600 Super Sport or 650 Standard as a second bike? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 600 Super Sport or 650 Standard as a second bike?

Re: 600 Super Sport or 650 Standard as a second bike?

if insurance is not a factor to you..either choices are fine as a second bike..test ride them first and go with the one that you like the most..
    Past rides: 08 Lime green Kawi Ninja 250R - Awesome beginner bike!
    Current ride: 01 Honda F4i

I also started last season on a 125 and I loved that bike. Put on 3k on it and felt it was time to move up
    due to certain preferences. I love my CBR250 and feel its a great stepping stone but I'm also very cautious and know I can get carried away and have a lot to learn still. I find this bike meets all my riding needs at this point in my riding life.

You know yourself best and just go with what you feel will be the best step for you.

Enjoy and ride safe. I think I speak for the majority when I say we've seen enough injuries and worse this season.

2011 CBR250R
    2008 CBR125R (Enjoyed...sold...not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    Personally I think the supersports are just overkill for the road. A standard 650 will easily do 200 kph and out accelerate nearly any car on the road which is more than anyone needs.
    No bike on the face of this earth is "overkill for the road", most people like to ride powerful bikes because they are fun to ride and **** around on. That's what riding is about, not about riding some docile, weak and slow piece of ****. You don't "NEED" a motorcycle, period, a car is more than enough but you don't buy a bike because you "NEED" it, you buy it because you want to have a toy to **** around with and have fun.
    The more powerful the better.

get the 600!!! as Road Warrior stated its your toy and your decision if you've got the money for it and dont mind spending it then do what you want with it. Your a grown man/woman I don't think you need to be asking what you should do with your money if you feel confident enough to get a 600 do it if you dont feel confident enough then i would strongly advise you don't.

You've already got the basics, can hop on anything at this point. I don't like a SS for a first bike, because of the potential of something going wrong in the first month. You already know how to brake, operate a throttle reasonably well, how to shift, how to steer etc. You are ready for bigger. I don't advise buying new, there's all sorts of money to save buying low mile 2-3 year old bikes, let somebody else eat the depreciation.

Sadly I would suggest that you go for a demo ride on a 250 ninja. Here is why, gun it and see if you are scared, if you are a feather then the pick up will be decent. Also if you are a feather the sheer weight of the 650 will be too much, that is where a SS would do better. Although the SS will not be as comfortable but my 09 cbr600rr is comfy for me. I'm 5.10 165. Then remember that if the 250 was plenty or scary for you and you don't have the reaction times then the 650 would be overkill and you would need a 5k rev limiter for the SS. The cbr was my starter bike, so its doable but not everyone picks things up at the same rate.

Quote Originally Posted by The Road Warrior View Post
    No bike on the face of this earth is "overkill for the road", most people like to ride powerful bikes because they are fun to ride and **** around on. That's what riding is about, not about riding some docile, weak and slow piece of ****. You don't "NEED" a motorcycle, period, a car is more than enough but you don't buy a bike because you "NEED" it, you buy it because you want to have a toy to **** around with and have fun.
    I got a bike to get from place to place cause a car is too expensive for me :P + I love exploring and used to ride a mountain bike a lot when I was younger. Other than that, I agree with everything else you said.

Regardless, get what you can afford so you don't put yourself in a s*** hole of debt.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by The Road Warrior View Post
    In a world with no stunting/racing laws or speed limits I might agree with you. As things stand, it's pointless unless you want to lose your license.

Also, it's way more fun to wring out a smaller engine than to carefully not exceed the speed limit on something faster. I've got a friend with two 600's and a BMW 330i. He recently told me he finds his wife's Tercel more fun to drive and will probably only be insuring his 250's (one ZZR250 and the other is a dirt bike) instead of the 600.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    I got a bike to get from place to place cause a car is too expensive for me :P + I love exploring and used to ride a mountain bike a lot when I was younger. Other than that, I agree with everything else you said.

Regardless, get what you can afford so you don't put yourself in a s*** hole of debt.
    I don't get your logic since you can get a car in better condition than you will get a bike for the same money, you can use it all year, the insurance is cheaper, and depending on what models of bikes/cars you're comparing you might even get better fuel economy in a car.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

I still consider myself a total noob so take this advice with a grain of salt if you like:

I'd probably look at a used Ninja 400R or 500R. I started on a 400R last June, and it's a very forgiving but capable bike on the highway. It has no problems at all keeping up with traffic and still has lots of passing power, without being twitchy.

I don't know what the used market looks like on the 400Rs (they were a brand new model last year) but there's lots of 500Rs out there. When I quoted the 400R vs the 650R last year, the insurance on the 400R was $1000 cheaper, so there's an added bonus (I'm with Riders Plus).

If you just started riding in March 2012, I would definitely stay away from the 600/650s if for no other reason than you're gonna get murdered on insurance. The alternative is to keep riding your 125 until you have a full year under your belt and the consider the 650 when insurance will be a bit kinder to you (and you'll have more experience).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    I don't get your logic since you can get a car in better condition than you will get a bike for the same money, you can use it all year, the insurance is cheaper, and depending on what models of bikes/cars you're comparing you might even get better fuel economy in a car.
    CBR 125 and Car accident on record which doesn't effect rates w/ Jevco. + Love for exploring and being on a bike.

Also under 21 jacks up my rates like no tomorrow. I believe it was $4000 for primary on a Mazda 3 2010 a year before the accident and stop sign ticket vs $1900 on the bike.

Also use it to get to school saving me $400 for parking per semester.
    Last edited by PLau; 05-09-2012 at 12:27 AM.