Building a light touring set-up... any advice on a decent sissy bar/backrest bag??

Thread: Building a light touring set-up... any advice on a decent sissy bar/backrest bag??

Hamilton (the armpit of southern Ontario)

Building a light touring set-up... any advice on a decent sissy bar/backrest bag??

This is my current set-up:

with my National Cycle F-16 "touring" windscreen (which is fine for brief jaunts on the highway):

plus this (still need to mount):

and this (still need to mount):

I think the soft bags will be adequate for 1-5 day runs, but I need a bit more space. I am thinking a good quality, waterproof sissy bar bag would work. Any suggestions? **BTW, I plan to take 1 week in Deals Gap, the first week of August.*** Of course, I'm riding down.
    Last edited by Triple; 05-02-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- back to simplicity, reliability, and ease-of-maintenance

Re: Building a light touring set-up... any advice on a decent sissy bar/backrest bag?

When I toured on my Nomad, I used to have a T-bag can't remember which one - it had a rain cover and worked quite well for me. I reversed it so it was sitting on the rear seat, attached to the sissy bar. It moves the weight closer to the centre of the bike, and especially if it's a larger bag and you overpack, most luggage racks aren't rated for that much weight.

The T-Bags are spendy, but if you do a lot of touring you learn pretty quickly not to cheap out on your gear.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Re: Building a light touring set-up... any advice on a decent sissy bar/backrest bag?

Personally I'm one for hard bags... secure and waterproof ... looks like a wing rack fits on your bike per this link, why not get the topbox ? have soft sides ?

http://www.pipeline.com/~randyo/Givi_Bags_on_a_750.htm

[img\http://www.pipeline.com/~randyo/NH-pics/750givi4.jpg[/img]

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

I have this and just love it.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Trunk-Bag.aspx

Not sure if it will work for you though because of the angle of the sissy bar.

Unfortunately the GIVI wingracks are discontinued for my model. Good kit.
    2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- back to simplicity, reliability, and ease-of-maintenance

I would suggest a tail bag for your bike. Many options out there with many different ways to attach it to the back seat.

By the way, your Nighthawk looks amazing! Super clean looking. Great bike too.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    I would suggest a tail bag for your bike. Many options out there with many different ways to attach it to the back seat.

By the way, your Nighthawk looks amazing! Super clean looking. Great bike too.
    Thanks. I bought it with only 5000 miles on the odometer! I was looking for a late model Nighthawk 750 for the last several years. The problem has always been that most used NH750's are either old and beat, or they are well cared for but with 60-100+ kilometres. Nobody seems to sell NH750's that are pristine and with low K's.

Gas, oil, and tires... (and the occasional plug and air filter change every 24,000 miles).... doesn't get any easier than that.

Thanks, I will look at tail bags. The last one I had for my SV1000S (Joe Rocket) was pretty decent.
    Last edited by Triple; 05-02-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiley View Post
    I have this and just love it.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Trunk-Bag.aspx

Not sure if it will work for you though because of the angle of the sissy bar.
    Exactly what I am looking for. Pretty spendy though. How is yours holding up?