2 riders caught by OPP - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 riders caught by OPP

Re: 2 riders caught by OPP

a speeding ticket isn't worth getting killed over, or potentially killing someone else...

just saying..
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    It's unlikely that the actual "event" happened in the 50 zone, but there are a couple of tempting long straightaways just west of that area, and those are marked 60. I went through that same road today with a group, and we didn't see any cops, but we keep the speed down in the straightaways just in case.
    We had this discussion on our group ride today. We heard the OPP has some planes out today. I told the leader, from now on, slow on the straights, fast on the twisties, so we limited it to 45 over on the straight parts and "run what ya brung" on the twisties.

Worked great, didn't see any cops, never had any trouble.

Filled lots of cells today

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Running not only raises the stakes from a legal standpoint by adding such charges as flight and dangerous operation of a vehicle, it also raises the physical stakes. Fight or flight response kicks in, triggering adrenaline. Pulse rate increases. Vision tunnels. Hearing becomes selective. Muscles tense. Fine motor skills suffer.

In short, you are suddenly in no state to properly control a motorcycle safely, on city streets.

On the legal side you could be looking at up to a five year sentence on a charge of evasion, or dangerous operation, and that assumes no one is injured or killed.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    So this one ride, I was fed up with the truck in front of me and passed him... as I passed and came over the hill, I see cops. Luckily I had just dropped me speed before they came into view, but I know they heard me. I rode slow, but thought "what if I run after this corner, just in case they choose to follow"... Come around the corner to find 2 more cops and a speed trap.
    Once upon a time (before our new awesome stunting laws) I was riding from Chatham back to London on the 401. Super boring ride so I was trying to make decent time so I was cruising around 130-140. The 401 is two lanes in each direction in that region. While overtaking one transport truck that was closing in on a slower transport truck (both in the right lane) the truck I was passing put it's signal on right as i was about even with the drive axles. I decided to get by the truck before he changed lanes so sped up to about 160 to clear the truck then slowed back down to 130ish. About 5 seconds later I went under and underpass and there were two OPP cruisers hiding behind some tall grass. I am 100% sure they heard me and likely got me on radar speeding up to 60 over the limit but they likely would have realized why. I rode by and they both stayed put. Hell, maybe they were meeting up for a mid-shift quickie.. but they did not prusue me.

In general I find the OPP a lot more reasonable than regional cops.

^ I'm very familiar with the stretch you're talking about... I'll agree that OPP can be reasonable (I've had more good experiences than bad ones), but I'm honestly surprised they didn't touch you at 130+. Maybe they're more lenient when you're on a bike? I wouldn't know, I've only ever driven my cage down that stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    On the legal side you could be looking at up to a five year sentence on a charge of evasion, or dangerous operation, and that assumes no one is injured or killed.
    And not to mention all the charges that *may* get tacked on to that e.g. resisting arrest, assault, etc. seeing that once you get caught (whether they catch you and cuff you or collect your still-breathing broken body from the side of the road), the po po isn't going to be in an overly-friendly mood and the takedown isn't going to be gentle.

Still get a good laugh that there are people out there that think they're Ghostrider and believe the odds are in their favour in outrunning the law...
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    We had this discussion on our group ride today. We heard the OPP has some planes out today. I told the leader, from now on, slow on the straights, fast on the twisties, so we limited it to 45 over on the straight parts and "run what ya brung" on the twisties.

Worked great, didn't see any cops, never had any trouble.

Filled lots of cells today

-Jamie M.
    what is going on with your exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by dr_sarcasm View Post
    And not to mention all the charges that *may* get tacked on to that e.g. resisting arrest, assault, etc. seeing that once you get caught (whether they catch you and cuff you or collect your still-breathing broken body from the side of the road), the po po isn't going to be in an overly-friendly mood and the takedown isn't going to be gentle.

Still get a good laugh that there are people out there that think they're Ghostrider and believe the odds are in their favour in outrunning the law...
    For a competent, thinking, and experienced rider they actually are in their favour. The possible outcome, however, is not something I'd be willing to risk on the odds.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Running not only raises the stakes from a legal standpoint by adding such charges as flight and dangerous operation of a vehicle, it also raises the physical stakes. Fight or flight response kicks in, triggering adrenaline. Pulse rate increases. Vision tunnels. Hearing becomes selective. Muscles tense. Fine motor skills suffer.
    Wouldn't you say the same when you are about to go while racing?
    Last edited by ZX600; 04-30-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post
    Wouldn't you say the same for racing?
    Nope, not at all. In racing you're all going in the same direction, the fight or flight instinct doesn't kick in for experienced riders, and there are a limited number of fixed objects to run into. Running from police and racing aren't anything like the same experience.

River road is not even close to hockley. So its 60 everywhere and 50 in the small town? I cant remember.

Should be at least 70 on the road... i rode it before and i went way faster then 60

For a competent, thinking, and experienced rider they actually are in their favour. The possible outcome, however, is not something I'd be willing to risk on the odds.
    Ahhh, but that's the catch, isn't it though - you need to be competent, thinking AND a experienced rider.

I'd wager that many who run may have at most 2 out of those 3 qualifications, which invariably leads to disaster given that all 3 have to be present to make you a Ghostrider-type...

Not arguing that it can't be done, just saying that a lot of folks who do run are lacking in the traits you list.
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by dr_sarcasm View Post
    Ahhh, but that's the catch, isn't it though - you need to be competent, thinking AND a experienced rider.

I'd wager that many who run may have at most 2 out of those 3 qualifications, which invariably leads to disaster given that all 3 have to be present to make you a Ghostrider-type...

Not arguing that it can't be done, just saying that a lot of folks who do run are lacking in the traits you list.
    I almost edited my post to add that point, but figured people would pick up on it anyway

Nope, not at all. In racing you're all going in the same direction, the fight or flight instinct doesn't kick in for experienced riders, and there are a limited number of fixed objects to run into. Running from police and racing aren't anything like the same experience.
    I wasn't referring to objects on the way or everyone going on the same direction or comparing the risk between racing or running from cops, I am specifically talking about all the symptoms you described.

Or are you saying that if you are an experienced rider that the fight or flight instinct doesn't kick in when running from cops? I would disagree, I don't care how experienced you are but your balls are gong to be on your troth, you are able to manage the adrenaline and be smooth on your movements..just like MOST racers (not all)

Either way, the odds are on your favor if you have the skills you describe, and if you don't you better stop and hand in your keys, same goes for racing or any other activity you should not do until you have gained the proper experience.

And I am not advocating for running, I am just giving my opinion from personal experience

But what do I know!
    Last edited by ZX600; 04-30-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

running or not running, to some the outcome is just as costly...

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post
    I wasn't referring to objects on the way or everyone going on the same direction or comparing the risk between racing or running from cops, I am specifically talking about all the symptoms you described.

Or are you saying that if you are an experienced rider that the fight or flight instinct doesn't kick in when running from cops? I would disagree, I don't care how experienced you are but your balls are gong to be on your troth, you are able to manage the adrenaline and be smooth on your movements..just like MOST racers (not all)

Either way, the odds are on your favor if you have the skills you describe, and if you don't you better stop and hand in your keys, same goes for racing or any other activity you should not do until you have gained the proper experience.

And I am not advocating for running, I am just giving my opinion from personal experience

But what do I know!
    I'm saying that the fight or flight response doesn't kick in when racing. They deal with a different set of issues. When you run from police the fight or flight instinct most definitely does kick in at which point an experienced rider, who has trained reactions rather than instinctive ones (which are most likely the wrong ones) has the advantage. By advantage I mean increasing your odds of survival. It doesn't mean it's any more smart.

If you do decide to make a run for it, I've heard it's best to head for the airport...

Quote Originally Posted by r6rollin View Post
    what is going on with your exhaust?
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...y-solution-%29

I be tunin

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post

Ahhh nice! Like your ingenuity!

when i lived in NS, there was a guy who decided to run, ended up hitting the back of a car, killing the driver and himself. under NO circumstance is running worth risking your life or the lives of others. just pull over and deal with it.