Suzuki officially shows why TC not required! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suzuki officially shows why TC not required!

Re: Suzuki officially shows why TC not required!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    I view it as Suzuki making excuses for why they haven't developed a suitable and cost effective ABS/TCS system.

No doubt there is a market for the Luddites who think they have superhuman capabilities and don't want such things on their bike, and they are catering to that demographic.

I can understand not wanting to have ABS/TCS in specific situations but that's what an "off" button is for.

When some brain-dead cage pulls a left in front of you on sketchy pavement, ABS is a good thing to have. 99+% of riders cannot immediately go to threshold-braking without delay and without second-guessing and maintain control of their bike in that situation. It's all well and good for someone to be able to do that under repeated and controlled circumstances but when a car does that left turn in front, your instinct is to apply as much brake as possible (lockup) or rider is too scared to do that for fear of falling (under-application of the brake). I'm speaking as someone who has been there. (FWIW I locked up the front and hit the car in the process of tucking the front end.)

In this day and age, premium sport bikes ought to be available with the technology - and should have an "off" button for those times when the rider wants to do so.

There is a distinct possibility that regulators in EU will be making Suzuki's decision for them in the near future regardless of what Suzuki thinks. A government-mandated system might not have that "off" button. So what's better in the long term, a rider-controllable/selectable ABS/TCS system free of government mandate (which might be achievable if the industry voluntarily chooses to so equip their vehicles), or a government-mandated ABS system with no "off" button?

If ABS is a $500 option on a CBR250 then there is no reason why a GSXR shouldn't have it.
    Ha. I've seen what you ride and how you ride Brian. You're living, riding proof that TC isn't really needed.

I doubt you're a Luddite in the truest sense of the word but you must count yourself as a traditionalist.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

"I can understand not wanting to have ABS/TCS in specific situations but that's what an "off" button is for."

I like that!
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    Ha. I've seen what you ride and how you ride Brian. You're living, riding proof that TC isn't really needed.

I doubt you're a Luddite in the truest sense of the word but you must count yourself as a traditionalist.
    If I were in the market for a premium sport bike today, which I'm not, I fully recognize my own limitations with regards to emergency braking (and I betcha 99% of the general riding public are no better) and I fully recognize the confidence of having certain electronic aids backing me up if things go wacko on the street. I rode a rental BMW with ABS in Europe for two weeks and we had the opportunity to play with the ABS (first thing we did on the rentals was go to a parking lot to practice - and it so happened to be raining). I would buy ABS for sure. In this day and age, if there's a choice between a model that has ABS and another manufacturer's comparable model that doesn't offer it, then that would be the deciding factor.

This morning, in my car, I saw a close call in downtown Toronto between two cars. The driver in front of me decided to pull ahead at a stop sign even though another car was approaching on the main street. Wet concrete with streetcar tracks. The second car locked its wheels coming to a stop. (No collision - but it was really close.) On a bike, if the same thing happened ... that rider would be down. Would I do better? Would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    Freaking awesome, makes us all look silly.

Is that a stock bike he's riding (highly doubt it)? There's just as much electronic gadgetry on that bike as everyother bike in the AMA pits. Still awsome none the less.

Good point was made. Where do we stop? Will we be able to just pin the throttle and let the bike adjust the speed for corners? I still rock a carb and I am quite reluctant to go FI. I love a barebone bike.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Good point was made. Where do we stop? Will we be able to just pin the throttle and let the bike adjust the speed for corners?
    here is your answer

http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

and the s1000rr does that, sort of

Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post
    here is your answer

http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

and the s1000rr does that, sort of

If five years ago I would have said the same about wheelies you would have posted the above. Here we are now with S1000RR that made wheelies "automatic".

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/64/989...omparison.aspx
    "The optional $1480 Dynamic Traction Control and Race ABS adds functionality to the power mode selection with traction/wheelie control and ABS. The traction control performs better than the standard equipment found on the Ducati; however, it is a bit more restrictive-feeling than the set-up employed by the Kawasaki. Furthermore the wheelie control element does not feel refined, which can actually make the bike more difficult to control in an experienced rider’s hands so we left it turned off. No sense in dumbing down those 183 ponies because we love what that brings to the table.

“The BMW’s electronics package is hard to beat,” explains Steeves. “I love the adjustable power modes and even the TC works great too, but the wheelie control has got to go. It’s just way too jerky. You’ll start doing a wheelie and everything feels good than in an instant the front wheel slams back to the ground. Then a second later when the engine gets on the pipe again it wheelies again just to slam down. It’s so bad that I had to turn the TC off.”

To each their own, personally I wouldn't want ABS or TC if it didn't come as an option or an on/off switch...Just like in my truck TC and all that jazz is safe and can be good, but takes the fun out of the almost 400HP it has...If I want to have fun I turn TC off...If a bike wont slide the front or rear wheels, or lock up the front or rear wheel, then I dont want anything to do with it. However I dont use a motorcycle as a commuter so riding for me is always for fun not safety....Riding is a funny thing, because there are so many different styles, some guys like to slides some guys dont...I think all the electronic technology is great, I just think it should always be an option on a sportbike, and or come with on/off and leave it up to the rider if they want to buy or use them

I am all for anything that makes riding on the street safer, one can always turn the electronics off for a more "pure" feel.

For the guy that rides once in a while on the weekends, and doesn't really care to be amazing at riding, having a k1300R thats essentially idiot proof makes lots of sense to me.

drawing the line at tech is so weird to me, its different for everyone, take paddle shifters on high end sports cars and you pretty much get what i am talking about.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

now just imagine the same conversation in this thread, but on an airline pilot forum. how scary it would be? haha

pilot: im hot sh*t and don't need extra electronics and instruments to tell me how i can fly this 747.

pro riders spend thousands of hours practicing their throttle, brake and clutch control. and still crash sometimes. but a few hot shots on gtam with a few track days a year think they are all that

we've all seen how reliable human beings are.
    Last edited by SkyRider; 04-30-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krrakt View Post
    Would you gsxr1000 owners please comment.

I read in a few places online that since the 2005-06 gsxr, the build quality has declined.

On ebay the 05-06 gsxr's are much more sought after than newer models from what I have seen. Why is that?

Have they improved the quality from the 07 and on bikes? I don't recall one specific reason but it was concerning Fit & Finish of the 07+ models mainly. To keep the price competitive some have suggested/
    I had an '07 and I wouldn't consider the fit/finish poor. The K5/K6 has just always been an awesome bike but it's taken a few years for some to say it (ie. you've got magazine reviewers given the "updated" bike so they don't want to piss Suzuki off by saying they've gone backwards). But it's been a few years now and it's becoming more and more common to hear it from the reviewers asking Suzuki to make their 1000 more like the K5/K6. Specifically the stomping midrange monster it was and to get away from the peak HP, midrange lacking mill it has become (plus it was much lighter, because of the lack of heavier exhaust).
    In the latest Performance Bike mag they've got a write-up test of the "new" GSXR1000. A line in it reads "Suzuki has finally taken a step to get back to where they left off with the awesome K5/K6 model". Reviews from later model GSXR1000's and the reviewer has had the balls to flat out say they've gone backwards with the new bike. I've got bio's from pro-level Suzuki racers who say their favourite bike was the K5/K6 ride.
    There's huge praise for the K5/K6 in the UK. To answer your question, I'll assume the reasons listed above are a big reason for the higher demand.
    2006 GSXR 1000
    2007 GSXR 600 (track - sold)

PM me if you have a good track bike for sale