Rear tire lost control in tracks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear tire lost control in tracks

Rear tire lost control in tracks

Hi guys... the unfortunate happened... was making a slow turn because i knew it was raining and im crossing streetcar tracks, however tire went somehow into one of the deeper grooves and lost end lost control. Left side of the bike damaged ... fairing, stator cover. foot peg, rear subframe the spool came off.. shifter and few other things. Much damage for such a slow speed. Anyways was wondering what would be the best place for me to get an estimate on the damage? debating if to make a claim or repair myself. Hurting a little bit so this took me a while to type out. Oh and also the bike is a Honda. Is somebody available to
    give an estimate by coming to my place or i have to bring it to a shop? which one?

Thanks and be careful out there...

Re: Rear tire lost control in tracks

that sucks op Glad your ok...

Ebay is your friend, honda forums, local bike salvage yards. Dont go to dealerships to buy parts. To change all that stuff will take you couple hours, 6 hours if youre stupid
    WINNING!

Can you post pics of the damage?
    New to me for 2012.

Sucks man, sorry to hear. Most of that stuff should be relatively cheap and easy to fix though if you go through ebay. Kapscomoto in Ajax sells ebay-like stuff for pretty cheap. Mostly small parts like spools, foot pegs, sliders, etc.

Which bike do you have? I recently saw some '07 RR plastics for sale on kijiji including stator cover I believe.

Ebay is an option.. but I'm worried this will cost more than 2k to repair if i include the rear subframe (guess i could get the spool rewelded)

I apologize for the upside down photos, converter did this automatically for some reason.

Sorry to hear about this. If rear tire slipped out you may have been on the gas a bit too much/to early?

Anyway, check the salvage Yards for parts. What bike it is?

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I ride a 08 cbr600rr graffiti edition. I did see fairings come up on ebay few times, I guess I will have to fish for those... is it possible to reweld a spool or I need to purchase a whole new rear subframe? Also got some scuffs on front end, tail... going to be expensive fairing replacement, yikes.

Does this damage look like it would exceed $2000 ? might have to suck it up and save up for all this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Sorry to hear about this. If rear tire slipped out you may have been on the gas a bit too much/to early?

Anyway, check the salvage Yards for parts. What bike it is?

Thx... The rear end slid without excessive gas, I rarely put any weight on the handlebars , all in the legs... so I have pretty good control over it... but I suppose when I tried to regain control, without thinking straight I may have put pressure on the gas making it even worse... all possible, don't recall much as it all happened so quick...

Filing a claim should be your very last option, as you will likely pay 5x the amount in premiums over the next few years. Even more if you car is insured through the same company. :s

Like others have said, ebay/kijiji/etc. If its just cosmetic, suck it up till you can replace the parts.
    Never to be taken seriously. Ever.

Thought so... thanks guys, will begin saving up and collecting parts. Appreciate your help. Ride safe... I think I'm off to a doctor, jacket took most of the hit, but hands still hurting

Where you able to ride it home? The damage doesn't seem that bad from the pictures. I can't tell if anything is bent from the pics. Is it just the spool that bust off? If so there is more than one way to lift the back end of a motorcycle.
    New to me for 2012.

gws rider

Quote Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
    Where you able to ride it home? The damage doesn't seem that bad from the pictures. I can't tell if anything is bent from the pics. Is it just the spool that bust off? If so there is more than one way to lift the back end of a motorcycle.
    Keith... I did ride it home as it wasn't far from home... 15minute drive. I haven't looked in detail if there is more damage... but it doesn't appear so.... is rewelding the spool possible or not safe?

Quote Originally Posted by rg0r View Post
    is it possible to reweld a spool or I need to purchase a whole new rear subframe?
    You mean the threaded metal tab that holds the spool broke off the swingarm? (when you said "subframe" I was thinking the frame under the tail and seat)
    Sure, you can have that welded back on. Depending on how it broke off, you might have to get a new tab vs welding the original piece. Either way, shouldn't cost much.

Foot pegs should be cheap enough on ebay. There's a guy down the street from me who sells footpegs (~$30), mirrors (~$60) and other misc items. Probably cheaper on ebay but if you want to pickup locally I can try to look up his contact info for you (North York).

Nice bike btw. I'm thinking of getting a graffiti.

Oh, btw... http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ354952879

Just keep checking ebay, stunters forums, craigslist, kijiji, and call all local junk yards listed in dealers section of this forum. You'll get most of your parts very quickly. Fairings are usually the hardest to get if you have rare colours.

Will need to pay for shipping from the US, but check the f/s section of 600rr.net

I have seen a complete set of OEM graffiti plastics pop up a few times but there are always those looking to get rid of a left side/right side depending how they sent down.

i hear track bike :P

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Quote Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
    You mean the threaded metal tab that holds the spool broke off the swingarm? (when you said "subframe" I was thinking the frame under the tail and seat)
    Sure, you can have that welded back on. Depending on how it broke off, you might have to get a new tab vs welding the original piece. Either way, shouldn't cost much.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking too.

Personally I wouldn't even bother welding it on.
    I don't have a rear stand and use this for wheel and chain maintenance

It was on sale at Auto Princess for $30 when I bought it.

When it doubt...milk cretes
    New to me for 2012.

Weld a spool back on? That's retarded. I have an 08 RR as well. A lady backed up into it while it was parked from gas side knocked over to clutch side. $2500 damage. She's going through insurance. The gas tank cover alone is over $600
    "They Say At 100MPH Water Feels Like Concrete, Just Imagine What Concrete Feels Like At 100mph" - Nicky Hayden

>< VC 01.