Newfoundland this summer. Any tips???

Thread: Newfoundland this summer. Any tips???

Newfoundland this summer. Any tips???

The wife and I are planning to do NFLD this summer on the wing.Hopefully 3 weeks. likely late July early Aug.

We plan to camp in motel rooms and cook little more than our own coffee and a picnic lunch.

Interested to hear from anyone whose been there. What to see. What to miss etc.

Thanks
    ride - if you want to

Re: Newfoundland this summer. Any tips???

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    The wife and I are planning to do NFLD this summer on the wing.Hopefully 3 weeks. likely late July early Aug.

We plan to camp in motel rooms and cook little more than our own coffee and a picnic lunch.

Interested to hear from anyone whose been there. What to see. What to miss etc.

Thanks
    Lanse aux Meadoux was interesting, the ice bergs in the bays were beautiful.

Yes, I saw moose, on the road, off the road. All over. Ten or more at various times.

Don't miss Gros Morne, and take the ferry into Western Brook Pond, but go early, as the ferries fill up later in the day. It's a bit of a hike in, 2 km but camera worthy.

See the sunset from Norris Point, Church road looking west.

Ride out of Cornerbrook to the see the bay, either side. I did the south arm. It's beautiful.

Cape Spear was nice, although the single day I was in St. John was foggy and wet, so visibility was greatly reduced and all I saw was fog. Lol.

I rode through Dildo and saw a bald eagle on the rocks of the harbour.

Bona Vista? The roads in were wonderful, and Cabot's landing is where I saw a pod of whales, and tons of puffins on the rocks.

Have a look at my blog, specifically "I survived the trans Labrador Highway". Ignore the beginning thru to the middle. The Ice bergs are the start of my Newfoundland adventures. (oops, I just realized that I'm missing a good half of that blog. Call it a work in progress.)

Dress for fall riding, we had 10 degree mornings and 19 degree highs, with lots of fog and drizzle.

Beautiful island with incredible people. I'd go again in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Rotten_Ronnie; 04-28-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Twillingate... Icebergs.. Lots of them.. Rent a boat and go check them out!

Have seen some big whales frolicking off shore many times

Grouse mourn mountain is pretty cool.

Any of the small fishing towns are fun to stop in at the local pub.

The show on TSN, Motorcycle Experience, are doing a tour of NFLD as a segment. Might be worth checking it out to see what they recommend.

I was out there last summer, you'll love it. Here's where I went,

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ast-Coast-Trip

Thanks All.

Havn't had time to view all the responses but look forward to it. I need little convincing that 3 weeks is mandatory.
    I've heard (but yet to confirm) that camping rough (head down a gravel road, find a flat clearing and begin to make camp) is hard in NFLD even with so much crown land due to gnarly rocky terrain, bogs and the like. Thanks again,I'll be back with questions....
    ride - if you want to

Book your ferries sooner than later. http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/

If you take a night crossing (or the Argentia route at all), book a cabin it's worth it. You tie down your own bike (with supplied straps).

Have fun it's a great place, 2 weeks is the minimum, take the 3 weeks to go it's worth it. It's 2 days hauling *** to the boat alone (slab) add ferry and a full day just to cross the island. That's not taking your time and stopping to see things or taking side roads to see.

Do NOT ride at night, I repeat do not ride at night. Caution at dusk. Moose are big (800lbs - 1000lbs +) and kill (2 on road in Ronnie's pics are babies) . 800+ collisions a year
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/07..._n_891343.html
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+