Oil

Thread: Oil

Oil

Hey guys i was just wondering what motorcycle oil i should buy for my bike, i have a canadian tire down the street from my house so i wanted to go pick one up and get an oil change done. Thanks a lot for your help.

Re: Oil

What bike? I use Rotella T6 in my 250...no probs and cheap.
    Bike: 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Cage: 2002 Supercharged SVT Focus

Quote Originally Posted by bikermahn View Post
    What bike? I use Rotella T6 in my 250...no probs and cheap.
    I have a ninja 400r, im trying to figure out which oil and filter to get im drifting towards amsoil synthetic but have no idea what filter to get

I like the K&N filters, they were pretty cheap at GPBikes when they had their 20% off sale so I grabbed a few. I tried the cheap filters from Royal and they didn't come with any of the gaskets or anything and actually cost the same :S
    Bike: 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Cage: 2002 Supercharged SVT Focus

If you're going to work on your bike, even simple stuff like oil changes, do yourself a favour and buy the service manual. It'll be the best money you spend on your bike.

And if you really don't know what filter to buy, call a dealership and order the OEM version for your bike.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

+1, you can save a fair bit doing basic maintenance yourself. My preference is motul 7100, but if your not a track junkie, you don't really need anything fancy

Quote Originally Posted by oomis View Post
    If you're going to work on your bike, even simple stuff like oil changes, do yourself a favour and buy the service manual. It'll be the best money you spend on your bike.

And if you really don't know what filter to buy, call a dealership and order the OEM version for your bike.
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

Yea i was gunna get a buddy of mine to do the change for me lol, i just dont know what filter to get

Any motorcycle oil of the correct weight, most Japanese models use 10w40 but verify. Use the OEM filter from the dealer.

If you use regular or synthetic just make sure it is motorcycle specific oil as car oils have friction modifiers that will foul your clutch.

Whichever oil you use just change it at the prescribed intervals outlined in the owners manual.

Expensive oils like Motul 7100 are fine but overkill, the important thing is changing regularly oil and filter. I usually change every 5000 kms or twice a season once at the end of the season and once mid season as that usually is every 5000km for each of my bikes.

2008 Triumph Bonneville T100
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT