Need your advice, Please!!!

Thread: Need your advice, Please!!!

Need your advice, Please!!!

Hey Guys/Gals,

I really need some advice here. I just got my M1 and have started my bike shopping. I have my rider course with RTI on June 8th so an M2 is imminent. I have so far found 2 good bikes...click on the links below. I am on a work assignment in NB, so I decided to buy a bike locally and practice my riding here since I won’t me returning to GTA until the fall. Plus the traffic here is waaaaaaay better than GTA which should benefit towards my riding practice.

First one is a 2006 SV650 with 25,000 km. An older gentleman in his early 60s has decided to sell it since he “is no longer young to ride”. I checked the bike today and it seems to be in pretty good condition. Except there seems to be a bit of rust on the exhaust pipe…part close to the engine. Price is $3500, but I plan to bring it down to $3000. He said he has maintained it regularly and has records to prove it. One downside is there’s a small dent on the exhaust. A deer was near the bike and accidentally kicked it trying to run off. But, I plan to get an aftermarket exhaust anyway so that’s no biggie.

http://newbrunswick.kijiji.ca/c-cars...AdIdZ304705168

Second is a 2009 Gs500F with only 2975 km for $3800 (seller willing to let go for $3500). It’s the original owner selling it who upgraded to a V-storm. Judging by the pics, it seems to be in perfect condition. He told me that he babied it and maintained very well. As far as damages are concerned, he said his bike tipped over in the garage but onto his lawn mower which resulted in a minor scratch on the gas tank. He actually took it to a body shop and had the scratch repaired professionally. But the downside: this guy lives in Tremblay, which is a 4 hour drive from where I stay. So, I have to rent a bike trailer, drive 4 hours to him and back. Bikes are scarce here in NB unlike the GTA and finding a bike like this is rare. I could ride the bike back, but have to wait until June when I get my M2.

http://newbrunswick.kijiji.ca/c-cars...AdIdZ375135148

So that’s my dilemma here. Which one to choose? My budget for a bike is 3000. Should I go with the slightly high mileage SV being it the bike I really wanted for a long time or fork out an extra 500 and go with an almost new 500cc, the bike I kinda wanted to ride for learning. I find both bikes are fine for a beginner like me. I know that I’m more of standard/ naked bike rider, so these are perfect.

I already called my insurance and I can afford the rates on both these bikes…it’s 850/year for the GS and 980/year for the SV650 I know by next year these rates should drop drastically.

Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you guys for your help!!!

Anoop

Re: Need your advice, Please!!!

IMHO, I would go with the 2009 GS500F as it is new rider friendly .

In case you haven't looked it up here is the link.
    http://moto.suzuki.ca/Product%20Line...09/GS500F.aspx

IMO there are several factors to consider. The SV is a more powerful bike with a higher seat, the GS500 is lower in power and in seat height. If you are a taller/heavier rider the SV may be a better choice given a bike in good condition.
    Now another thing you might want to consider is your comfort level on two wheels.

I have ridden bicycles a long time (mtn and rd) so I came to motorcycling with a certain comfort level that I guess translated to confidence in my abilities to pick up the requisite skills. If you are coming into this with minimal experience on any kind of two wheels it might be prudent to go with the GS500 to start as it will dampen your early 'miscues' much better than the SV.

Don't forget you will have more than one bike, keep any ego in check and allow yourself the initial time to build some good base skills. Once you have ridden for a bit you will likely revise your views on riding and what bike will be appropriate for you next.

Good thing is both bikes are common and parts are plentiful so repair and maintenance should be fine. There are many on the board with experience on both bikes so I am sure you will get more opinions.

Good Luck and ride safe.
    Ignorance is heading off without knowing the dangers involved.
    Stupidity is trying something without knowing what the chance of death is.
    Bravery is going into something knowing if you die its your own fault.
    Adventure is a self determined mix of all three of the above.

Thanks NealT.

I actually used to ride dirt bikes and a manual Vespa 10 years ago so I am quite comfortable atleast with the sc650 or 500. However I used to rid on private roads only near farmlands.

I was intimidated by the sv650s because of the position being more forward. Off the bat I told myself its notthe bike for me yet. Yes I'm tall 6'2" and weigh 215 lbs. so both bikes should pull my weight easily. My feet land flat on the ground sitting on both bikes as well.

This is going to be a tough one to decide.

For $500 get the bike you've always wanted, 25000kms on a 2006 doesn't seem too bad
    Silent but deadly!!!

I'd be more inclined to consider what bike suits me better. What one fits better. The SV appeals to me more in terms of style and looks but, I wouldn't let looks alone be the deciding factor. IMO, I don't think the SV would lead to any more trouble than the GS powerwise. \

I've never really followed practical logic when it comes to bikes and always followed my heart. It's never let me down yet.

Get the SV. 25K on an SV is nothing. Bumps and bruises on a bike (as long as they are truly cosmetic are nothing as well) You will be adding your own dents and scratches soon enough.

There is a lot more room to grow on an SV as well. Good luck.

~steven - south central 'ssauga