HIDs installed turned on for a few seconds and then died ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HIDs installed turned on for a few seconds and then died ..

HIDs installed turned on for a few seconds and then died ..

So i just installed my H7, 55W HID lights from ddmtuning. It took a good amount of time... when i was testing it out it was perfectly fine until once i had the whole bike together the light would not turn on at all.. not sure if it just blew up or what..
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school
    Join upp Group Rides Facebook

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Re: HIDs installed turned on for a few seconds and then died ..

Take it apart and check again. Loose wires and all. If not, your battery died.
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER
    Look for a glowing white bike

i did still not turning on, i dont think its the batter because it starts up fine :S im thinking if it could be dual 55W bulbs being too much.. but stock bulbs are both 55W so i'm just confused..
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school

Start-up amperage for the HID ballasts are higher. You may have smoked or popped something. I'm not familiar with the wiring on a Ninja 250. Does the headlight power go through the handlebar switch? I know some bikes fried the switch using higher amperage.
    Can't we settle this over a pint?

Check your fuses if your using 55W ballasts. I believe if you start your bike with both on you will pop a 10A fuse as they pull about 6A each on Start up.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Run new power lines to the ballasts.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    Check your fuses if your using 55W ballasts. I believe if you start your bike with both on you will pop a 10A fuse as they pull about 6A each on Start up.
    This is correct

I would pick up a wiring harness for your HID kits. Avoid DDM in the future.

The harness will take ALL of the load off your factory headlight wires, it just uses them as a trigger. It will come with a 15A fuse, and much thicker wire so you will get less voltage drop when the HID's try and fire. As has been said:

1. Try to avoid turning them both on at the same time. Low beam always to start, wait until the bulb is warmed up (15 seconds) then click the highbeam on.
    2. Avoid "hot re-strikes". Do your headlights turn on as soon as you turn the key on, or only when the bike is started? If they turn on when the key is on, there is something special you'll have to do every time you start the bike.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Jamie hit the nail on the head. Get a wire harness. Problem with most harnesses is that they are designed for cars and only have 1 relay, for the ninja 250 you'll need 2 relays. I modded the harness that i got from ddm to add a second relay. The stock fuse is only 10A, if you fired both the low and high at the same time I'll pretty well guarantee you blew the fuse.

thanks for all the help guys yeah i killed my fuse -.- i was too excited and it didnt warm up so i just wanted to see the highbeams so bad LOL everything works now. I probably need to buy more fuses for the future.. Sorry could you clarify on the "harness" and the lights turn on after i press the ignition button not when i only turn the key to ON. I changed the fuse and it works now.. im scared to turn on the high beam on haha will the fuse break again.

Still a little unclear so I cant turn the high beam on until i get this "harness" ?? otherwise the fuse will blow again right o.o

Thanks all the fast responses and help guys much appreciated!
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school

Quote Originally Posted by Bweixz View Post
    Still a little unclear so I cant turn the high beam on until i get this "harness" ?? otherwise the fuse will blow again right o.o
    If you let the low beam warm up sufficiently there is a chance that you WON'T blow the fuse

I would wait until you get or make the harness before you use the high beam.

I will post more info when I'm done riding today! MUST FILL IN AUTOTUNE CELLS!

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
    Jamie hit the nail on the head. Get a wire harness. Problem with most harnesses is that they are designed for cars and only have 1 relay, for the ninja 250 you'll need 2 relays. I modded the harness that i got from ddm to add a second relay. The stock fuse is only 10A, if you fired both the low and high at the same time I'll pretty well guarantee you blew the fuse.
    As you can clearly tell..i am eletrically challenged so i need to install this http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness harness and wire it directly off the battery? and somehow mod it? how difficult is it to add a second relay o.o? This means even if the lights are warmed up i shouldn't turn on the high beam otherwise the fuse will bow again right
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    If you let the low beam warm up sufficiently there is a chance that you WON'T blow the fuse

I would wait until you get or make the harness before you use the high beam.

I will post more info when I'm done riding today! MUST FILL IN AUTOTUNE CELLS!

-Jamie M.
    haha thats sweeeet alrighty gotta tape down that high beam switch incase i flick it up by mistake LMAO
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school

haha thats sweeeet
    Thanks It's working freaking AMAZING! Usually when I'm ripping it and shift into second and straight drop the clutch it usually pops the front wheel a few inches in the air and then settles back down. Well today I was riding the same way as usual except instead of settling back down it just kept coming up and up and up! lol. I had to bail out of the throttle and slap her down, it surprised me so much!

I've also done a super insane "fuel save while cruising" section on the map, and I did 193km's today and NO FUEL LIGHT! I usually get a light around 180 or maybe 185 if I've been babying it!!! Only thing I noticed in the fuel save section is that the on/off throttle transition is more abrupt, but nothing I can't get use to

I'm going over all the data I logged from today. I'll post some wiring harness info when I'm done, and also post up an offer to help you make one yourself.

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

As you can clearly tell..i am eletrically challenged so i need to install this http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness harness and wire it directly off the battery? and somehow mod it? how difficult is it to add a second relay o.o? This means even if the lights are warmed up i shouldn't turn on the high beam otherwise the fuse will bow again right
    if you're electrically challenged, your best bet may be to get 2 motorcycle specific relay harnesses, one for the low and one for the high. Unless you have decent soldering skills, an extra relay and relay socket, and some heatshrink tubing laying around you might find it more troublesome than it's worth to mod the DDM harness as it's designed for cars.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    I'm thinking this is happening, you could either run the separate wires to power it up, OR you could just go to the 35w units, they probably won't blow your fuses...

do you really need 55w units ?

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

shiet no i dont its because my buddy who put the order in messed up -.- and gave me 55W i thought it would be fine but boy was i wrong. I guess yea the best thing to do is purchase new 35W ballasts i guess, i wouldn't need to get another pair of bulbs if i just switch the ballasts right o.o
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school

shiet no i dont its because my buddy who put the order in messed up -.- and gave me 55W i thought it would be fine but boy was i wrong. I guess yea the best thing to do is purchase new 35W ballasts i guess, i wouldn't need to get another pair of bulbs if i just switch the ballasts right o.o
    The bulbs are usually the same (at least DDM's are), so you could get 35W ballasts and your problem would go away

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    The bulbs are usually the same (at least DDM's are), so you could get 35W ballasts and your problem would go away

-Jamie M.
    dam anyone know any local shops who will have 35W ballasts because shipping is $50
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school

dam anyone know any local shops who will have 35W ballasts because shipping is $50
    Yikes!

I've been using kits from these guys, super nice quality, great stuff and fast shipping, way way better than DDM! $34 including shipping for two 35watt ballasts and two bulbs, can't beat that deal! http://www.ebay.ca/itm/35W-Xenon-HID...item19cbeae0c7

Make sure in your order notes you put "H7, 4300K" or whatever colour you want. Their 4300k is REALLY nice, blue/green cut off/beam edge, nice bright white middle

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

I wish someone showed me these guys earlier just got my order in thanks for the share ! was about to go with . . . http://www.ebay.ca/itm/35W-G4-Mini-H...item2c642df321 didnt look so legit LMAO. Thanks a bunch!!
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school