Cagers in my lane

Thread: Cagers in my lane

Question Cagers in my lane

One of my 'first ride' observations...

As I'm sitting at a red light, waiting to go straight (in the left tire track) people would squeeze by me in order to turn right just because I don't take up the whole lane. Made me a bit nervous but should I be concerned about this? Should I change my positioning to block them. It's funny because I'm the kind of guy that, when driving a car, I'll always pull up and to the left to let people do this but now that I'm on a bike I'm not sure that I like it.

Re: Cagers in my lane

I normally stay in left and let them go by, common courtesy.
    Current bikes:

I pull to the left and more forward to allow cagers to easily pass me to turn right. And I pass cagers when I need to turn and they don't. It just means 1 less person at the lights that has to stay at a slow speed and hold up traffic even longer while turning.
    If you don't want it, stay further back and go abit more to the right.

My $0.02
    '05 GS500F [[Flush Mount turn signals:+6 rear sprocket]]
    25,837.7/100,000km goal

Quote Originally Posted by Sabex View Post
    I pull to the left and more forward to allow cagers to easily pass me to turn right. And I pass cagers when I need to turn and they don't. It just means 1 less person at the lights that has to stay at a slow speed and hold up traffic even longer while turning.
    If you don't want it, stay further back and go abit more to the right.

My $0.02
    +1

or if you dont like it, just get off the right lane whenever possible lol
    2004 Blue GSXR 600 (current)
    2010 red ninja 250r (Sold)

I was nervous of it as first as well...then I realized I would do the same in my car and move forward to let them go...since then I've got no issues...and I pass on the right too at the stop light instead of waiting if there's 1 car ahead of me.

2011 CBR250R
    2008 CBR125R (Enjoyed...sold...not forgotten)

Let them through, it's common courtesy

Thanks everyone! It just caught me off guard. I'll be ready next time.

lol this happened to me, I moved up and over, and the guy stopped beside me? lol....

happens all the time, i just got used to it, so long as they don't hit me i'm cool with it...but i don't pull over the line to give them room if i'm right at the lights, but i sit in the left track and most people are quite courteous and proceed slowly...but if you get within thumping distance of my hand, you will have a bad day...

Quote Originally Posted by Trice87 View Post
    lol this happened to me, I moved up and over, and the guy stopped beside me? lol....
    ^ This I hate. I always let people pass to make a right but I hate when cars going straight pull up next to me at the line regardless of the lane. The last car that did this to me was being driven by an old lady and when the light turned green she accelerated alongside me through the intersection! I laid on my horn and got on the throttle to get the hell away from her.

Quote Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
    ^ This I hate. I always let people pass to make a right but I hate when cars going straight pull up next to me at the line regardless of the lane. The last car that did this to me was being driven by an old lady and when the light turned green she accelerated alongside me through the intersection! I laid on my horn and got on the throttle to get the hell away from her.
    car within reach, deserves good thumping, or kick to door...

Quote Originally Posted by GayManLoveIsOK View Post
    ^
    Includes parking also. I used to park parallel to the lines near a side so motorcyclist could share the lane if they want. Until cars started parking there. I was at a party when someone pull this lifted diesel truck into the same lane as my bike. When I left he had acquired a few new dents (he wasn't at the party; he just lived in the building.)
    So now I park near the front on a diagonal.
    '05 GS500F [[Flush Mount turn signals:+6 rear sprocket]]
    25,837.7/100,000km goal

Quote Originally Posted by Sabex View Post
    ^
    Includes parking also. I used to park parallel to the lines near a side so motorcyclist could share the lane if they want. Until cars started parking there. I was at a party when someone pull this lifted diesel truck into the same lane as my bike. When I left he had acquired a few new dents (he wasn't at the party; he just lived in the building.)
    So now I park near the front on a diagonal.
    valve stem removal tool...no need to say more...

Yea agreed but someone posted a vid here a while back of a chick running over a rider after he did that lol

valve stem removal tool...no need to say more...
    LOL awesome tool, I need to pick one up...

i dont go past the line unless I see the cars signal and then i pull up just enough .
    on a side note ive had a person go into a right turn lane and go around me and same thing happened with another person but in the left turn lane,
    both times I was 5 - 10km over the speed limit.
    nothing you could do really but give a dirty look lol and drive defensivly i guess.

or just get a side cutter and cut the valve stem or pull it out lol

Depending on the situation, it's probably not best to be in the right lane when going straight through an intersection. You want to be as visible as possible to left turners, and the best position for that is usually in the leftmost lane (right portion) and well behind the vehicle in front. Otherwise, I agree with the other posters, it's courteous to give the cagers room.
    “Love is the absence of judgment.”
    - Dalai Lama

I always try to stay to left of the lane. One time i was letting a car make the right turn but they looked afraid that they might clip me.