What to do in a tire blow out?

Thread: What to do in a tire blow out?

What to do in a tire blow out?

Hey guys,
    Just out of curiosity, what is the proper method to control the bike should either of the tires blow out? It's happened to me in a car and it's not fun but I can't even imagine what to do on a bike? Neutral and let it slow down on its own? Slowly hit the brakes on the wheel that's still inflated? Engine braking with no brakes?
    Thanks!

2011 CBR250R
    2008 CBR125R (Enjoyed...sold...not forgotten)

Re: What to do in a tire blow out?

I had that years ago on the 403 with a CJ360T. I rode the flat to a stop with engine braking. It was a rear flowout so not as bad as a front would be.

If you haven't crashed right away, transfer your weight to the front if it's a rear flat, to the rear if it's a front flat. Use the brakes on the tire that's still good.

If it's the rear and you're in control of your motorcycle, you should be ok. If it's the front and you're going in a straight line, you should be ok. If it's the front and you're in a corner, good luck to you.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

i have had the rear tire blow out on me in the desert with a passenger... i just eased off the throttle and used the front brake (tho on the Honda's its a linked brake so did use a bit of both) ...

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

no no... all of this is incorrect. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to wheelie your way to a garage if the front blows out and stoppie if it's the rear. It's only considered stunting if you're doing it for fun

i had my rear go flat on the DVP south just past bayview bloor a few years back. rear end of the bike started swinging back and forth quite violently (i was doing about 120 when it happened)...slowed down, put my 4 ways on and slowly inched over to the right shoulder (was in the left lane when it happened). Controlling the bike was not as hard as moving over three lanes with traffic going by at twice the speed i was going as i had to slow down to about 60 to maintain control. pulling over on the left shoulder was not an option as there is no shoulder at that part of the highway. bike ended up being ok, rim was a bit beat up, tire was junk...ended up being a broken nail...which i picked up earlier in the day when i was going up the shoulder on the northbound side of the DVP to avoid traffic delays

lesson learned...i'd rather wait in traffic than risking my life to save a few seconds by picking up another nail on the shoulder of the DVP
    "You're living inspiration for what I never wanna be"

front blowout... shift weight back, slow steadily.
    back blowout... remain where you are, concentrate on your steering, slow steadily

This is what i hear anyway.

My friend was doing 120km/h on the 402 when his '74 CB had a front tire blowout. It wasn't really a blowout he said, the bead broke and he felt the front 'sloshing around', began to decelerate, peeked over the bars, saw the tire flopping around... apparently he made it down to about 70km/h before the front washed out (not sure if he braked too hard at that point or the momentum keeping him upright was lost at 70km/h or not)... he did a superman in the slow lane (chest first), rolled for a while and popped up onto feet watching traffic whiz past. Scarrrrry stuff... he wasn't wearing anything below the waist for protection (jeans and running shoes)... but came out unscathed. Lucky f_ _ _ ker.

Upon removing the tire from the rim back at the garage a bunch of washers fell out onto the floor, washers that didn't belong on the bike. He figures the lazy shop mechanic who had a messy workstation let washers fall into the tube/tire the week before when he had a new tire put on. Brutal. Note to self... never, ever get work done by a mechanic that can't keep a clean shop. Note #2: Wear all gear, all the time cuz you never know. Note #3: Do what you're doing and know how (in theory) to cope with a blowout.

Good luck, if you figure out whether to brake lightly or engine brake only let me know. My guess is front blow engine brake, back blowout light front brake if you have 'control'.

ps. i should have prefaced all this with... i don't get my bike until Friday and am probably not the best source of input due to lack of experience. I too am scrutinizing and mentally planning for as many painful situations as possible.
    Last edited by rollandburn; 05-01-2012 at 07:50 PM.

I blew a rear going 120 about a year ago two up with luggage. The rear started fishtailing and I had to keep going for about 200 meters before I could pull over. I clutched in, put on the blinkers, and coasted to the side of the road. No front brakes until I was confident crashing wasn't going to happen.
    Current bike - 2008 Vulcan 900c

A lot depends on the tires too. I once had a rear tire get a huge hole in it from a guillotine type muffler clamp on the 401 doing about 160 kph (pre 172) and the bike had a vague feeling to it so I pulled over to check. I can't remember the which Michelin tire but the sidewall must have been pretty stiff. The Avon Cobras I have on now have a soft sidewall and I doubt the same result with these tires.
    "If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law." Winston Churchill

I've had both happen to me, and I'll tell you now, you are far better off doing preventive maintenance and ensuring proper tire pressures.

The rear tire had my bike trying to dance sideways down the road. I was on my dual sport and I rode it out as if I were riding in slick mud, weight over the front tire as much as possible.

When the front tire blew coming to a stop from 80 kph at a stop light, it was over before I realized what happened. I thought I'd lost a front brake pad, so I got off the front brakes and onto the rear hard. At 40kph the front folded under me and I slid sideways down the road.

The best training I would suggest is to ride a dirt bike in the mud where you lose control of the front and rear alternating. Otherwise, check those air pressures and replace the tires and/or tubes as necessary.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca