Need tech help: Slow upload

Thread: Need tech help: Slow upload

Need tech help: Slow upload

Well. As my laptop gets older, it gets slower.
    I've done a defragment, cleared out the start up list for crap I don't use, and did a disk clean up... No help.

My biggest issue right now, is I have a download speed of about 6MBPS, but my upload is .67mbps...
    I've been trying to upload my gopro footage to youtube, it took me over a day and it still hadn't completely finished.
    I turned off my modem for a bit and plugged it back in too, to see if it would help.
    It's been like this for a few days as far as I can tell.

Any tips?
    Seems like the computer is always "warm" and thinking when I have nothing running up front. I took it apart to see if it was dirty inside but it was spotless so I can't explain the heat build up and am assuming it's just the computer working.

It can hardly handle simple gopro clips in movie maker now, last year I was able to edit some good little videos, but no way is that happening now.

Re: Need tech help: Slow upload

The upload speed should be strictly a matter of throttling by your ISP. You are paying for .67mbps up, so that's what they give you.

The only way I know to restore the youthfulness of a PC is to restore a disk image from an earlier date. Well, either that or reinstall the OS from scratch.
    There is no planet B.

go to www.speedtest.net and test your connection, it will also give you a comparison of speeds other people are getting with your ISP.

0.67 Mbps is about 80kb/s, which is the average upload speed ISPs throttle people to.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

How much of your hard drive are you using? How big is it?

Windows XP, Vista, 7?

All laptops get hot. It happens when you have the power of a desktop in the size of a book. No room for cooling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

It really depends on how big the footage is, might depend on the server you're uploading to and if your computer (and/or another computer/other computers on your network) is/are infected with malware, it/they might already be uploading a bunch of junk, slowing down your legitimate upload as the pipe is only so wide (.67Mbps).
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

run a scandisk (a complete one)
    Clear up any programs you're not using
    Uninstall anything beside the clock you're not using
    Resident Loudmouth

Pretty sure it's a limitation of your internet plan - who are you with and what plan? Like posted above, 80k/sec is standard for crappy internet plans.

Only way to increase that is to switch plans...

If you're with Rogers, here are the uploads speeds for each plan: http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...=INTER_HISPEED

As you can see, 2MBs is the fastest which equals approx 250k/sec

If you are with Teksavvy or some other DSL provider, you can obtain much higher upload speeds:

http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

Up to 7MBs (875k/sec) is possible - the time to upload your video clips would be less than 1/10th of what it is currently.
    Last edited by Xhumeka; 05-03-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Maybe the file is just huge then, as I picked the best possible quality. I'll go in and change that up.
    Never had this issue before, I've been with Bell (only service I can get here) for a few years.

The raw video from your camera is most likely gigantic multiple gigabyte files.
    Use a seperate video encoder to compress the video down to a fraction of the size.

For example, you can convert a 4 gig file down to 700 megabyte and still keep good video quality after converting to a H264 format.. Youtube will always degrade your high definition footage anyway so its not a real big loss.
    Lets Ride

Your ISP doesn't want to see your vids
    Resident Loudmouth

Wireless or wired internet setup?
    Sleeping is my drug,
    My bed is my dealer,
    and my alarm clock
    is the police.

wireless, I'm the only one on my network.

how big is the file that you are trying to upload?

I tried a smaller format, so far it's going a lot faster... Thanks guys, simple solution!