Incredible increase in Insurance rates - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incredible increase in Insurance rates

Re: Incredible increase in Insurance rates

Quote Originally Posted by GYMPY View Post
    ... if some of you are not insurance people, SUCK IT UP. If I believe there is an injustice, I will speak up as I am not a sheep who rolls over and takes it. The squeaky wheel always gets the grease. Get use to me and if you don't like my posts, you have the option of not reading them. Nobody is twisting your arm or leg or any other body parts to read them.
    Rock on!

P.S. don't forget to follow your own advice.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Rock on!

P.S. don't forget to follow your own advice.

/zing!
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Banned

Paul. Must have hit a real sore spot with you. Must be an insurance agent or something like that. Did not posters on here say that I should check around for other quotes from all other sources?????????/ Now that I want to do that and I stated I was going to check with US brokers and canadian brokers, you are all bent out of shape. i guess you and others here do not like snowbirds getting their insurance state side. Well, let me tell you something right now, I would rather deal with CANADIANS and get my insurance here in Ontario from one of these insurance here in Ontario. I love to support Ontario companies but I do not wish to be sky jacked by them.

Oh, by the way PAUL, I just renewed today with a Ontario motorcycle insurance company. The US quote was only less than two hundred dollars difference between the one here and the USA. Also got quite a rate decrease with the new Insurance company. I like to support businesses in Ontario.

Oh, by the way, please read my reply to your PM that you sent me. This fellow must be pretty thin skinned to cry to the man [you] about what I posted in his reply. On another board that I belong to, when someone gets slapped on the hand by a moderator, that is what we call the fellow you reported to the moderator.. We call him a CRYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ibtl
    Mina

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    Ibtl
    OMG thank you Paul!!! Wow. Is it a temp ban or permanent???

I'll get a few peeps to shoot ya the $10 for "site supporter" if it's permanent

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Just got my renewal. My bike insurance remained at the same level as last year. My car insurance went up a whopping 2.5%.

Not bad!!!

Viffer fun. I am 63 years young
    Whoa..now you're moving into that seniors group..the bad vision..the slow reflexes..mandatory testing..ouch..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Cycle View Post
    Just got my renewal. My bike insurance remained at the same level as last year. My car insurance went up a whopping 2.5%.

Not bad!!!
    And this is Good News.....How ?

Interesting how we find a 2.5% increase,,,,, Not bad !
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    1983 Suzuki GS750E - Rebuild Project

... Last year I paid 1,080.00 to insure a 2000 Goldwing SE with a Leahman trike kit on it which is Canadian DOT aproved. I had ALL coverage on it. Just received my new renewal policy and my rates went to 1,380.00 dollars overnite for the same coverage on the trike... ROGER
    Roger, a $200 increase does seem a bit much but... how do you think I felt when I opened my statement back in 2005 and found a $2000 increase. Yes, TWO GRAND! Same company, Echelon. YES! I SAID ECHELON!
    And guess who my broker was, Riders Plus. YES! I SAID RIDERS PLUS!

Oh and understand that at the time I had a clear record, (still do) no tickets, no claims, 51 years young and living with the same wife for 31 years on the banks of the Trent River way far away from the GTA. Not to mention I was insuring the same bike that Riders Plus had been insuring with Kingsway for six years and Echelon for one.

At first no one would answer me why such a huge increase. Then nobody would return my emails or speak to me on the phone. Eventually everyone was blaming each other with no one taking responsibility. The overwhelming answer from both companies was to go some place else for insurance. So much for customer service and customer loyalty.

It took me months of telephone calls, emails and letters to Echelon General Insurance, Riders Plus and RIBO. Finally, I had to lodge a formal complaint with RIBO. It was handled behind closed doors as RIBO is a self governing body that does not have to answer to a higher power. When all was said and done Riders Plus was told to:
    1/ Change their web site.
    2/ Change their advertising.
    3/ Retrain their personnel.
    They had to specifically declare that they did not offer a range of products form a variety of companies. That they only offered insurance through Echelon and that only for a specific style of motorcycle and type of rider. They still use the phrase, "...motorcycle insurance coverage and rates that will meet all of your motorcycle insurance needs ..." However they have added that you must meet the criteria as set forth on their website. It's buried, but it can be found if you're persistent.

Riders Plus Insurance has an exclusive arrangement with Echelon General Insurance Company to sell and service Echelon General Insurance’s motorcycle insurance program. Riders Plus Insurance works closely with Echelon General Insurance to develop motorcycle insurance coverage and rates that will meet all of your motorcycle insurance needs if you fit the criteria of their motorcycle insurance program.

Riders Plus Insurance has great motorcycle insurance rates for you if you are:

• 25 years of age or older
    • Ride a Cruiser / Touring / Sport Touring bike
    • Your bike is less than 25 years old

Bottom line, if you're lucky enough to ride a motorcycle that Echelon will cover and you're happy with the rate you're paying you should still shop around. If you are unlucky enough to have to call them to make a claim don't be surprised if they change the rules on you. I'm just saying....

Oh and one last thing Roger, I will commend the insurance professionals on here that do, from time to time, manage to answer peoples questions. However, you must realize by now that it's difficult to get a totally objective and completely truthful answer let alone any empathy from some on this site.

As you said, flame suit on.
    the Dreamer
    (a.k.a. Ducati Dreamin' Stephen)
    '98 900 Ducati SS FE silFEr For Sale
    Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
    As you said, flame suit on.
    Well written post. I like your proper paragraphs and sentences!

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
    Riders Plus Insurance has great motorcycle insurance rates for you if you are:

• 25 years of age or older
    • Ride a Cruiser / Touring / Sport Touring bike
    • Your bike is less than 25 years old

Bottom line, if you're lucky enough to ride a motorcycle that Echelon will cover and you're happy with the rate you're paying you should still shop around. If you are unlucky enough to have to call them to make a claim don't be surprised if they change the rules on you. I'm just saying....
    So much for this theory.

I am 56 with over 35 years of unbroken motorcycle experience, a clean record and ride a sport touring bike that is less than 25 years old, yet Riders Plus / Echelon hiked my rates by 21% over last year. I have been shopping around for the best rate every year and will continue to do so. If the industry does not care about retaining their clients with a reasonable loyalty incentive, then why should I feel bad about jumping from one company to another on a yearly basis.

On a side note, I have no idea why younger riders would even want to ride in view of what they are required to pay! When I started riding in the mid 70's, IF you chose to buy insurance (it was not required), it was quite a bit less than the value of the bike. These days it can easily exceed the cost of the bike. A bike is no longer a cheaper alternative to a car.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

Quote Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
    And this is Good News.....How ?

Interesting how we find a 2.5% increase,,,,, Not bad !

It's good news because as a said there was NO INCREASE in my bike insurance and only a 2.5% increase in my car insurance.

If the price of gas was just 2.5% higher than it was a year ago I bet you'd be delighted with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Cycle View Post
    It's good news because as a said there was NO INCREASE in my bike insurance and only a 2.5% increase in my car insurance.

If the price of gas was just 2.5% higher than it was a year ago I bet you'd be delighted with that.
    Car, bike, house, who cares, it's an increase, how can that be "Not bad !"

Any increase that goes into my pocket is good news, like a pay increase, but even a small increase in anything and it comes out of my pocket is a bad thing and Not Good News,,,,,,,at least not for me...

Glad you have money you are willing to give away....

Wouldn't you rather have saved that 2.5% stashed it away and used it for yourself, your family, go on a vacation, upgrade your bike, spend it on something that gives you something, not line the pockets of the Insurance companies.....

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    1983 Suzuki GS750E - Rebuild Project

Yeah, I'd suspect any increase above 10%, without a ticket or claim, to be an indication the underwriter doesn't want your demographics business.

My renewal came in at 100 dollars more (9%). I called one place and was quoted nearly half the cost, even with a minor ticket.

I hope to never have to use my insurance beyond a theft claim, but its there in case the worst happens. Until then I consider my premiums charity to support those that did get injured. Just wish I could include it in my taxes.