Need advice: report an accident if don't intend to claim?

Thread: Need advice: report an accident if don't intend to claim?

Need advice: report an accident if don't intend to claim?

hi everyone,

i originally posted this in the new rider forum, but perhaps its more appropriate here in the insurance forum.

this is my first time in an accident. ever. in 16 years driving; although first year of riding. i have no clue what to do, so please be gentle.

the short of it is that i was in an accident on my motorcycle. the only outcome in the end was a scrape on my knee and damage to my motorcycle. nobody else was hurt, no other property was damaged, the other car involved didn't receive any damage and was not even written up in the accident report. more details below if you care...

i currently have an accident report in my hand that names only me and i'm not sure if i need to report it to my insurance company or not. i don't intend to file a claim as the damage to my bike will be less than my deductible ($1000). should i still report this to my insurance company? will my rates go up even if i don't file a claim? what happens when i try to renew my insurance next year? what happens if i want to buy another car or bike and want to get that insured? i'm not sure what to do at this stage.

could i please get your advice on this?

oh, the insurance company i'm with is primmum if that matters at all.

many thanks in advance,
    jus

===

details:

so i was on my motorcycle the other night near my apartment. i was following a right-curve in the road when a cab on the opposite side of the street started turning left out another apartment block into the street. unfortunately, that was at the apex of the turn and i suppose he didn't see me. i braked to avoid him as it looked like he didn't see me and was continuing to proceed, however i braked too hard and was thrown off my bike. after a few choice words for the cab driver, i looked back to see my bike on its side in the middle of the road. shortly after a tow truck, ambulance, and fire truck showed up. it turns out the superintendent in one of the nearby buildings called 911 to report the accident. i spent the next little while being checked out by the fire department folks and the paramedics in the back of the ambulance. when the police showed up, they told me that though the other guy was an ***, he technically didn't impede the flow of traffic because he didn't cross the centre line (recall he was turning left out of the building on the other side of the road). i think he might have let the cabbie off with a warning (i really don't know) and then the cabbie left. when the cop came back to the ambulance and handed me an accident report listing just my details. nothing was filled out about the other driver and nothing was filled out in the comments about the details of the accident other than the approx. speed field. no damage or anything else listed. the damage to my bike is minor and probably not even over the cost of my $1000 deductible. just a crack in the fairing, a bent clutch handle, and a broken left-side mirror. i intend to pay for the repairs out of pocket (or even do some of them) myself.

Re: Need advice: report an accident if don't intend to claim?

I would not report the accident to insurance, because of your deductable and small damage, just repair the bike with your own and dotn tell insurance anything, if the cab driver tries claim against you then insurance will know or if you report the accident at mto. If you are going to fix the bike yourself and you are okay then it would be ideal not to tell them.

So what I can gather is that your accident report states it's a SVA (single vehicle accident). Which means you're at fault for the accident. That means your insurance rates will go up next year if you report it.

At this point your insurer will probably find out anyway due to the Fire department coming out. They usually submit a bill to the insurance company for their call out. (THis issue has been beat to death on a seperate thread). So, you can call your insurance company and give them a head up, or you can remain silent and wait for them to call you.

I can't really comment on renewing or getting new insurance. I'm an injury claims adjuster with some property damage experience. I don't want to give you false hope about this accident going unnoticed. Once the cops and the fire department showed up, the cats outta the bag.

I hope this provided some light as to your situation.
    Winners never quit, quitters never win, and those who don't try are just idiots

Oh man, I didn't even know there'd be a cost for Fire, Ambulance, and Police. I just assumed it was my taxes that paid for that.

Is there an option to report, but not make a claim? At least until I actually see a bill from the city?

Quote Originally Posted by jus View Post
    Oh man, I didn't even know there'd be a cost for Fire, Ambulance, and Police. I just assumed it was my taxes that paid for that.

Is there an option to report, but not make a claim? At least until I actually see a bill from the city?
    I am sorry for your crash, I would like to know the outcome with the insurance. I suggest to chat with a broker and find out. As far as the cabbies go, i think he will do everything to not be involved with any insurance issues. Their premiums are retarded and every little spot on their record hurts them.

The bottom line is that you are ok and everything else is secondary, so no matter what the outcome will be, you are still on top. Good luck.
    2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Midnight Custom

There won't be a cost for an Ambulance since you didn't go to the hospital. Had you gone, there would have been a $45.00 fee not covered by OHIP. That's actually recoverable under your auto policy. There's no cost for police. The fire department will charge a fee to you for the call out.

I've seen on the rare occasion the city bills the person directly and the person submits to their insurer. You might get lucky and be one of those people.

I'm thinking if they (Insurance) don't ask then you don't tell. If they ask then don't risk the long term by covering up. Play dumb but honest.

Sorry about the crash and glad it wasn't worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ABadjusterrider_5 View Post
    I've seen on the rare occasion the city bills the person directly and the person submits to their insurer. You might get lucky and be one of those people.
    So even if they send me the bill directly, it sounds like Primmum will still find out when I renew my insurance next year. And same deal too for my auto insurance (different company) when it comes time to renew or potentially even if I choose to buy and insure a new car this year.

I'll have to dig around a bit more and figure out if there's an option to just report, but not claim anything. It wouldn't make sense to have to pay a deductible just to report something, right? If that's the case, I'll have to try to find a shop that will make the most of my $1000 deductible!

Thanks to everyone for their sympathies. Sixteen years being on 4 wheels and not one at fault. Only had to deal with insurance maybe 2 times when I was the not-at-fault driver. Less than 3 months on a bike...
    Last edited by jus; 05-05-2012 at 06:58 PM.

So even if they send me the bill directly, it sounds like Primmum will still find out when I renew my insurance next year. And same deal too for my auto insurance (different company) when it comes time to renew or potentially even if I choose to buy and insure a new car this year.

I'll have to dig around a bit more and figure out if there's an option to just report, but not claim anything. It wouldn't make sense to have to pay a deductible just to report something, right? If that's the case, I'll have to try to find a shop that will make the most of my $1000 deductible!

Thanks to everyone for their sympathies. Sixteen years being on 4 wheels and not one at fault. Only had to deal with insurance maybe 2 times when I was the not-at-fault driver. Less than 3 months on a bike...
    That's ok dude, what's done is done. Focus on fixing your bike and wait it out.
    Hopefully nothing bad will happen. And even if it did, it is all money and plastic while your limbs are still intact, to sum it up for you, you are still ahead.

I dropped my bike 60 days into riding iirc, to me now it is a memory that I learned from, but that's it. It bugs me sometimes but I try not to dwell over it. fix up your bike quick as the nice weather is already here and you don't want to miss out.
    2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Midnight Custom

I agree with Noobie48. Just wait and do nothing. If they ask, tell them and be honest. If they don't, say nothing and count your luck stars