Parking on Islands at Fairview mall - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parking on Islands at Fairview mall

Re: Parking on Islands at Fairview mall

Quote Originally Posted by MadPoet View Post
    The private property act based tickets are something like "parking a vehicle on private property without consent", that makes it a multi purpose type ticket unlike "expired meter" or "invalid sticker" which are very specific tickets.

The site has to be certified in order to enforce parking regulations, most likely those spots will be labelled, signed, or otherwise not enforced. If you get a ticket challenge it if there were no signs.

I personally won't park on the shaded areas/spots.
    i agree, that places were you can and can not park require proper signage

however, they don't need a sign to say motorcycles can't park on sidewalks or in a manner that would prohibit pedestrian traffic

In Brampton this is a big *** ticket item: ACCESS AISLES

those striped lines on the pavement in Brampton have set fines of $300.00 payable to the City

however, an access aisle also constitutes walkways, so anything that would interfere with the movement of people, especially with disabilities would result in that $300.00 fine

this is an example of someone getting an obstruct access aisle ticket; all they needed to do was touch the yellow line

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    If you want to be a mall security guard, you have to be narrow minded, lack all logic and common sense, and be rude while trying to bully people around.
    In general, they are just angry because they failed high sKool.
    Most bar bouncers are more professional.
    Actually, most wouldn't give a flying **** where you shove your bike.
    But the owners and shopkeepers have an image to maintain.
    Motorcycles parking on the islands, isn't part of that image.
    How upset do you think they'd be if they lost your business, and you parked out front of the competition, scaring away its customers?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

I say the guy parked on the center island so idiot drivers don't cream his bike in a regular spot.
    Most malls have lots of extra space where they could put moto-specific parking, but that would mean someone would be doing their job correctly in Ontario, and that just won't do.

If you want to be a mall security guard, you have to be narrow minded, lack all logic and common sense, and be rude while trying to bully people around.
    Don't get me started on mall parking...
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

I say the guy parked on the center island so idiot drivers don't cream his bike in a regular spot.
    Most malls have lots of extra space where they could put moto-specific parking, but that would mean someone would be doing their job correctly in Ontario, and that just won't do.

I used to think like that until I worked as a security guard in a mall for exactly 3 days. The amount of BS I dealt with in those days made me think twice about working in a mall again. From the fire and safety, to the crowd control "Christmas", to the lunch hour and high school gangs wanna be, to the shoplifters and ****** off customers and vendors. Then to get the people to leave when the mall closes, that's another ball game.

Even while issuing tags for dicks parking in the handicapped parking spots, you get spit on, told off, cursed at and all for $8-$12/hr and all you can really do is ask them to leave. Anyone who has to do that job, no matter how nice of a person you are, in due time you will start loosing patience. I don't agree that any of them should be rude under any circumstances, but sure as hell I understand why.
    2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Midnight Custom

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Isn't Fairview where this happened to a security guard?
    http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/ar...-mall-shooting
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Erin Mills has motorcycle specific parking as well. Not always open though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jerk.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	28438
    2012 Ducati Monster 696

Quote Originally Posted by budgetracing View Post
    Erin Mills has motorcycle specific parking as well. Not always open though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jerk.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	28438
    That figures...

The moral of this thread is, beware of the mall parking lot drivers in Ontario and don't ever take a job as a security guard.

I used to think like that until I worked as a security guard in a mall for exactly 3 days. The amount of BS I dealt with in those days made me think twice about working in a mall again. From the fire and safety, to the crowd control "Christmas", to the lunch hour and high school gangs wanna be, to the shoplifters and ****** off customers and vendors. Then to get the people to leave when the mall closes, that's another ball game.

Even while issuing tags for dicks parking in the handicapped parking spots, you get spit on, told off, cursed at and all for $8-$12/hr and all you can really do is ask them to leave. Anyone who has to do that job, no matter how nice of a person you are, in due time you will start loosing patience. I don't agree that any of them should be rude under any circumstances, but sure as hell I understand why.
    I think they have to remember that they're only getting paid $8-$12/hr..and act accordingly. A security guard tried to "apprehend" a friend of mine and my friend knocked him out. The police were called and the guard wanted the guy charged with assault and was making all kinds of threats..the police told him to shut up or they'd let my friend hit him again! My point is, for $12/hr, I'm sitting back and calling the po-po..

I agree that security guards should act accordingly and not go on power trips, but when they are issuing tickets or asking people to leave, they're just doing their job so don't hate on them or look down on them (same goes for police officers and parking enforcers IMHO). And please, don't be so judgmental.
    Current 2009 Ninja 250R - Blue

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    I think they have to remember that they're only getting paid $8-$12/hr..and act accordingly. A security guard tried to "apprehend" a friend of mine and my friend knocked him out. The police were called and the guard wanted the guy charged with assault and was making all kinds of threats..the police told him to shut up or they'd let my friend hit him again! My point is, for $12/hr, I'm sitting back and calling the po-po..
    I understand that there are a lot of arrogant cops wanna be type of guards out there. But the vast majority of guards are simply doing their duties, and part of those duties is to use as much force as necessary to remove undesirables from private properties, simply asking someone to leave politely doesn't work all of the time. You can't call the police every night when trying to lock up because someone is mouthing off and refusing to leave. Most of the time people just obey and leave, and there are times where you need to throw someone out.

For your friend to get to the point of getting apprehended, either the guard was just an idiot who did not do his best to resolve it nicely or your friend is just a piece of work. From what you said the guard did not respect the presence of the police officers, and for them to tell him to shut up then he really got on their nerves. 9 out of 10 times cops are on the side of the guards if they are simply trying to do their job. Like nv_-me said, don't hate on them for doing just that.
    2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Midnight Custom

I understand that there are a lot of arrogant cops wanna be type of guards out there. But the vast majority of guards are simply doing their duties, and part of those duties is to use as much force as necessary to remove undesirables from private properties, simply asking someone to leave politely doesn't work all of the time. You can't call the police every night when trying to lock up because someone is mouthing off and refusing to leave. Most of the time people just obey and leave, and there are times where you need to throw someone out.

For your friend to get to the point of getting apprehended, either the guard was just an idiot who did not do his best to resolve it nicely or your friend is just a piece of work. From what you said the guard did not respect the presence of the police officers, and for them to tell him to shut up then he really got on their nerves. 9 out of 10 times cops are on the side of the guards if they are simply trying to do their job. Like nv_-me said, don't hate on them for doing just that.
    I hear ya..I'm not hating really. But they have limited powers..they shouldn't be trying to manhandle someone without identifying themselves or at least starting a dialog. I understand they're just doing a job really..it's more about the poor pay they get and the expectations that are placed on them. It's not fair really.

Yea it's an actual ticket. I received 2 of them when I parked in in the big sidewalk next to the theatre entrance. And as for Town Centre, it's cool with them if you park in the sidewalks. I know that you can park on the side near the entrance of TD and on the side near the entrance of Scotiabank.
    Winter: '04 Acura TSX
    Summer: '06 Ninja 650R
    Daily: Coming Soon

Fairview mall Guards are MLEO certified so they write City of Toronto tickets. Most malls owned by Oxford Properties or Cadillac Fairview Corp. have their guards certified to issue City of Toronto tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by afelotreyu View Post
    So today I was having a beer and wings at St. Louis at Fairview, noticed a guy on a bike park just on the concrete island in front of the restaurant and run into the mall. Few minutes later as I was walking out a "Mall Security" is writing him a ticket, he was already placing it on the bike. I approach the guy and asked him why he was doing that and he started referencing some Ontario Law which i did not care about. I told him the reason I asked was because I also ride and I usually take a parking spot and find drivers dislike this because we take such a small space, and parking on the island will leave a parking spot open for another customer to access the mall, he said "this is not a parking spot and you cant park here, take the parking spot all for yourself we don't care, you are doing a good thing by taking a full parking spot".

So just a heads up this was a real ticket or it seem like a real one, so stay off the islands at Fairview mall, park at a parking spot, if you ride as a group take one parking spot each so the "Security Mall" has no excuses to tag you.

Just saying.
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    ... parking on the island harms no one and helps everyone.
    From my experience those concrete islands are there for a reason. They are usually there to control traffic flow and for safety. Take a minute and think of the sight-line of a driver as he approaches that concrete island. He most likely will depend on the space above the concrete island to be clear in order to have an unobstructed view of cross-traffic he's merging into. That is why we can't park our motorcycles there and you can't park your Hummers/SUV there either, even if it is Boxing Day and the parking lot is 'full'.

Same goes with those yellow painted diagonal lines on the pavement they may have at the end of a row of parked cars. They are there to make sure that area is unobstructed so vehicles can easily negotiate the turn at the end of the row. Sometimes I'll drive along to the end of a row and turn, but notice the turn is extremely tight and might even require me to reverse to complete the turn. Often times I'll notice the tightness of the turn is caused by a car has decided to 'create a spot' for himself by parking on yellow painted diagonal lines, and of course that space was designed to be unobstructed for traffic control and everyone's safety.

A Friend f mine works at Cadillac Fairview and their owned Malls (Limeridge and Erinmills Town Centre) have had this problem on Motorcycles parking in/on islands and sidwalks on around their buildings. This is a Fire code or aisle, so they decided to make Parking areas for Motorcycles. I have not seen the Erinmills parking, but the one at Limeridge Mall in Hamilton has cement posts in place so no cars can use the spots, and there is a Cemnt strip for your kickstand....so it doesnt sink into the Pavement and til over. It is also security patrolled more often, and I think it might even have video on it as well.

http://www.limeridge.ca/en/centreinf...s/Parking.aspx

Although strip malls cannot do this, the bigger malls can...maybe make a suggestion to your local mall.