electric water heater woes - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: electric water heater woes

Re: electric water heater woes

I'm not a big fan of sharkbites.. They can always crap out on you. A lot easier to just sweat it with mapp. Using the blue stuff on wet lines is a real hassle, even though a bit of bread goes a long way
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

My experience is that when they start tripping the breaker, you have a bad element, but it's not completely shot. What has happened is the copper jacket on the element has rotted through and water has entered has entered between the actual heating element (probably Nichrome) and the copper jacket. This will cause the nichrome to corrode fairly quickly and then you will just not get hot water very quickly (assuming the other eelelment is OK). As mentioned above, you probably have a lot of scale and may have a real problem removing the element; don't worry about damaging the element as you pull it out since you're probably going to replace it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by meester_jamie View Post
    the best way to check an element is with a clamp on ammeter... turn on the upper element,, clamp on red wire,, then the black wire,, compare the 2 readings, they should be the same. clamp on the cold water pipe. you should get zero current flow in the water pipe.
    a bad element can short to ground, and bypass the temp switch,, it will be hot to neutral connection,, well,, hot to ground. so you will see current in the water pipe ground,, when this happens,, the tank usually overheats too. and the pressure relief will be wet or show signs of leaking.
    If they are immersion elements,, drain the tank, have a wet vac handy, and pull out the bottom element, catch the water and lime with the wet vac .. if the element is buggered , it will probably take a bit of yanking to get it out,,, once out,, clean out the loose lime,, then install your new element..
    good luck... a lot easier to install a new tank.. especially with ferule style compression fittings.. no soldering needed.
    i have two yellow wires going to the water heater... (well one yellow cable with 2 conductors)... which one do i test first?
    x

Doesnt matter....They both carry the load.

Does the breaker trip as soon as you reset it or does it trip once in a while?

instant trip tells you its a short, while taking a while to trip shows a bad element thats pulling too much current. (on its way out...)
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post
    Doesnt matter....They both carry the load.

Does the breaker trip as soon as you reset it or does it trip once in a while?

instant trip tells you its a short, while taking a while to trip shows a bad element thats pulling too much current. (on its way out...)
    usually trips after a while though the time can vary between 1/2 hour and a week.
    x

Ok, so clamp around one of the two wires (not both) and get the amperage. Once you have it, compare it with the rated current draw of your water heater. If it's higher, you know it's the load and not the path leading up to it.
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578

breakers do get tired and trip on high load appliances, its rare but happens. The problem is 95% gonna be the heater.
    Its an old electric heater, don't bother with an element or trouble shooting, disconnect and toss it. It will rust through and leak shortly. Just get another unit and plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by crankcall View Post
    It will rust through and leak shortly. Just get another unit and plug and play.
    That's my philosophy now..if you're not around, you can pump a LOT of water into your house before you realize it's leaking. O_o
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

i noticed looking at ct, hh and hd they didn't list elements in their catalogs, and talking to a pro it was suggested that replacing the element would just cause a leak so now the trick is deciding what water heater to replace with, i notice that my water heater has a pipe at the bottom and at the top and it's about 20-30 dollars more for that style over the ones with two pipes at the top... what's the difference?

also it's just me and some times my gf in a 4 bedroom house. is it worth while having a 60 gallon tank (what i have currently) or should i look at something smaller? hot water usage tends to be the dishwasher (3-4 times a week) and daily showers. I think my hot water heater is about at least 1/2 my electricity usage (don't get me started on the delivery costs).
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    i noticed looking at ct, hh and hd they didn't list elements in their catalogs, and talking to a pro it was suggested that replacing the element would just cause a leak so now the trick is deciding what water heater to replace with, i notice that my water heater has a pipe at the bottom and at the top and it's about 20-30 dollars more for that style over the ones with two pipes at the top... what's the difference?

also it's just me and some times my gf in a 4 bedroom house. is it worth while having a 60 gallon tank (what i have currently) or should i look at something smaller? hot water usage tends to be the dishwasher (3-4 times a week) and daily showers. I think my hot water heater is about at least 1/2 my electricity usage (don't get me started on the delivery costs).
    New regs state that the maintain temp in the tank must be high enough to kill bacteria but the output temperature must be low enough to prevent scalds. This is done by a mixer valve on top of the tank. A plumber could give you more info on piping types and advantages..

Put in the plug in the tub next time you shower and guestimate the amount of water you use. Judge for yourself if smaller tank would work out. If it's stall, time your shower and measure the flow rate afterwards with a pail. Check your dishwater specs for usage. 60 gallons sounds big for what you describe.

Some RVs and boats have small 5 or 10 gallon hot water tanks and people still shower. I don't know if a point of use heater is worth looking at or how well they work.

Do you see any change in consumption in the next 5 to 10 years. Additional bodies etc,
    Last edited by nobbie48; 05-08-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    Do you see any change in consumption in the next 5 to 10 years. Additional bodies etc,
    Pardon the pun but I'll throw the baby shower

A 60gal is enough for 5 women, 1 guy and 2 dishwashers. You'd be better off with a 40.

on demand heaters in an electric configuration will be A; expensive as hell to buy , B; expensive as hell to operate

I had a 60gal , 4 people, 3 baths, dishwasher(s) , I went to a 50, still lots. you could get by with a 45 easy in my humble opinion.

the difference between new style, both pipes in top and bottom/ top configuration is the water swirls as it enters the tank, makes for a better mix of hot water within the tank ( no thermocline) and its alleged to make less sediment settle. The new code of an antiscald valve on top adds about $100 to the project. If your doing your own install ( a fitter has to install the valve) and you never had one I'd skip it personally.

I love those shark bite idiot fittings, no fuss, never had one leak and there are lots of parts to let go ahead of that fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Pardon the pun but I'll throw the baby shower
    Hell no, no threesomes so unless some one's imaginary friend steps in (and then I'm having the church charged with rape) or you provide the baby (I get the option to return it when it annoys/inconveniences/i get bored of it) no baby showers.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post

We have a gas flash heater and would recommend the same. Little box on the wall never runs out of hot water and doesn't cost a penny when hot water isn't bring used.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOke View Post
    We have a gas flash heater and would recommend the same. Little box on the wall never runs out of hot water and doesn't cost a penny when hot water isn't bring used.
    if gas were available it would be an option
    x