So let me get this straight...nobody cares if I took a riding course?

Thread: So let me get this straight...nobody cares if I took a riding course?

So let me get this straight...nobody cares if I took a riding course?

So I got my bike a few months after taking my basic rider training course last summer. A few months ago, I went around to insurance companies including State Farm and Jevco looking for the best quote. SF quoted me for $3500 a year and Jevco for $2300. Neither of them ever asked me if I had taken a rider training course. When I asked them about it, both representatives told me that it didn't matter and whether or not I had taken the course, my insurance wouldn't have been affected.
    Is this true? Why would the experienced riders who attended take this course in the first place if not for the insurance break?
    If it matters, I'm 22 and have had my M1 for a year and M2 for 9 months. My bike is a 1982 Yamaha XS400.

Re: So let me get this straight...nobody cares if I took a riding course?

That seems like an awful lot considering. How long have you had your G license
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alex

I've had my G for a year and a bit. Took my time getting from my G2 to my G. Oh, I completely forgot to mention that I had an at-fault accident 2 years ago (no charges).

The accident is the kicker I think, it tays on record for 5 years.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alex

I understand about the accident. The price isn't my problem as I am willing to pay Jevco $2300 for the year. My concern is that they don't give a crap if I've taken a rider training course and that I've essentially spent $500 learning how to ride for nothing in return. I mean I could have had a buddy teach me how to work the clutch for a case of beer instead of spending an extra $485.

Quote Originally Posted by JARichmond View Post
    I understand about the accident. The price isn't my problem as I am willing to pay Jevco $2300 for the year. My concern is that they don't give a crap if I've taken a rider training course and that I've essentially spent $500 learning how to ride for nothing in return. I mean I could have had a buddy teach me how to work the clutch for a case of beer instead of spending an extra $485.
    $15 is not a case of beer its more like 6 tall boys or a really lousy 12 so that is why all you are going to learn is how to work the clutch.
    If you bought him a two-four he might have even taught you how to stop.

For $485 more they will teach you proper riding technique, defensive traffic behaviour, proper lane position, etc and most important, some life saving emergency skills (swerving, braking and decision making).
    ya know, all the stuff you need once you let the clutch out.so most people take the course prior to getting a bike.

Based on this fact, Insurance now rely more on the amount of time you have been licenced/experience.
    Last edited by Kedo; 04-28-2012 at 09:29 PM.

The reason I suspect they don't give a discount for a riding course is because most riders take a riding course, and isn't a significant factor in claim rates. That being said, a riding course is worth every penny for the experience you gain.

Quote Originally Posted by giesen View Post
    The reason I suspect they don't give a discount for a riding course is because most riders take a riding course, and isn't a significant factor in claim rates. That being said, a riding course is worth every penny for the experience you gain.
    Yeah..the discount shouldn't be the only consideration here..the course might save yer hide..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

I believe meloche monnex/td insurance requires new riders to have training done in order to approve them

Sent from my calculator, using skills.
    My bike: 82' Yamaha XS400R DOHC
    Happy 30th year!

Quote Originally Posted by krrakt View Post
    The accident is the kicker I think, it tays on record for 5 years.
    Different insurance companies look at different lengths of time... I've heard 7, 8 and even 10 years for some.

I'm with TD MM -- When I originally signed with them (CBR250R with M1) they told me it was conditional on both getting my M2 and passing the course within 60 days. If I had not taken the course, they wouldn't have insured me (and I'm 30 with a clean record). Doesn't hugely matter though, as I would have taken the course anyways (it's worth it).
    I am the Stig's father's brother's cousin's nephew's former roommate.

Bike: 2011 Honda CBR250R ABS - T-Rex Frame Sliders, Sato Spools, Tankslapper Film, TechSpec SS Tankpads, Fastpack Tail Bag
    Cage: 2006 Honda Accord V6 6spd Coupe - AEM V2, HFP Suspension, TL-S Sway, CT Shortshift, Partial Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by giesen View Post
    This is true -- for the most part, it is assumed that everyone has taken training and already receives the discount in their base rate. Some companies will refuse to write you unless you have taken a course, especially if you are younger (i.e. under 25yo).
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by JARichmond View Post
    I understand about the accident. The price isn't my problem as I am willing to pay Jevco $2300 for the year. My concern is that they don't give a crap if I've taken a rider training course and that I've essentially spent $500 learning how to ride for nothing in return...
    May be insurance consumer reviews for TD would help? May be somebody had a similar issue?
    Cheers!

riders plus gives you better rate if you take a training course. when they quoted me it was a 400+$ difference with the safety course.