flashing light for riding at night

Thread: flashing light for riding at night

flashing light for riding at night

I was just researching safety measures when riding at night...did a few searches, and found suggestions on reflective tape/clothing to modular headlights and flashing brake lights.
    Reflective tape seems popular, but there seems to be varying opinions on flashing brake lights...

On one hand, any attention you can get, is a good thing (even if it is an annoying/confusing flashing brake light)...being seen is good.
    But on the other, as we were all told, "you go to what you're looking at"...so the flashing/pulsing brake light could inadvertently become a "target"

Considering the above two opinions, anyone have experience/opinion on wearing those lights that bicyclist wear on their body.
    (I remember reading some where that certain flashing colored lights on the vehicle facing either forward or backward is a no no...would wearing the lights on the body make a difference -legally?)

I was also considering this bag(that you sling on your back) it has a blue light...with 2 modes: constantly on or a steady flash while you ride.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULqK6K-uwWU

I apologize if this topic has been discussed ad nauseam before...think of it this way, talking about safety is always a good thing!
    Last edited by wikeke; 04-28-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Re: flashing light for riding at night

I always keep a black diamond storm flashlight in my backpack. I blow bulbs all the time. I only have one bulb in the rear, so when it goes I put this flashlight on my backpack. The flashlight has awesome strobe settings. It can either flash two white LEDs or two red LEDs. They are very bright and noticeable.

I wouldn't count on the flashing light being on your body as being a defense against a ticket. You're essentially part of the vehicle.

Flashing lights, in general, are a no-no.

Flashing RED or Blue is a BIG no no.

At night, just wear a orange construction vest on top of your jacket and you'll be fine.

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

When riding in general I always "tap" my front brake to flash it once or twice, then start using them, so it gets a flash going so anyone behind it can see it, then hold it to keep it solid

Quote Originally Posted by wikeke View Post
    Considering the above ...
    In general - useless toy. Someone tries to sell you something explaining you how "important" it is... but how often did you see it on the road? even reflective vests or HiViz gear is very rare...

If you want to get someones attention on the road - install louder pipes, or get a bikini girl 2up - everybody will see you (joke).

Rider has to relay on him(her)self, not on any third party add-ons. If you afraid - don't ride at night. If you ride at night (or day) try to stay visible in the traffic: don't do stupid things, stay predictable, don't hang in blind spots and always remember, that 5 minutes that you could gain cost nothing in compare with being healthy and alive!!

Ride safe!

thanks for the replies....

yeah, I totally agree with relying on smart riding over a gadget when it comes to being safe and visible at night.

flashing lights (whether forward or backward) are a no-no, but what about a constant blue light(legally)?
    like on the bag I mentioned, or from a helmet...
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...ol-lumi-helmet

Now, I don't believe, that the blue light would replace the rider's need to be smart and attentive at all times...
    or even act as a beacon that all cars would see 100% of the time and be aware of. (but isn't the possibility of some attention, better than no attention at all?)

I just thinking, along with smart riding, the blue light would simply add to the visibility of a rider at night.
    (Come to think of it, wouldn't the blue neon light be almost like a pro active reflector tape?...without the need of headlights!)

btw, you're right slogan, I rarely see HiViz gear on riders at night...is it an image thing? or perhaps the negatives outweigh the positives?
    Last edited by wikeke; 04-29-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wikeke View Post
    btw, you're right slogan, I rarely see HiViz gear on riders at night...is it an image thing? or perhaps the negatives outweigh the positives?
    just because it mostly useless. roughly: 90% of motorcycle accidents are partially or full on rider's side, the remaining 10% - it's like if person is driving and not looking on the road, he won't see the rider regardless of rider's gears.
    It's pretty often you can see a turning vehicle when driver looks opposite traffic direction and does not see anything in front of his/her car.