Solvent for removing stickers?

Thread: Solvent for removing stickers?

Solvent for removing stickers?

The previous owner of my bike put on some relfective stickers on the forks and a couple other spots of the bike and i want to remove them but the problem is they are brittle now and crack when you try to peel them off. Does anyone know of a good solvent that i can wipe on with a rag that will melt them off? I'm thinking maybe Acetone? I don't want anything too abrusive or to have to scrap or brush them off since that could scratch the metal. Any suggestion on something i can use that isn't hard to find?

Re: Solvent for removing stickers?

Hair dryer helps first by softening the old adhesive. Rubbing alcohol at Shoppers Drug Mart or "GooGone solvent at Canadian Tire, Home Hardware etc. will dissolve the remaining stuff. Acetone will mess up the paint.
    Last edited by DJM; 04-29-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    Can't we settle this over a pint?

I used my friends heat gun to get sickers off my bike and that got the chunks off then gas on a cloth got rid of the sticky stuff off. Then cleaned the gas off to make sure it didn't take any paint off my bike.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

varsol - pretty good
    or goo-gone...ive used goo-gone before...helped a bit

Don't you have kerosene? That's the best of the bunch and you need it to clean your chain anyway.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    Don't you have kerosene? That's the best of the bunch and you need it to clean your chain anyway.
    My bike is a shaft drive so there is no chain cleaning. I have a heat gun and i picked up some Goo Gone from Crappy Tire i'll give that a go.. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

Varsol and acetone will probably dry things up (like the glue) which is not helpful.

Just like removing the stickers and associated glue from on furniture an oil will work, like vegetable oil on wooden furniture, kitchen items for example. Try it on the gas tank, fairings.... it will not damage the paint. Oil washes off with soap and water.
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

I don't know if it's available retail but you can check it out. Works great but be patient:

http://www.rapidtac.com/products/remover.html

Varsol usually works well on the residual glue too but most stickers need to be peeled off first because the remover won't penetrate through to the glue.

Methyl hydrate will remove glue, won't hurt your paint and won't get you high like goo gone.

Quote Originally Posted by dricked View Post
    Methyl hydrate will remove glue, won't hurt your paint and won't get you high like goo gone.
    Some of us pay the premium on that stuff so we can enjoy those side effects.
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

WD-40 and a sunny day

3M makes a rubber wheel like a big eraser.. it takes off decals,, the glue, and polishes the paint clean! fast! it chucks in a drill.

Lighter fluid works like a charm!

+1 on the lighter fluid. You can pour it directly, swab it around and once it's soft and soggy... use your nail to get it off.

It works so well it almost sounds dirty.

Kerosene works just as well, 1l costs about the same as 100-200ml of lighter fluid and can be used as a degreaser.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]