Workplace Jerks... - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Workplace Jerks...

Re: Workplace Jerks...

In my experience, sometimes these workplace snickers can lead to bigger problems... mainly through political channels, especially in toxic work environments (where you have a few backstabbers around). What workplace isn't a little toxic?

I have shown up to work wearing motorcycle gear and it does attract attention, not all of it desirable. It's sort of like showing up to work wearing a tie and plaid sports jacket (when the norm is a t-shirt with jeans). As motorcyclists we have the natural capacity to ignore workplace BS, but if you want to do well at work, the reality is that you have to be somewhat sensitive to how others perceive you.

The way I dealt with it was to wear less conspicuous gear when commuting to work, saving my Power Rangers suit for every other type of riding. For instance, I got conventional-looking pants (like denim or khaki) with Kevlar reinforcement (and Bohn armor protection underneath). Pants cover the boots so nobody notices I'm wearing motorcycle boots. I can walk into work and nobody notices that I'm geared up. Only giveaway that I'm riding is the helmet and gloves that I'm carrying.

I change into regular clothes once in my office.
    “Love is the absence of judgment.”
    - Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by IXFe View Post
    at the end of the work day, just jump on your Battle Bike and ride away grinning ear-to-ear. You're riding and they aren't!

Nice pic! But why are the females in side cart? Grrr

And to op, yea those jerks r just jealous. Ignore them and just enjoy

Yamaha YZF600 '95 *Sold*
    Looking for my next bike...

Quote Originally Posted by Moto Ronto View Post
    In my experience, sometimes these workplace snickers can lead to bigger problems... mainly through political channels, especially in toxic work environments (where you have a few backstabbers around). What workplace isn't a little toxic?
    Too true but, dare to be different. In toxic environments, it's can also be positive to stand apart from the cliques....

Quote Originally Posted by CruiserGoneSport View Post
    Too true but, dare to be different. In toxic environments, it's can also be positive to stand apart from the cliques....
    That's exactly how your bank avoids a financial crisis. You DO want to avoid a financial crisis, don't you?
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

Quote Originally Posted by viper84737 View Post
    That's exactly how your bank avoids a financial crisis. You DO want to avoid a financial crisis, don't you?
    LOL! I won't risk my job by commenting on my employer, my comments were personal in nature, I just refuse to join with the lemmings, it's been a career maker ... a stressful path but I seem incapable of living any other.

Quote Originally Posted by CruiserGoneSport View Post
    LOL! I won't risk my job by commenting on my employer, my comments were personal in nature, I just refuse to join with the lemmings, it's been a career maker ... a stressful path but I seem incapable of living any other.
    I admire your spirit, and I have the same tendencies. I agree that it's best to find a workplace that would be accepting of different sorts of people in the first place, which is something I did not do (being young at the time and unaware of what American Conservatives in the Deep South are really like). Thank goodness I'm moving back to Toronto, and staying as far away from workplace jerks as possible.
    “Love is the absence of judgment.”
    - Dalai Lama

Tell one of the bullies you'll take his mom for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by wormburner View Post
    Tell one of the bullies you'll take his mom for a ride.
    ... and if she's good, you might take her for a trip on your bike as well...

Quote Originally Posted by js2021 View Post
    but the guy drives off and chick is still with him in the end lol.

Who cares?
    You should have your own chick.
    The point is, that the snickers are likely generated from some form of jealousy. I believe that inside everyone, there is a small seed of wishing they themselves had the guts to do something daring, dangerous, and exciting. When that car pulls up beside you, for a glimmer, you can see that wish in the guy's eyes. He wishes he was daring enough to ride that bike. The motorcycle is a freedom that most won't ever experience. To us riders, it takes things like skydiving or bungee jumping to up the ante, but to the masses of sheep in cages, we riders are already out there, risking life, limb, and security for that taste of wild freedom. They want some, whether they are willing to conciously say it or not. Those who aren't willing to, may end up snickering or teasing instead.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I love it when people wear track suits...I think they're awesome...

You do get a lot of looks, I don't have leathers but I have the icon jacket with all the armor and "Ti" plates, and its bright red hahaha. I wear my boots to work too and bring shoes. My workplace is pretty darn nice though, even at the client sites I work at. I just head straight for my desk and change right away. I've never really met anyone that felt bikes were uncool or anything. I would definitely also chalk that up to jealousy though, after all, there's nothing sexier than a bike, right??? (c'mon, you have to admit sometimes you look at the bike first in the chicks on bikes thread!)

Quote Originally Posted by bboySushi View Post
    .... c'mon, you have to admit sometimes you look at the bike first in the chicks on bikes thread!)
    Depends on both the bike and the chick.

Magic: Antique bike, Young chick
    Horror: Young bike, Antique chick

ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by bikermahn View Post
    ... I tend to get allot of snickers, for some reason they all think I look like a power ranger or something...
    My friend, I wear yellow high-vis gear. If any one gives me problems, I sic the Saber-Toothed Tiger Dinozord on their butts!
    Don't sweat it...take it from me, cagers just don't understand.