Plastic supplier?

Thread: Plastic supplier?

Plastic supplier?

Does anyone have an idea where I could pick up a sheet of mirrored acrylic, 3 feet by 4 feet, say 0.118 inch thick (standard thickness)? I'm not looking for an industrial supplier, as the likely wouldn't deal with me for the purchase of a single sheet anyway, but I also don't want to be shelling out over $100.00 for a hobby project either. I bought a 2'x4' sheet from Home Depot, but it rally isn't big enough for my purposes.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Re: Plastic supplier?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Does anyone have an idea where I could pick up a sheet of mirrored acrylic, 3 feet by 4 feet, say 0.118 inch thick (standard thickness)? I'm not looking for an industrial supplier, as the likely wouldn't deal with me for the purchase of a single sheet anyway, but I also don't want to be shelling out over $100.00 for a hobby project either. I bought a 2'x4' sheet from Home Depot, but it rally isn't big enough for my purposes.
    I'm sure someone will pipe up to lend a hand, but, in the event that they don't...perhaps/maybe a place like Curry's (in Mississauga, on the Queensway) may have access to stuff like this (they've been catering to the artist crowd for decades, I'm sure they've fielded all sorts of requests for materials similar to what you're looking for)?
    Peeing in the gene pool...

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I have a feeling she might gut me while I sleep and make love to my organs in a bathtub
    DISCLAIMER: This forum requires thick skin. I will not be held accountable for your inability to take internet sarcasm, but I might be held accountable for your mom walking bow legged this morning...

Piedmont Plastic. No longer on Venture Dr. On Tapscott now

Thanks folks. Looks like I've got three potential suppliers to check out now, one of which stocks the exact brand that I already know will do the job.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I got some at a supplier near Dixie and Steeles a few years back. However the product was defective. The silvering was poorly bonded and peeled off easily. I'm not sure if this is common I would test the stuff before putting a lot of hours into making something.

Warehoused Plastic Sales
    100 Wilkinson Rd
    905-456-1579

Well I could virtually hit that place with a rock, from where I am, but I would hope not to have as bad luck as you did with their product. Did you happen to notice what their largest stock was then?

They've been gone for over a year. There's no plastic warehouse places in Brampton anymore.

But this place has a pretty good selection .... but I am not sure if they have what you are looking for.

http://www.plasticworld.ca/

there's was another place in Vaughan, but I cannot find the link.

Well I could virtually hit that place with a rock, from where I am, but I would hope not to have as bad luck as you did with their product. Did you happen to notice what their largest stock was then?
    It was a while back and apparently they have moved. I just picked up an offcut to make a mirror for a boat. After I cut the piece and started handling the edges I found that the silvering peeled off like a layer of saran wrap. Fortunately I didn't have much time or money into the project.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    It was a while back and apparently they have moved. I just picked up an offcut to make a mirror for a boat. After I cut the piece and started handling the edges I found that the silvering peeled off like a layer of saran wrap. Fortunately I didn't have much time or money into the project.
    Cutting and drilling acrylic is best done with specialized blades or bits. If you are cutting the mirrored acrylic be sure the blade stroke or rotation is correct. Jigsaw would keep the mirrored side down and tablesaw mirrored side up. If using a tablesaw, keep your blade high. Then ease the edge with sandpaper right away.

Warehoused Plastics moved to Venture Dr and then was bought out by Piedmont Plastics. They are now on Tapscott. Call Rocky to see if there are any off cuts available. It usually comes in 4'x8'.

Quote Originally Posted by bgfa View Post
    Cutting and drilling acrylic is best done with specialized blades or bits. If you are cutting the mirrored acrylic be sure the blade stroke or rotation is correct. Jigsaw would keep the mirrored side down and tablesaw mirrored side up. If using a tablesaw, keep your blade high. Then ease the edge with sandpaper right away.

Warehoused Plastics moved to Venture Dr and then was bought out by Piedmont Plastics. They are now on Tapscott. Call Rocky to see if there are any off cuts available. It usually comes in 4'x8'.
    Didn't have any of those problems with the piece I got from Home Depot, but it was too small in the short dimension (started as 2'x4'). Used a plastic cutter, scored it, then snapped it. Hopefully nobbie48 just had some bad stock. If I can get a 4'x4' piece, then I won't bother cutting it.

I've already got an email in to Piedmont.

Didn't have any of those problems with the piece I got from Home Depot, but it was too small in the short dimension (started as 2'x4'). Used a plastic cutter, scored it, then snapped it. Hopefully nobbie48 just had some bad stock. If I can get a 4'x4' piece, then I won't bother cutting it.

I've already got an email in to Piedmont.
    I'm fairly sure this place will have what you need.
    http://octopusproducts.com/
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...anada&view=map

Many of the items i built for the film industry used different finishes, they have almost everything i believe.