Video: 1982 Sabre 700 with an odd problem

Thread: Video: 1982 Sabre 700 with an odd problem

Video: 1982 Sabre 700 with an odd problem

Hey ya'll. My bikes been having this odd problem. In neutral, while tilted, a rattling noise emanates from engine/transmission area.

I haven't been posting much due to this bike being in such bad condition; I couldn't make it out for the rides and such.. but I want to get back into the grind of things.

-Tej

Vivere est vincere

Re: Video: 1982 Sabre 700 with an odd problem

First thing I would do is open the clutch cover and inspect all the plates and springs.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    First thing I would do is open the clutch cover and inspect all the plates and springs.
    alright, we adjusted the screws holding the clutch plates together to the right tension. Now we get an odd consistent rattling when the clutch is pulled in...

also, I had a problem with the bike cutting out in 5th gear at 5000rpm. I posted before, but hadn't gotten any serious replies. Any clue on what that could be?
    Vivere est vincere

Bike that old I would imagine the clutch basket has slop. What you are hearing is one of two things and possibly both. When you pull in the clutch you are separating the pack allowing freeplay between the steels and the friction plates (drive and driven). Both have tangs that fit into the basket (steels-internal and friction external) as time marches on the aluminium basket gets worn allowing them to bounce around in the grooves in worst case scenario they will actually hang up when the clutch is released allowing them to slip. Also on the base of most outer baskets its attached to a ring/gear generally through a series of springs. the idea of the springs is to take away some driveline lash by allowing a soft connection. Over time these springs get weak allowing too much play between the basket (clutch) and the gear. On occasion they will even break up.
    The only way to determine whats wrong is to disassemble and look.

weren't those V4's known for cam chain problems?
    "If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    Bike that old I would imagine the clutch basket has slop. What you are hearing is one of two things and possibly both. When you pull in the clutch you are separating the pack allowing freeplay between the steels and the friction plates (drive and driven). Both have tangs that fit into the basket (steels-internal and friction external) as time marches on the aluminium basket gets worn allowing them to bounce around in the grooves in worst case scenario they will actually hang up when the clutch is released allowing them to slip. Also on the base of most outer baskets its attached to a ring/gear generally through a series of springs. the idea of the springs is to take away some driveline lash by allowing a soft connection. Over time these springs get weak allowing too much play between the basket (clutch) and the gear. On occasion they will even break up.
    The only way to determine whats wrong is to disassemble and look.
    The knocking noise did indeed turn out to be freeplay with the clutch plates. It wasn't caused by wear, but yes by having the bolts that hold the basket in place to be too tight. Holy shiznat man, how in the name of bacon could you tell that from that crappy video? Otherwise the plates were in great shape.

Thanks a ton for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripletrouble View Post
    weren't those V4's known for cam chain problems?
    I suspected that chain to be original culprit, which I believe is now causing the slight rattling when the clutch is pulled in during nuetral. I can't find any specs in the hayes repair manual for it, so might just end up ordering a new chain (or atleast attempting to tighten this one.)

Does anyone have any clue what the 5th gear issue could be? I'm guessing worn transmission gears, but ah, who knows.
    Vivere est vincere