1000RR living room build

Thread: 1000RR living room build

1000RR living room build

Ive been on the board for a while and learned a lot here. I thought Id give back to the community with what Ive absorbed.

To make a long story short Ive been building and fixing bikes for me and my buddies and in the process Ive accumulated a 'few' parts. The advantage of working almost exclusively with Hondas means Ive got enough stuff lying around to complete a bike, minus a few odds and ends.

Heres what I mean:

The guts of this bike will be '05 1000RR motor with a spun bearing. It will undergo a full bottom rebuild. That includes a new crank and rods, bearings, and a thorough cleaning. Some pics of how an underusurped streetbike engine suffers with all the emissions control systems built into it, along with dull highway riding:

Ive already got to cleaning everything and Ill be posting pics as I go along. Heres the prepped block ready for pistons (and a PROPER ring compressor):

Some more contrast:

The season is fast approaching so I plan to keep this thread updated. Im waiting on a parts order right now (forgot to double my order of new crank & rod bearings d'oh!) Thanks for looking!

Re: 1000RR living room build

Im unsure why this motor spun the #3 rod bearing but I knew the previous owner and the bike wasnt abused nor neglected. Regular oil changes shouldve prevented such a catastrophe but from what Ive encountered on other forums the problem is not uncommon, especially when almost all the spun bearings occur in the #3 cylinder. Perhaps this points to a lubrication system issue in which those particular passages suffer from lower oil pressures. There was significant carbon buildup in the combustion chamber which would have resulted in higher pressures since the volume is so small but its likely that wear and tear had a lot to do with it. This motor had about 55k at the time.

Heres what the damage looks like:

It didnt take long for the bearing to get chewed up once it started to spin. The crank journal has been etched and while there are options to machine and replate it, the cost and hassle in finding a matching bearing to make up the difference would only really make sense on a unique project where replacement parts are inaccessible. The rods been etched as well and the steel has changed colour from the heat. Maybe Ill make a tribute sculpture to Honda out of this stuff.

As I wait for parts Ill be taking the opportunity to adjust the valves but thats as far as Ill be going on the top end...still learning
    Last edited by eng2007; 04-30-2012 at 05:28 PM.