Instructor training

Thread: Instructor training

Instructor training

Thinking about training to become an instructor.Can't find any online info.Timeline,where,who,pay etc etc etc.Anyone?
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Re: Instructor training

They generally start in mid winter I believe. I think you can sometimes sign up at the show.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

You don't do the job for the pay Rick, the end of the weekend is having the satisfaction of seeing the students pass that makes it worth while.

No-one gets rich from teaching, somewhere between $300-$400 for a weekend, each day is at least eight hours of pounding the parking lot.

First two weekends you will work for free, prepare to study and be able to speak comfortably in a group setting.

As baggsy mentioned, usually the end of the year is when schools start looking for new instructors.

Thanks guys.I'm looking at semi retirement and money is not the issue.Just need some income to pay for track time,etc.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Here is the link for OMSA in Breslau, nice and local for you.

• 14. How do I become an RTI Instructor?
    • In order to be considered for employment with RTI as an instructor you must have:
      - at least 4 seasons of street riding experience
      - a driving record with less than 6 demerit points
      - a street legal motorcycle that you actively ride
      - a current First Aid/CPR certificate
      - a mature attitude and comfort in dealing with a variety of people
      - a desire to teach and practice safe riding techniques
      - successful completion of our in-house instructor training program

Our in-house training involves approximately 100 hours of your time, divided between classroom sessions held at our office, homework assignments, and 2 apprentice weekends held at our sites (booked between April and June). Classroom training sessions are held from Jan to March and first aid training will be available at an additional cost, if necessary. During your training we will cover such topics as: our curriculum and riding exercises, the history of RTI, human rights and our students, teaching techniques, MTO road rules, etc. Basically, we will try to prepare you to begin effectively training our students on your first apprentice weekend. If you are a successful candidate, then you must instruct a minimum of 3 courses throughout the remainder of the year to maintain good standing with us. Most of our instructors teach well over that number.

If you would like further information, please contact our office at 416-516-6151 or 1-866-876-1551 .

I just took the Sheridan course and they mentioned that they were actively looking for new instructors.

Cat or Goldie can give you the info for Learning Curves and Crusingrrl can give you info for RTI

...Then one day you realise your 'knight in shining armour' is just a retard in tinfoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx13 View Post
    Cat or Goldie can give you the info for Learning Curves and Crusingrrl can give you info for RTI
    Learning Curves is a bit more relaxed. We dont look for "must have x years experience with x kms" etc.
    We look for for a passion for riding and a passion for sharing that passion. Its not a lot of money so you have to truely feel the rewarding side of it. I'll send you a PM.

Look at them all and see what schools suit your style/location etc.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    Thanks guys.I'm looking at semi retirement and money is not the issue.Just need some income to pay for track time,etc.
    That's what I do with it, it's not a bad gig, but it really depends on who the senior is on the field. The curriculum varies only slightly from school to school (as it is MTO approved etc.), but it depends on who is in charge of the field and how they approach the venture overall.

BGFA and JayV pretty much nailed it. You won't get rich, but you can subsidize you income nicely playing with bikes and all that warm fuzzy stuff about your students learning to ride etc.....

If you decide to become a senior, then the paperwork and process can become a little onerous depending on the size/nature of the organization you're in. You will also get more work as a senior as you will eventually run both M1 and M2 exit programs.

If you are any good, you should get at least one weekend per month, most likely more, depends on how busy the school is.
    You will be spending 8 - 10 hours a day on your feet in a parking lot..so get some comfortable boots.

PM me if you want any specific contact info etc.

Good luck.
    "I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Learning Curves is a bit more relaxed. We dont look for "must have x years experience with x kms" etc.
    True, but Don does like you to have an M.

And to expand on what Cat said; We also have you do two apprentice weekends as a 'job interview' kind of thing but there's no 100 hours of classroom training to do.
    -------------------
    '86 Virago XV700CS (in pieces)
    '85 Virago XV1000

Quote Originally Posted by ivandem View Post
    We also have you do two apprentice weekends as a 'job interview' kind of thing but there's no 100 hours of classroom training to do.
    The ministry does mandate a minimum number of hours of training for all instructors, but there is some discretion as to how the training is divided between classroom and on the lot training.
    2005 Kawasaki z750s
    1980 Yamasaki ZXS650 "Lunatic Fringe"

Instructor for www.learningcurves.ca

I'm one of the new instructors for Learning Curves. I did 3 apprentice weekends. Mandatory is 2, but I felt more comfortable having the 3rd as 2 classes apprenticing and then having to teach is a little rushed I felt.

Weird that Humber is offering the instructor course so late I've been checking the website for a year and a half and it has always said they aren't doing instructor training...

As for the actual job, finish your apprenticeship and trust me, you'll be hooked! You get to ride all the beginner bikes and the people you work with genuinely love motorcycles. Its like being on this forum for 8 hours a day but your only hanging out in the new riders thread, and there's some more structure to what advice you give the up and comers.
    Last edited by wearelopey; 05-01-2012 at 03:02 PM.
    Happiness isn't around the corner, happiness IS the corner

Instructor @ Learning Curves

Ideally (a couple years down the road), I'd like to do this as well. I won't be able to retire on the money, but it will be a nice bonus on top of seeing a lot of newcomers get hooked on this passion...

Speaking of which, I'm going to try and go back to Sheridan this weekend to thank my instructors.