Moved to Ontario, I need some advice.

Thread: Moved to Ontario, I need some advice.

Moved to Ontario, I need some advice.

I searched around but couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

I've just moved to Ontario from out of province, where I currently hold a class 5 and a class 6 license Equivalent to a class G and an M class license here. I received my motorcycle license in July 2010. Ontario will only recognize my license as equal to a class M license If I have had it for 2 years. This means that if I switch immediately, I will receive a M2 class licence. This will force my to take a $75 test to get my M license. However my other option is to wait until July before I transfer my license over. Insurance (jevco) will not insure me unless I have an Ontario based license, this means no bike until July if I decide to wait before trading it in. Does anyone know how much insurance premiums change between a M2/M license with Jevco? Will they be significantly higher with an m2? What decision should I make here? I'm not looking to pay a lot more just for the two extra months. Should I wait to transfer my license over, or should I transfer it now?

Re: Moved to Ontario, I need some advice.

I'm not aware of any insurer who distinguishes between the M2 and M class license. Insurers care about how long you've held a license (M1/M2/M combined). Get your Ontario M2 and then talk to Jevco and ask them to rate you using your out-of-province experience.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Banned

Welcome to the province that has let the Insurance Industry milk you dry with premiums on every aspect of what you need to be insured for.

Quote Originally Posted by GYMPY View Post
    Welcome to the province that has let the Insurance Industry milk you dry with premiums on every aspect of what you need to be insured for.
    Helpful. As my papy used to say...if you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Welcome to Ontario, Ed. All the best. Best thing to do is to call Jevco and ask them. But in my experience, it's not the M or M2 that counts, but the length of driving experience. Ask Jevco if proof of insurance and letter of experience from whereever you're from will help.

Or the M2 course. Most courses are $400, but if you save in premiums it might be worth it.
    2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900

Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Or the M2 course. Most courses are $400, but if you save in premiums it might be worth it.
    From what I understand his from Québec, he already did a motorcycle course since its mandatory, the downside, no insurance company in Ontario want to recognized it. Wait until July or keep your insurance from Québec if you still have it, by the law, you have 3 months to switch your driver's license and plates. I personally had to start back from M1...try to explain that you've been insured for longer than you have your license...

Don't forget if you want to leave Ontario for another province, you still need to have your M for over 2 years to be recognized. So if you go back to Québec before the next 2 years, you may get screwed twice.

BTW: Welcome to Ontario.
    Hercule CC130 J Support our troop by air

Pilot without technician are just walker with cool jacket and sunglasse

RACING Because football, baseball, bowling and golf only require ONE BALL