Inaccurate Tachometer on Ninja 250

Thread: Inaccurate Tachometer on Ninja 250

Inaccurate Tachometer on Ninja 250

The tachometer on my '09 ninja 250 started to show higher RPMs than it used to. The idle RPM went from ~1500 to ~3000. In fact, RPMs seems to have doubled. Now I rev often to the red line before I feel the bike is ready for an up shift.

The engine is either actually reaching the higher RPMs, or the tachometer is wrong. I believe the tachometer is inaccurate, because by my previous experience, the engine doesn't sound like it's revving as high as the tachometer displays.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Trying to think how it could have happened, I remember that right before I noticed this, I stalled the bike on a traffic light, and started the engine again without the clutch being fully pulled in. Could that have changed anything?

Thanks for any insights!

Re: Inaccurate Tachometer on Ninja 250

It's possible that your tach is accurate, and your idle has increased to 3000 RPM.
    This is what happens when the bike gets good and hot, in the nice spring weather
    (compared to coupla months ago).
    Simply use the adjuster, and maintain idle at ~1200 RPM.
    If any doubts, any Kawi shop can test your tach quick & easy, it's pretty straightforward.
    Regards
    Old Ninja, runs good.

Hook up with a buddy - or someone on this forum - with the same year & model (probably lots around) and compare same gear / same speed tach readings. If it's truly gone out of whack by a factor of 2, should be pretty easy determine?

I believe this is a known problem with this bike.
    "If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law." Winston Churchill

Ninja 250 are notorious for having a temperature sensitive tachometer, perfectly normal. Well not normal, but many have this issue. Sometimes a new tach fixes it, sometimes it doesn't.

Actually now I believe it's a clutch slippage issue. The clutch may not have been fully disengaged. I tried to adjust the clutch cables today on both the upper end at the lever, and at the lower end near the oil gauge. but I'm no expert at it, and not exactly how to fix it. Anyone with good guides on clutch cable adjustment? The manual is too vague.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoy11 View Post
    Actually now I believe it's a clutch slippage issue. The clutch may not have been fully disengaged. I tried to adjust the clutch cables today on both the upper end at the lever, and at the lower end near the oil gauge. but I'm no expert at it, and not exactly how to fix it. Anyone with good guides on clutch cable adjustment? The manual is too vague.
    If your free play is good then the clutch should be engaged at full strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRBGiTrpp7I

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...