" upgrade so far is a Corbin seat. It's 3x thicker than the original seat, very comfy. Check ebay for F4 banana seats if you don't want to pay $400+ for a brand new one. F4 seats are the same as 04-06 F4i.

Of course, you can always try clip-on risers and adjust your rearsets for more comfortable riding position, I haven't done that (yet) to my bike.
    @ViperZ - Good to know about the sliders. Not sure I like the idea of drilling or cutting my fairings though. I'm going to have to think on that one.

I'm quite happy with the stock banana seat. So far it seems really comfortable. If that changes with more km's, I'll definitely consider the Corbin.

I've been looking at clip-on risers, but like the seat, so far the stock seem pretty comfortable. Again though, with more kms on the bike, I may change my mind.

Thanks!

If you need clip-ons, try to find a set off a '02 and up VFR (43mm diameter).

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald94 View Post
    If you need clip-ons, try to find a set off a '02 and up VFR (43mm diameter).
    Do they fit without mods to the fairing?