If it comes to the worst as a mechanic

Thread: If it comes to the worst as a mechanic

If it comes to the worst as a mechanic

I know some of you GTAMers are auto mechanics who work for someone/dealership. So your inputs are what I'm needing.

To come fully clean, I did a job in a hurry. I cut corners, didn't use the correct procedures, and did some redneck butchering.

I worked on a SUV at a dealership. The SUV needed a head gasket job. This is a 20+ hour book time job, so it was quite beyond my level to do. But the boss told me to go do it, so I did.

Most dealerships pay the techs flat rate. The jobs preferred in this environment are the simple, high paying, customer-paid jobs. Those are what we call 'gravy' jobs, and how we make money.

For a veteran tech, a head gasket job on a OHV V6 engine isn't that difficult. But for me with only 4.5 years experience, it was a tough job.

To make it worse, I didn't have the proper equipment ( pullers, torque wrenches) So I had to buy them. And the management cut the labor time to 60% of the book.

It was a very difficult and frustrating job. I lost about a weeks pay because of it.

But the job was eventually done. But the SUV runs rough.

It could be a minor adjustment that it's needed, but if the worst case comes on and another tear down is needed I don't want to do it. The vehicle ate me alive, and I want to move on.

So here is the question: If worst case comes and the vehicle cannot be fixed what responsibilities would I have to face? Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.
    Past : 06 Virago 250; 85 GSX 750; 93 GSX-R 750; 83 Nighthawk 450
    Current project : 80 CM400

Live for what you'll die for.

Re: If it comes to the worst as a mechanic

first things first, diag for why its running rough. if its something like missing a tooth on the timing see if they shop forman can sign for some straight time.

if it was me, i wouldn't except the job when the management cut the labour by 60 points.
    Last edited by lucky2; 04-28-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinster81 View Post

To come fully clean, I did a job in a hurry. I cut corners, didn't use the correct procedures, and did some redneck butchering.

I worked on a SUV at a dealership. The SUV needed a head gasket job. This is a 20+ hour book time job, so it was quite beyond my level to do. But the boss told me to go do it, so I did.

No offense to you, but thank God it wasn't my SUV you worked on.

I'm not an auto mechanic but when I mess up I fix it as part of my education at my own expense.

If the dealership threw you to the wolves they should take at least a big chunk of the responsibility.

4 and half years, bro you should be writing your ticket in the near future.

Did you call the job or was it some other tech, was the head sent out to get checked?

Communication with your lead tech/foreman during the head gasket would have been the better option if you were struggling with the job.

One of my first solo jobs was replacing all the brake and gas lines on a matching numbers 68 corvette because the owner thought he smelled gas(even though there was no leak). It was a big time job for me, learning how to make custom lines, but with the help of the foreman the job got done properly, even though it took forever to do.

If you get no help from others in your work place, then you are working at the wrong shop.

Quote Originally Posted by jayv View Post
    if you get no help from others in your work place, then you are working at the wrong shop.
    Exactly. You may be in over your head but you should be able to get support so you learn as you go.

Never take a job you're not comfortable doing. The company will never back you up if it goes wrong, I work in the gas industry and I tell new techs, "if they give you a job and you're not comfortable in your ability to do it, either had it back or call me and I'll come help you with it". Too many companies throw their employees to the wolves and then use the excuse, well he/she is the licensed person, they shouldn't do it if they not comfortable. I've seen it happen too many times, one time a guy that really should of turned a job down, ended up blowing up a laundry room in an apartment seriously injuring a lady. The company didn't care that he was not trained properly on these regulators, and now the guy is screwed.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

The question is, are you a contract worker or an employee?

If you're an employee, then your boss can make you do it again, but he has to pay you to do it.
    The employer is responsible for the mistakes of their employees.
    He can reprimand you internally, but he cannot make you work for free.

Why was the job's rate cut by 40%? As far as I know, book rate is book rate.
    You would be wise to learn to do HGs and stuff like that. I have a few buddies who make 16-20 hrs some days doing slip and slide head gaskets. Get good at them and they become "gravy jobs" just like brake pads and rotors are for you now.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Rough? How rough?
    Check your timing, are there any codes or pending codes?
    Also check all your vacuum lines, there easy to mix up and will cause all kinds of drivability issues.
    Go around the intake with the oxyacetylene gas from your torch (not lit of coarse) and see if the idle changes at all.
    Most importantly ask an experienced guy for help.
    Can't do gravy all day long, gotta take the good with the bad with the flat rate system.
    Bottom line is vehicle needs to be fixed even if you loose your shirt. You'll make up for it on the next job.
    The boss can cut the labour all he wants but you still need to get book time for it. As far as doing it again, you may be doing it for free.
    They don't have to pay you if you screwed up somewhere putting it back together, you may end up eating this one.
    Last edited by boooya; 04-29-2012 at 09:23 AM.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Thanks for the inputs. But I should've stated better.

Really my question was:

Now that I did the work, and the results are not what's expected. Can I turn the further work down and move on to the other jobs? Of course, I will need to be responsible for the additional/redo job that needs to be done by a more skilled tech, that I know. But since I am not skilled enough, can a skilled man take over at the expense of me?

BTW

This isn't doing a HG job on a Honda Civic. This was a OHV V6 body-on-frame truck. And I forgot to mention, the shop's ace/master/foreman tech was on vacation. I received no help from other techs.
    Past : 06 Virago 250; 85 GSX 750; 93 GSX-R 750; 83 Nighthawk 450
    Current project : 80 CM400

Live for what you'll die for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinster81 View Post
    Thanks for the inputs. But I should've stated better.

Really my question was:

Now that I did the work, and the results are not what's expected. Can I turn the further work down and move on to the other jobs? Of course, I will need to be responsible for the additional/redo job that needs to be done by a more skilled tech, that I know. But since I am not skilled enough, can a skilled man take over at the expense of me?

BTW

This isn't doing a HG job on a Honda Civic. This was a OHV V6 body-on-frame truck. And I forgot to mention, the shop's ace/master/foreman tech was on vacation. I received no help from other techs.
    No you cant turn the work down. You can tell them that your not comfortable/experienced to do a certain job.
    That way your butt is covered if they still want you to do the work. But thats how you learn rite?
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.