Traffic Lights

Thread: Traffic Lights

Question Traffic Lights

Finally got my first bike yesterday and I ran into a little problem that never occurred to me before... Traffic lights that don't regularly change seem to be a problem. At big intersections, they change frequently. But when you want to turn left from a side street onto a larger road, what do you do when your bike isn't enough to trigger the sensor? I sat there forever.

Re: Traffic Lights

3 options really

**light will only need to be triggered if there are the metal sensor lines in the road, which you can tell by a few straight lines which are too straight to be cracks on the tire tracks that are usually filled in with tar**

1) sit there and wait until an actual car pulls up to ur light and waits which will trigger the light

2) check to make sure there are no cars coming at you from behind, then make a right turn and go around

3) get off ur bike walk to press the pedestrian crossing button
    *if a cop sees you doing this, you will get a ticket for abandoning your motor vehicle*
    2004 Blue GSXR 600 (current)
    2010 red ninja 250r (Sold)

You wait a decent amount of time (usually 2-3 regular cycles. like 4-5 minutes or so) and if it doesn't change, treat it as a stop sign. Proceed when safe. It's the same thing you'd do for any "defective light" (treat it as a stop sign.)
    '05 GS500F [[Flush Mount turn signals:+6 rear sprocket]]
    25,837.7/100,000km goal

This shouldn't be too much of a problem anymore. Most street lights use inductive proximity sensors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_sensor) that basically create a magnetic field and anything that breaks that field changes the state of the sensor. Bikes are more than enough to trip these, as they can also be calibrated to measure fill on cereal boxes and small non ferrous material like that.

Some intersections have 3 white 'pucks' which are painted on the right hand side...this was created because some proper bicyclists would wait for green lights and their bikes weren't enough to set off the sensors in the lane...you can stop on those...or as others have said wait a few minutes and if it doesn't change I just proceed cautiously and make the left.

2011 CBR250R
    2008 CBR125R (Enjoyed...sold...not forgotten)

I usually wait until a car pulls up behind me, then I slowly inch forward and wave the person behind me to come closer so they go over the sensor, works like a charm (Unless your riding when no traffic is around) then I'd just go right and turn around... I am not sure about the "Treat like a stop light" considering the police officers here and how they can give you a nasty ticket for turning on a red... you dont want that..
    Lets Ride

This actually happens to me pretty often during late night rides... 2 days ago, I got stuck at 2 lights in a row. The first light was at a left turn on light only but after about 3 mins another car pulled up and triggered the sensor. The 2nd light I was sitting there alone as that car made a turn and sat there for about 5 mins as I was extra cautious of this light as it was an 80 zone on a curve. The light switched for the other side of traffic but not for mine cause the sensor didn't sense me. I just made the left on the red while the light was green for the other side of the road.

These lights were on Centre St & Dufferin and Centre & Hwy 7 at 4:00AM. Just be careful after waiting a while and treat it as a stop sign, when in doubt, better safe than sorry. I have a camera recording when I ride so if I were to get a ticket, I would have some kind of proof of time elapsed of waiting at that light (Usually about 3-4 mins).

I'd say making a right turn and U-turn would probably be more dangerous to perform and it would be illegal anyways if you do it within 150(ft or meters - I forgot) of the intersection. Sometimes it is not possible to do so anyways due to islands separating flow of traffic.
    Last edited by PLau; 05-04-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    I'd say making a right turn and U-turn would probably be more dangerous to perform and it would be illegal anyways if you do it within 150(ft or meters - I forgot) of the intersection. Sometimes it is not possible to do so anyways due to islands separating flow of traffic.
    Come again? Go read the HTA.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by imnothng View Post
    Come again? Go read the HTA.
    Err... Guess I remembered it wrong... But anyways there are conditions I guess...

Before you make a U-turn, check to make sure there is no sign saying not to.

To make a U-turn safely, you must be able to see well in both directions. It is illegal to make a U-turn on a curve in the road, on or near a railway crossing or hilltop, or near a bridge or tunnel that blocks your view. Never make a U-turn unless you can see at least 150 metres in both directions.
    To make a U-turn, signal for a right turn, check your mirror and over your shoulder and pull over to the right side of the road. Stop. Signal a left turn and when traffic is clear in both directions, move forward and turn quickly and sharply into the opposite lane. Check for traffic as you turn.

In my case, it couldn't have been done due to the center divider going on for at least 1km before there was an opening.
    Last edited by PLau; 05-04-2012 at 05:24 PM.

I've had this same thing happen to me quite a bit. I've done as some others here posted. Once I was stuck waiting, and I motioned the car behind me to come forward a bit. She must have misunderstood, 'cause she came up my right side. Either way, it finally triggered the light, and we had a good laugh about it, before I pulled away. Other times, I had to do a right turn, and turn around. Now, I try to plan my route, so I won't have to deal with this at times when traffic is light, and I can't count on a car coming to my rescue

switch it into neutral and play the tank bongos. enjoy those red lights

I've had luck by putting her in neutral putting down the kick and hitting the throttle. Usually works if I'm sitting on the sensor.
    People are stupid. They will believe anything you tell them either because they want it to be true or afraid that it is.

Riding during the day, i've never had this problem because there would be a car at the intersection. During the night, i would sat at some lights for a good 5minutes before i realized the lights aren't changing. Ever since I've been making a right turn into a U turn or if its a side road and I'm positive it's safe, make a left.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    switch it into neutral and play the tank bongos. enjoy those red lights

That's my favourite instrument. Adds a nice bass line to compliment my 250's whistling tank.

Quote Originally Posted by absolute View Post
    3 options really
    3) get off ur bike walk to press the pedestrian crossing button
    *if a cop sees you doing this, you will get a ticket for abandoning your motor vehicle*
    Can someone tell me the actual legalities of this?

As far as I know, it is illegal to leave your vehicle running attended. However, what if you turn off the engine, take the key with you, and then press the pedestrian crossing button? Would that be legal? Sometimes the lights just won't trigger no matter how long I wait and there are no signs of anyone else on the road so I end up resorting to this. Legal?

most the times I've found myself on lights with sensors, I put the stand down and chill, it will eventually start the pedestrian counter and then ill get ready to go again and put the stand up. If you find yourself in a lot of this lights, plan a new way home
    Here is where I put my signature!!

2012 Candy Green Kawasaki 250cc
    2000 Black Honda Rebel 250cc - Sold