Scorpian EXO-1000 opinions? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scorpian EXO-1000 opinions?

Re: Scorpian EXO-1000 opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedo View Post
    Does anyone stock them in the GTA to try on for sizing?
    They fit tight - you may need one size bigger than your "typical" size in any other brand.
    Nothing like a new model (EXO-1100) to drive down pricing on previous models, heheh...
    EXO-1000 was $399 in Canada when first released; then settled down to like $300 bucks.
    Kinda heavy, and it's no Shoei, y'know?
    But for $125 bucks it's a smokin' deal...
    Regards
    Old Ninja, runs good.

Quote Originally Posted by S500K View Post
    Have one, love it. Bought mine at GP Bikes 2 years ago $240 when I bought my bike from them which I though was a decent discount from its original price at the time. $130 for it now, I'd pick it up.....

Pump up cheek pads, internal visor, anti-fog visor, super comfy, good looking helmet - GET IT!

Saw them at Kahuna Powersports, Burlignton Cycle might have them - maybe Oakville Yamaha (the new place that opend a few months back) call up before going though and try one on and order one.
    Perfect. thx for the locations.

They also have a bunch on sale at GP right now as well.
    2006 GSXR 1000
    2007 GSXR 600 (track - sold)

PM me if you have a good track bike for sale

Hamilton (the armpit of southern Ontario)

Wink Re: Scorpian EXO-1000 opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    Yes. I've had the helmet for a year. The only problem is the upper airvents...I don't feel air from them =(
    I've had mine for about 3 years and I love it, except that ridiculous raised area on the top of the helmet, with non-functional vents.

Two weeks ago I dropped my helmet and cracked that upper vent piece. I literally yanked the whole thing off -- no love lost. It is only held in place by a few thin strips of black double-sided tape. All that remained were four holes, which I carefully filled with silicone. Done. Looks much better now.
    2001 Honda CB750 Nighthawk -- back to simplicity, reliability, and ease-of-maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    They fit tight - you may need one size bigger than your "typical" size in any other brand.
    Nothing like a new model (EXO-1100) to drive down pricing on previous models, heheh...
    EXO-1000 was $399 in Canada when first released; then settled down to like $300 bucks.
    Kinda heavy, and it's no Shoei, y'know?
    But for $125 bucks it's a smokin' deal...
    Regards
    I'm pretty sure I tried one on at GP Bikes last week but I don't remember the size and how it felt...it was before this deal so I didn't scrutinize it enough. GP was closed today so I popped by Royal Distributing down the road. They didn't have the 1000 but had the 900 and 400 in a few different sizes. I tried on a large EXO-400 and it was a tight fit. Very snug. I'd worry about comfort after a long ride, not to mention getting my glasses in it (i had my wire frame, not the riding glasses I use with me...)...in the deal in this tread they only have s/m/l in the red that I want...so if the 1000 fits the same as the 400 I guess I'm SOL. I'll take a ride by GP tomorrow to try on a 1000 again...

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    No, I cannot fit speakers or glasses into the EXO-1000. I have a Shoei RF 1100 ( I think, dunno the exact model name ) that serves as both my glasses and speaker helmet.
    Actually it does.. I have mounted my Scala G4 no problem, and I wear prescription glasses too.. I have a 1000 and a 700, love them, they are a bit noisy and heavy but is nothing that some ear-buds and some time getting used to the weight wont help.
    Here is where I put my signature!!

2012 Candy Green Kawasaki 250cc
    2000 Black Honda Rebel 250cc - Sold

I've owned two already. It'd be hard to convert me to any other helmet. I'd give it a 9/10 if I compare the weight w/ other helmets. But it's a full 10/10 for me since weight doesnt bother me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    Current: '90 GSXR 750
    2nd: '08 Suzuki GS500F (SOLD)
    [Yoshimura TRS Slip-on; K&N Hi-Flo filter; Fenderectomy; Sprockets (F -1/15T-JT | R +2/46T-Driven) ; Renthal Gold Chain; AVON AV45/46 tyres (17K kms and counting) ]
    1st: '08 Honda CBR125R (SOLD)
    [Arrow Slip-on]

"Four wheels carries your body; two wheels carries your soul."
    "I don't ride to be seen, I ride to disappear."

Can anyone elaborate a bit more on the weight issue? Have you gone from a heavy helmet to a light helmet and was there a huge difference in comfort?
    Eat up Martha.

Quote Originally Posted by dontgiveajack View Post
    Can anyone elaborate a bit more on the weight issue? Have you gone from a heavy helmet to a light helmet and was there a huge difference in comfort?
    Not noticeably. The only difference that it really makes is when you're carrying the helmet around for a long time. However, I do a crap ton of weight lifting so it doesn't bother me...my gf whines about it tho.

Never noticed the weight issues myself; I have ridden for hours at a time and not felt sore or tired in the neck area.

I also just wrecked and this thing saved my head (literally). My entire right side is pretty bunged up, along with what I believe to be a broken rib, but no adverse effects to my dome. For that price, I plan on picking up a replacement.

I had a slip a few years back with a EXO 700 .. was not a crazy fall but I slid on it.. helmet was garbage but I picked up a replacement and been happy with it. I had people comment on my scorpion helmet, saying its heavy and not great for sport bikes, I just moved from a 250 cruiser to a 250 ninja and no issues. I did noticed an increase on noise at highway (probably due to the screen on the ninja compare to no screen) but is only on certain positions with the wind of the screen, as mentioned before a pair of ear-buds solved that problem which you should wear regularly anyways.

From other people they say it is not great at high speeds, I honestly don't know what they are talking about because at highway speed is fine. unless you are doing +200kmh but at that speed I don't think you will be doing blind spot checks.

As for weight in general, yes its a bit heavy but not like wow crazy heavy. the 1000 is heavier than the 700 cuz of the extra lens n stuff. To be honest its only heavy if you compare it to other $400+ helmets, and is not a lot of weight.

on the pro side, the inside of both the 1000 and 700 are removable to wash and to replace, not just the sides but the top part (covers your head) as well. I have a co-worker who has been looking for a helmet with these same features and the price goes $400+ on them. He is looking for the top part specially and has come across a very limited set of helmets.

I think the scorpion performs pretty well, air flow is good (IMO) and colors schemes range quite a lot, which is good. Yes, I know other helmets are better but $400/$500 dollar for a racer performance helmet that will be garbage on my first fall, I don't know if I'm ready to let it go money that easy.
    Here is where I put my signature!!

2012 Candy Green Kawasaki 250cc
    2000 Black Honda Rebel 250cc - Sold

I wasn't going to order because they were only showing s/m/l sizes for the RED that I want, but today I checked and there was an XL and XXL available...so I think they adjust it daily.
    If you do order, don't do it online - it will charge you $35 shipping and also list $10 for 'Fedex Ground'. I called to question the $10 and the lady said it's a glitch in their system and easiest thing would be to just order over the phone - so she put me through to sales and the dude put the order in with the shipping as $30, not $35. So the total came to $154.95.

Have an EXO-700 which I really like. Got if half price at GP for $150 couple of years ago. I would definitely look at another Scorpion helmet.

Great helmet. 2 years on VFR. The visor will sometimes not close 100% when on, but you can play around with it a bit. Funny, but always closes when off. Rather streamline (much better than the round lids of the 80's and 90's). I don't find it overly quiet, but as someone suggested, earplugs are nicer anyway. Watch out for sizing (don't know if you went ahead already). I normally wear a small/medium but wear the Large on the 1000.
    What's in a name? Well apparently nothing as i now ride a Suzuki er/um Honda ...
    2000 VFR
    1989 VMax

I got mine today. I got dinged for taxes($39.64...whatever) and 'handling fees - $8.50'. WTF are handling fees? And $39.64 is not 13% of $124.50 so i don't know how they arrived at that!

All told with shippng and taxes it was still under $200 which is less than I've seen around here before taxes, so I'm still ok....but, does anyone know how they come up with the above figures?

As for the helmet I just took a short ride and am very happy...it's definetly a step up from my Vega II modular. There is wind noise which I expected and will use ear plugs to combat. Still, it's quieter than my Vega. The fit is snug...but in the short ride I took I didn't feel any pressure points so I think it will be good, especially as I wear it in. The internal visor works as expected. Everyone is spot on with the venting - it's a bit cold today and I didn't feel any ventilation up top with all the vents open. I don't think this will bother me too much though. I know it's not a Shoei or Arai but it's the nicest helmet I've personally ever owned so I'm thrilled!

Quote Originally Posted by Varrus999 View Post
    I got mine today. I got dinged for taxes($39.64...whatever) and 'handling fees - $8.50'. WTF are handling fees? And $39.64 is not 13% of $124.50 so i don't know how they arrived at that!
    ok I see what happened...STG put the 'value for duty' as $309.95....on the duty form that value is $304.92, which is responsible for the $39.64 in taxes (13%). Why wouldn't they put the sale price as the value???

Quote Originally Posted by Varrus999 View Post
    ok I see what happened...STG put the 'value for duty' as $309.95....on the duty form that value is $304.92, which is responsible for the $39.64 in taxes (13%). Why wouldn't they put the sale price as the value???
    The simple answer is they are ill informed on how to assign values for duties and customs clearance.
    They should have used the cost paid for the helmet especially due to the fact it is on clearance and not just a sale.
    I would contact them and advise them of the error and see what they will do for you if anything.

The short version is if they don't reimburse you, it is not worth the effort to go to Rev Can for difference as you will need all the doc's to substantiate it was an error and amend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedo View Post
    The simple answer is they are ill informed on how to assign values for duties and customs clearance.
    They should have used the cost paid for the helmet especially due to the fact it is on clearance and not just a sale.
    I would contact them and advise them of the error and see what they will do for you if anything.

The short version is if they don't reimburse you, it is not worth the effort to go to Rev Can for difference as you will need all the doc's to substantiate it was an error and amend it.
    Thanks for the advice. I have already emailed STG, but I expect I'll just have to suck it up, lesson learned, and enjoy my purchase - still a deal but not as sweet as originally thought!