Lake Superior trip

Thread: Lake Superior trip

Lake Superior trip

I'm planning a trip for the first 2 weeks in July. I was thinking about travelling up the east side of Superior on #17 and coming back down the west side via the States. Any advice or tips would be welcome.

Thanks, WillyT

Re: Lake Superior trip

Wawa to Thunder Bay is a great ride. I'm not sure this is a two week trip though unless you plan on staying in a couple of place for some extended time.

Two weeks sounds like too much time for such a relatively short trip. Just circumnavigating Great Lakes will be pretty boring too, Unless you plan to make some detours and spend more time in a few places. Northern shore of Lake Superior has some amazing places to stop and smell the roses at. I would go through Manitoulin Island to skip the boring part to Sudbury. Prepare to ride the speed limit on Trans-Can...
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Thanks for the tips. I don't plan on spending the whole two weeks on the Superior trip but I would like to ride around the lake. I was hoping that someone may have some tips on lodging or any must see sights. I'd also like to hear from anyone that has followed the lake back down through the American side.
    Thanks, WillyT

Lodging is relatively easy to find, I actually wouldn't worry about it. Every little town has a cadre of hotels / motels, I wouldn't worry about reservations at all. Just decide when you want to stop riding, point at a dot on the map and aim for it. You'll be fine. I was.

I would prepare for weather. The weather on the North shore of Superior is quite unpredictable. Rain, cold, you name it - even in the middle of the summer. Though it is beautiful up there, the roads are nothing to write home about - from a motorcycling perspective, it's not a super ride, but if you've not done it before, why not.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

I will be watching this thread because I am considering the same trip. I have driven around the north side of Superior many times, but have never come back through the US.

The suggestion to cross over to Manitoulin Island would also be part of my planned trip, since I could head straight north from Orangeville. If you are going after June 22nd, be sure to have a reservation for the ferry. You can book online here: http://www.chicheemaun.com/ontariofe...ish/fares.html.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

Quote Originally Posted by oomis View Post
    I would prepare for weather. The weather on the North shore of Superior is quite unpredictable. Rain, cold, you name it - even in the middle of the summer. Though it is beautiful up there, the roads are nothing to write home about - from a motorcycling perspective, it's not a super ride, but if you've not done it before, why not.
    Second that. I had a pretty miserable evening and next morning with 14 degrees, pouring rain and dense fog in the middle of July last year. Roads would be fantastic if you could ride them at fun speeds. In the absence of that, enjoy the scenery and stop to smell the roses.

Sunny, but not for long:

This is what you can get into:

I wouldn't count on swimming here. the air temp is 14 and the water is much colder.

This would be an awesome ride pretty much anywhere else except in Ontario. Speed limit on trans-Canada is 80.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

I came back from Manitoba via 17 four years ago. Scenery is great. Gas availability is OK but don't let get too low unless you know the turf. Deer and moose can happen. Some restaurants have weird hours so carry a few granola bars and water bottles just in case. Lousy shoulders on the roads in a lot of places. Cell reception spotty. Apparerntly the stretch from the Sault to Sudbury is OPP hunting grounds.

Relaxing ride until I got south of Barrie. I wonder why.

Stayed in Wawa (Algoma Inn?) older but clean, OK blue collar restaurants nearby.

Did this last year, and I wasn't pushing it at all and had it done in 7 days, with quite a lot of stopping for pics.
    From TO though I'm sure you have further to go. From London you just head up to the Sault thru Michigan.

North Shore in Canada was much more interesting, but also quite a bit more $$$ than travelling in the US.

You could check some of the pics in here.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...rcumnavigation

Stay here in Wawa. Fantastic motel...cheap, with lots of great amenities and friendly owners.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Revi...a_Ontario.html

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...or+Circle+Tour

Here's a link to his gps data: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=85

Of course, they did it on dual sports which may change the dynamic somewhat.
    Last edited by Rotten_Ronnie; 05-02-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: I threw in the link to his gps tracks

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Thanks to everyone for the tips and the amazing pics. I've toured Great Britain, Europe, N Africa and the east coast of Canada and the States, but this will be my first solo tour. I'm looking forward to a relaxing cruise and some great scenery.
    Thanks again, WillyT.

http://www.ridelakesuperior.com/

http://www.lakesuperiorcircletour.info/

Here is the best source of info. Hope it helps. I was planning on taking this trip this summer, but only have a 5 day stretch, which means no less than 840km a day, every day. I like to have a little more time to stop and take pictures and sight-see, so I'm going to do it next year.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

The Northern part is the best for scenery and some wildlife spotting. Between the Soo and Wawa we saw a couple of moose and a bear. The most dangerous thing was folks pulling off or stopping right in front of you to look at the wildlife. It was also pretty on the US side between Thunder Bay and just before Duluth. It got boring from there on the way back, but if you are a history buff there is lots on the south shore with all the mining and shipping.

Not sure where you are starting from, but if from the GTA you can make Wawa (a long day) and stay at the Motel mentioned above, there are few to pick from in Wawa. We made Thunderbay for the next night, at a big Hotel, I forgot the name now, but nothing special. You can make Marquette for the next night, it is a big place and lots of motels/hotels to choose from. Gas, food, hotels are cheaper in the US.
    I found the view better doing the tour in the clockwise direction. The lake is on your right that way and you can pull in some of the scenic points quickly. The weather can change very quickly. I woke up in a downpour in Wawa, and within an hour it was sunny and humid for the rest of the day. Then froze the next morning leaving Thunder bay. So be prepared for the weather change as the cold wind blows off the lake.

Any time I have a chance to go out West, I always try to include going around Superior, anything to miss Chicago. Anything within 200 miles of that city is wild.

Good luck with your planning.
    1997 Honda ST1100
    1982 Honda CB900Custom (sold 2007)
    1980 Honda CM400