My hand is useless, will it get better??

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My hand is useless, will it get better??

My hand is useless, will it get better??

I rode a dirt bike for a cumulative 16 hrs over the weekend and my left hand, mainly my thumb, is wrecked and I can't make it move or do things like make sandwiches or fold laundry! It's not painful, which wouldn't bother me anyway 'cause pain don't hurt, but I need a working opposable thumb!!! This was my first time riding in like forever and I am wondering, will my thumb ever work again? Is this normal/typical?

Re: My hand is useless, will it get better??

Suck it.

Whaaaaaaat? I'm on topic.

yes it will I get the same thing if I masterbate too much. "wackers cramp"

I've heard it will go away, but mine hasn't yet...... it may still be self inflicted though...... LMAO!!!!

And I don't know about you issue on the serious side of things. I'm going to say yes, i'm sure its just a muscle thing. Maybe try some muscle heat rub on your hand?
    riding a moped is like having sex with a fat chick.
    sure it may be fun, but you don't want your friends to find out

00 ZX12R

Quote Originally Posted by Red695 View Post
    I rode a dirt bike for a cumulative 16 hrs over the weekend and my left hand, mainly my thumb, is wrecked and I can't make it move or do things like make sandwiches or fold laundry!
    OMG!!!

What about handjobs?! For the love of God can you still give handjobs???
    New to me for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
    OMG!!!

NOOO! I can't!!! Good thing I am single, phew!

OMG!!!

It's only her left hand...

If it's a pinched nerve it will likely come back. If it's a detached tendon, not so simple. In the case of the latter the longer you wait for treatment the lower the chances of a successful repair. Hours count IMO. See a doctor.

NOOO! I can't!!! Good thing I am single, phew!
    New to me for 2012.

lol funny responses. I can picture you trying to eat holding a spoon primate style
    I'm sure it'll pass in a couple days but if not doesn't hurt to get it checked out. When I started climbing my hands would become useless clubs by the time I got home. Couldn't even wipe my arse.

Quote Originally Posted by SXE MX6 View Post
    yes it will I get the same thing if I masterbate too much. "wackers cramp"

I've heard it will go away, but mine hasn't yet...... it may still be self inflicted though...... LMAO!!!!

And I don't know about you issue on the serious side of things. I'm going to say yes, i'm sure its just a muscle thing. Maybe try some muscle heat rub on your hand?
    LMAO! Hope your hand gets better....and your eyesight

I rode a dirt bike for a cumulative 16 hrs over the weekend and my left hand, mainly my thumb, is wrecked and I can't make it move or do things like make sandwiches or fold laundry! It's not painful, which wouldn't bother me anyway 'cause pain don't hurt, but I need a working opposable thumb!!! This was my first time riding in like forever and I am wondering, will my thumb ever work again? Is this normal/typical?
    This made me lol

should be fine...quit gripping the handle bar so tight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    If it's a pinched nerve it will likely come back. If it's a detached tendon, not so simple. In the case of the latter the longer you wait for treatment the lower the chances of a successful repair. Hours count IMO. See a doctor.
    Of course, there are other factors to consider...since there is no pain, is there any tingling at the tip of the thumb/fingertips? If you take a pin and prick your thumb/fingers, can you feel the pin prick? Is there any pain involved with moving said digits in any manner i.e. right-to-left, up-and-down?

I wouldn't mess with it too much, but if the numbness lasts for any length of time i.e. greater than a 48 hour period, I'd hazard the guess that a trip to your local MD is in order...
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by r6rollin View Post
    This made me lol

should be fine...quit gripping the handle bar so tight!!!
    I was practicing slow speed maneuvers and my hands are small, could barely reach the clutch with my fingers. Stupid bikes all made for giants, geesh.

OMG!!!

...thankfully, she didn't injure her mouf so it's all good!!

*ba-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing*

I'm here all week folks, don't forget to tip your waitress.

I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by dr_sarcasm View Post
    Of course, there are other factors to consider...since there is no pain, is there any tingling at the tip of the thumb/fingertips? If you take a pin and prick your thumb/fingers, can you feel the pin prick? Is there any pain involved with moving said digits in any manner i.e. right-to-left, up-and-down?

I wouldn't mess with it too much, but if the numbness lasts for any length of time i.e. greater than a 48 hour period, I'd hazard the guess that a trip to your local MD is in order...
    No, no numbness, but I thought today it would be better. I used to dislocate my thumbs all the time by accident when I was working on certain projects back in art school and I they would be useless like this, but I could just pop them back into the socket and they would be fine. It doesn't feel dislocated though.

No, no numbness, but I thought today it would be better. I used to dislocate my thumbs all the time by accident when I was working on certain projects back in art school and I they would be useless like this, but I could just pop them back into the socket and they would be fine. It doesn't feel dislocated though.
    I'm no medical doctor, and suffice to say, take what is written in this thread as just the opinions of arm-chair medics, but if you can feel your thumb, and it's not in any amount of pain, chances are you should see some feeling return to it...

HOWEVER.

I'd still book an appointment with an MD if you don't have any feeling in it after a few days, Red.

I enjoyed all the comments...but seriously ...

Two relative common issues in the wrist are compression of the median nerve within the carpal tunnel and/or compression of the ulnar nerve within a structure know as Guyon's canal. Given that you have symptoms relating to the thumb, it is possible that your median nerve has been irritated. Alternatively you may have inflamed the tendons and/or tendon sheaths relating to the thumb, resulting in tendinosis and/or tenosynovitis. A

musculoskeletal ultrasound examination can sort these things out and may provide you and your doctor with useful information. Advil may help if its tendinosis/tenosynovitis, not so much if its actual median nerve compromise.

In any case I am with dr_sarcasm, go see someone sooner than later unless it has completely resolved by now.
    2011 BMW K1300S

I I can't make it move or do things like make sandwiches ?
    There is no excuse for a woman not to make a sandwich.....ever

It is normal for pain and sometimes lust of feel, but if you can't move it and it hurts you could have broken a small bone, get it check out
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

If the pain didn't show right away, but rather 24 hrs ish later - thats muscular, it will go away.

provided that you can feel your thumb and you can still move it ( as in it obeys commands, not whether you have full range ), you are likely fine.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

OMG!!!

She has 2 hands
    Resident Loudmouth