Sygic GPS Users?

Thread: Sygic GPS Users?

Sygic GPS Users?

Anyone using Sygic GPS and care to share any feedback?

Struggling to find a good GPS (with offline maps) for android and although there isn't a multi-point mode at this time (the most desirable feature i must admit), Sygic seems to be the best option

Any feedback or opinions would be great!

Re: Sygic GPS Users?

Quote Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
    Anyone using Sygic GPS and care to share any feedback?

Struggling to find a good GPS (with offline maps) for android and although there isn't a multi-point mode at this time (the most desirable feature i must admit), Sygic seems to be the best option

Any feedback or opinions would be great!
    I use it on my Symbian phone. It has worked quite well for me as a cheap GPS solution. You can search for addresses, points of interest, postal codes.. you can also preset your home address so it takes you home with a single push of a button. The voice navigation is clear and you can choose from several different voices and languages. I usually have my cell phone connected through bluetooth so the voice navigation uses my car's speakers but I can also use the cell phone speaker and that is also crystal-clear (that would depend on your phone of course). They've been sending me free updates about every 6 months or so with updated maps and software, although I'm not sure if that will go on forever (especially since Symbian is dead). It does have a few (kinda funny) quirks though. For example, if you're coming up to an intersection that has one of those right-turn lanes with a little island for pedestrians and you're supposed to go straight, it will say "keep left". It's a little confusing at first but once you figure out that it actually means "don't go right" it's a lot easier to follow. It also has trouble announcing the 401, it will usually say "O-N-4-1" omitting the 0 in the middle. These are all very minor issues and they haven't caused me any problems when figuring out where it wants me to go. As for the GPS precision, I believe that's very phone-dependent so I can only comment on my widely unpopular Sony Ericsson Satio. For the most part it has a good handle on where I am and which direction I'm going but sometimes when I'm standing still it gets a little confused and thinks I did a 180. Once I start moving again it figures it out no problem.

EDIT: I guess I should also add that the routing functionality has always picked routes that make sense and got me where I needed to go.

Overall I'm quite happy with it for once-in-a-while use. I'm not sure if you wanted me to comment on anything specific so let me know if I haven't answered something.
    Last edited by danarchy; 04-29-2012 at 02:31 AM.

I tried Sygic a while ago but had a lot of trouble getting it to work on my Galaxy Vibrant and gave up. I know this doesn't answer your question, but have you looked at Navigon? It has multi-point routing (although no route optimization). I currently use Navigon as my primary GPS in the car and as backup on the bike. It does what it's supposed to but has some shortcomings; for instance it doesn't integrate with your contacts very well - If you try to navigate to an address selected from your contacts list, it will get you close to your destination but not the exact address. For that you'll need to enter the address manually in the app itself. It doesn't provide a turn-by-turn route list and if it's running in the background, there's no icon in the notification bar so if you switch to another app it's a real pain to get back to the GPS screen, but I've learned to live with these issues. Nice app otherwise.

Don't waste your money on Co-Pilot. The interface was okay but the Canadian maps are at least 8 years old and it doesn't look like they plan on updating them anytime soon.

I hacked a magellan to run iGo8. I've used both Sygic and iGo8 in my carpc, and found iGo8 to have more feqAtures that I want. That and it was always easier to skin the app.

nvm, re-read op

will try it and get back to you

+1 for navigon. It has the best route management. You can skip and add points at any point in your route. It has a cool feture that finds gas stations on route. My only complaint is that it lacks a lot of POIs. I keep garmin around for that. The motorcycle + scenic routing mode actually pics really good twisty roads. Browsing the map in navigon is not as good as garmin but better than sygic.

Tried many different options on iPhone from sygic, navigon, tomtom, mapquest, igo, etc.

Used tomtom for a while as it worked best out of the bunch. Now using the revamped navigon and it is fantastic compared to the older version and compared to the other brands.

Only using navigon currently.