new UK motorcycle legislation.... scary stuff.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new UK motorcycle legislation.... scary stuff.....

new UK motorcycle legislation.... scary stuff.....

Some panic and fear is spreading to UK riders with the upcoming potential legislation for motorcycles, and no doubt, law happy Ontario would likely adopt a few of these in years to come.

UK : Some of these potential laws include.....

-forcing every rider, by law, to wear some kind of hi viz helmet, and gear
    -not allowing ANY modifications on the bike. this means *everything*, even changing your sprocket, adding a powercommander, changing an exhaust, etc. Not allowed.
    -limiting hp outputs to 100hp
    -introduce massively big license plates
    -putting "black boxes" on the bike, so insurance companies can monitor your riding
    -new safety tests for bikes
    -emissions tests for bikes

British Columbia, just banned beanie helmets :

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...elmet-law.html

Ontario :

?????????????

Re: new UK motorcycle legislation.... scary stuff.....

Those beanie helmets would be illegal anyway, as they couldn't possibly be DOT or SNELL certified... no?

The rest of the stuff is usual political garbage. Legislators writing new laws to justify their positions... hopefully the motorcycle community over there can unify their voice.
    all my posts are serious; internet is serious business

Good luck with passing all that crap.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    Yeah, the ones they have in UK now are positively tiny
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

With so many laws and restrictions in the UK, that place is surely heading straight into a revolution/collapse. People there are literally being legislated into slaves, their liberties are eroding at an alarming rate, if they have any left that is.
    Last edited by The Road Warrior; 05-01-2012 at 06:03 AM.

It wont happen.

I couldn't live in the UK. Seriously, all those cameras and all those laws make me want to blow a gasket and I don't even live there.
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

Is it France which limits all the bikes to 100H hp limit? I hope it will not happen here

I would vote for whatever government party opposes this if this was ever proposed in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by topendz View Post
    It wont happen.
    This and

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    Good luck with passing all that crap.
    This.

The UK is already a Nanny State, let them legislate into economic oblivion for all I care.
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

There's the occasional nitwit outburst (usually traffic "experts") calling for the outright banning of motorcycles/scooters. This is really just a milder version of that. It's possible it could become legislation--look at their obsession with CCT and (anti) weapons laws. Gotta protect the Queen and her stuffy court, you know.

Motorcycles really aren't on the radar here, given the climate and geography--they're toys. It took 20 years of idiots running open exhausts before municipal governments bothered to do anything about it. Even stunt racing laws had virtually nothing to do bikes--they were aimed at teenagers with economy cars who frighten old white people. As it turned out, it was the old white people who were racing.

Am I the only one who's head tilted when she said.. "If only her didn't have such a powerful bike for his skills". WTF? How is it the manufacturers fault for selling 180BHP machines. It's called her kids were stupid and clearly didn't do their research before they went out and bought a bike to probably look cool.
    1996 Kawasaki KLR 250
    2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM

Quote Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    Is it France which limits all the bikes to 100H hp limit? I hope it will not happen here
    France (and Switzerland) have had that limit for decades. France has recently passed a law requiring high-visibility gear.

It is my understanding that as part of the process of harmonizing technical regulations across the EU, that other members of the EU (i.e. Germany) are trying to persuade France to remove their 100hp limit on the grounds that there is no evidence of any safety benefit associated with it.

Proposed requirements for ABS and anti-tampering are on the table but it is the EU doing it, not the UK. Latest I've heard is that the ABS requirement would be for all motorcycles 51cc and above (previously it was anything over 125cc and the 125's wouldn't require it).

I do not know how you make it "impossible" for someone to increase engine power above stock.

Germany already has very tough periodic inspections of all vehicles by the TuV but it doesn't prohibit modifications - it only requires that anything on the vehicle that was not type-approved with it (i.e. non-OEM) has to have a declaration of conformity stating that it meets the applicable standards. There is something to be said for *some element* of this - it keeps a lot of poor quality useless aftermarket garbage off the market (as it should be) and it means vehicles have to be maintained to a certain level. You can get exhausts, brake lines, suspension, windshields etc - but the manufacturer has to declare that the parts meet the relevant standards.

Quote Originally Posted by The Road Warrior View Post
    With so many laws and restrictions in the UK, that place is surely heading straight into a revolution/collapse. People there are literally being legislated into slaves, their liberties are eroding at an alarming rate, if they have any left that is.
    The UK media does a great job of instilling a perpetual state of fear into people, keeping everyone in their place. After a constant barrage of news stories targeting the issue of the day (terrorists, economic collapse, motorcycle-devils, etc.), it's easy & comforting for the average person to just accept whatever BS comes along in the interests of protecting their safety.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    Some panic and fear is spreading to UK riders with the upcoming potential legislation for motorcycles, and no doubt, law happy Ontario would likely adopt a few of these in years to come.

UK : Some of these potential laws include.....

-forcing every rider, by law, to wear some kind of hi viz helmet, and gear
    -not allowing ANY modifications on the bike. this means *everything*, even changing your sprocket, adding a powercommander, changing an exhaust, etc. Not allowed.
    -limiting hp outputs to 100hp
    -putting "black boxes" on the bike, so insurance companies can monitor your riding
    -new safety tests for bikes
    -emissions tests for bikes

British Columbia, just banned beanie helmets :

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...elmet-law.html

Ontario :

?????????????

What next in UK? Are they going to suggest a lowering of posted speed limits by 10 km/h across the board?

the thing is, in the UK, the motorcyclist's will band together and protest like they did in France, and that may get some of the things not implemented.
    Good luck in trying to have the same affect here on Ontario. ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    the thing is, in the UK, the motorcyclist's will band together and protest like they did in France, and that may get some of the things not implemented.
    Good luck in trying to have the same affect here on Ontario. ha ha!
    Truth be told, I don't think the minority Liberals have the stomach at the moment to attempt this (they've already been grovelling to the NDP for support for other bills) given how precarious their hold on government is...

Yeah, not gonna happen anytime soon.
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Scary stuff??? No. Pain in the *** yes, but scary, no not by a mile.

Back home "Colombia" some cities require every rider to have hi-viz best with your license plate stamp on the jacket and helmet.. even the 2up is required.. looks nasty

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-t2R2E3zQ3j...n+Colombia.jpg

http://edunewscolombia.com/wp-conten...o-bogota-2.jpg
    Here is where I put my signature!!

2012 Candy Green Kawasaki 250cc
    2000 Black Honda Rebel 250cc - Sold

Laws like this come up for approval all the time. Nobody seems to know who writes them or lobbies for them. The legal system has the same problem of the internet, which is that people behave with extra stupidity when they are not held accountable. It's one thing to be free to do so online, and another when you are abolishing freedoms.

The UK and Canada lack a "freedom principle", which makes them vulnerable to extremist legislation like the ones mentioned above - and Il Duce Fantino's street racing laws in Ontario.