600 Super Sport or 650 Standard as a second bike?

Thread: 600 Super Sport or 650 Standard as a second bike?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 600 Super Sport or 650 Standard as a second bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan S. View Post
    P.S. If anyone happens to know more about those dealer demos (where and when) please PM me!
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...2012-Demo-Days

Thank you!!! ^^^

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Personally I think the supersports are just overkill for the road. A standard 650 will easily do 200 kph and out accelerate nearly any car on the road which is more than anyone needs. Plus supersports are tuned so all the torque is way up in the RPM range which is not ideal for regular street riding. This, combined with lower insurance and fuel costs, makes them make way more sense to me.

Unless you are concerned about looking cool. Supersports definitely do a better job at looking cool although most (non-riding) people can't tell my 650 from a 600ss. The only guy that ever noticed only knew because of the rear tire size and I could easily swap out the rim for a ZX6R rim if I wanted to. But he used to ride so he's got more knowledge than most people do in regards to bikes.
    Last edited by unL33T; 04-27-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

I just upgraded from a Honda Rebel 250 to a Ninja 250, after almost 2 years of experience. I looked at everything from 650cc down and decided my insurance, my pocket and my gas mileage will be really happy with just a change of style and more riding experience.

250 ninja gives you about 160 on highway. Make sure to think about your next bike really well.. just a thot
    Here is where I put my signature!!

2012 Candy Green Kawasaki 250cc
    2000 Black Honda Rebel 250cc - Sold

i just traded my Ninja 250 for an SV1000. Probably about the same hp as most 600cc SS bikes, but more torque. Everyone keeps saying 'OMG that's such a big jump' as if I don't already know it. Sure, it's only my second bike, but I rode the 250 for almost 2 years, and put on ~33,000km on it. I think having had a 125 for less than a couple months, I'd suggest either a 250 or 500. Both will be plenty on the highway, keep your insurance rates reasonable, and still be forgiving enough for a relatively new rider such as yourself.

I would just like to add that you have very little experience, if you have only been riding for 6 weeks, and to think it is a good idea to go from a 125 to a 600ss is just a death sentence. I would suggest that even the Ninja 650 will not be very forgiving for your experience. Listen to what some of us are telling you and take a look at the Ninja 250, does just fine on the highway as you can cruse at 130 140 with no trouble at all, it has a ton more power than your 125. ANd as said it is much cheaper on the pocket book and the insurance. To give you an example I have a 2011 Ninja 250, my first bike, been driving for 23 years ticket free and through state farm I pay $36 per month. I think you will be shocked at the price of insurance for a SS. Good luck and get some more seat time in before you decide to make that big of a jump.

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    Personally I think the supersports are just overkill for the road. A standard 650 will easily do 200 kph and out accelerate nearly any car on the road which is more than anyone needs.
    No bike on the face of this earth is "overkill for the road", most people like to ride powerful bikes because they are fun to ride and **** around on. That's what riding is about, not about riding some docile, weak and slow piece of ****. You don't "NEED" a motorcycle, period, a car is more than enough but you don't buy a bike because you "NEED" it, you buy it because you want to have a toy to **** around with and have fun.
    The more powerful the better.

get the 600!!! as Road Warrior stated its your toy and your decision if you've got the money for it and dont mind spending it then do what you want with it. Your a grown man/woman I don't think you need to be asking what you should do with your money if you feel confident enough to get a 600 do it if you dont feel confident enough then i would strongly advise you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by The Road Warrior View Post
    No bike on the face of this earth is "overkill for the road", most people like to ride powerful bikes because they are fun to ride and **** around on. That's what riding is about, not about riding some docile, weak and slow piece of ****. You don't "NEED" a motorcycle, period, a car is more than enough but you don't buy a bike because you "NEED" it, you buy it because you want to have a toy to **** around with and have fun.
    I got a bike to get from place to place cause a car is too expensive for me :P + I love exploring and used to ride a mountain bike a lot when I was younger. Other than that, I agree with everything else you said.

Regardless, get what you can afford so you don't put yourself in a s*** hole of debt.

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    I got a bike to get from place to place cause a car is too expensive for me :P + I love exploring and used to ride a mountain bike a lot when I was younger. Other than that, I agree with everything else you said.

Regardless, get what you can afford so you don't put yourself in a s*** hole of debt.
    I don't get your logic since you can get a car in better condition than you will get a bike for the same money, you can use it all year, the insurance is cheaper, and depending on what models of bikes/cars you're comparing you might even get better fuel economy in a car.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    I don't get your logic since you can get a car in better condition than you will get a bike for the same money, you can use it all year, the insurance is cheaper, and depending on what models of bikes/cars you're comparing you might even get better fuel economy in a car.
    CBR 125 and Car accident on record which doesn't effect rates w/ Jevco. + Love for exploring and being on a bike.

Also under 21 jacks up my rates like no tomorrow. I believe it was $4000 for primary on a Mazda 3 2010 a year before the accident and stop sign ticket vs $1900 on the bike.

Also use it to get to school saving me $400 for parking per semester.
    Last edited by PLau; 05-09-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Road Warrior View Post
    In a world with no stunting/racing laws or speed limits I might agree with you. As things stand, it's pointless unless you want to lose your license.

Also, it's way more fun to wring out a smaller engine than to carefully not exceed the speed limit on something faster. I've got a friend with two 600's and a BMW 330i. He recently told me he finds his wife's Tercel more fun to drive and will probably only be insuring his 250's (one ZZR250 and the other is a dirt bike) instead of the 600.