Sharing a Bike

Thread: Sharing a Bike

Sharing a Bike

I have my m2 and my girlfriend is getting her m1. We are thinking about going halfsies on a bike. We are going to put it in her name and insure it under her also.

Am I allowed to ride the bike, if I have her permission, even if it is in her name and insured under her?

Re: Sharing a Bike

do you live together?

No we don't.

Have you discussed what'll happen in the event of a drop? What if one of you is ok with cosmetic damage but the other isn't?
    '04 CBR1000RR

what if one of you is OK with an insurance claim and the other is not?

This is a quick way to end a relationship.

if you're not married/living together this is going to be a nightmare in the making.
    New to me for 2012.

This is a terrible Idea for mostly the reasons mentioned.
    "Where we're going we don't need roads"
    "Where are we going?"
    "Brantford!"
    "Oh so we do need roads?"
    "Yea...."

SOLD for restoration - 83 Honda VT250FE
    2001 Katana 600

Normally a vehicle is shared among two people who live together. In that case, the insurer would assign the highest-rated operator as the principal operator. You're allowed to invite another operator to use your vehicle who DOESN'T live in the same household on the RARE OCCASION, but this sounds like a more frequent situation. Be sure to disclose the arrangement to your broker/agent so that you have done your due diligence. Depending on your ages and the number of years that you have held your M2, the premium might not be all that different between your girlfriend and yourself anyway.

As other members have mentioned, things could get a little hairy in the event of a claim. Should you be involved in an at-fault collision, it will be reflected in the insurance history of the person who owns the bike. For this reason, I never lend out my vehicles unless it's absolutely necessary and someone I really trust and have a very close relationship with.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by dale.gribble View Post
    We are thinking about going halfsies on a bike. We are going to put it in her name and insure it under her also.
    Your half will be the back half