What we always knew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What we always knew

What we always knew

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...testimony?bn=1

Saw this in the Star this morning.

To our legal people here, could this article be brough fourth in courts to a judge suggesting an officers word isn't as strong?

If it's our word against his; using this article could level the playing field where a lack of evidence is abundant?
    Winners never quit, quitters never win, and those who don't try are just idiots

Re: What we always knew

Sucks that criminals get away, but also suck that police are disgracing the courts.

I have a feeling this is being done everyday:

While police officers can randomly stop vehicles to check vehicle safety or a driver's paperwork, they must otherwise have reasonable grounds to believe an offence is being committed to stop a car, detain a person or search a house. Mere suspicion is not enough.
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Sucks that criminals get away, but also suck that police are disgracing the courts.

I have a feeling this is being done everyday:
    Careful, you're gonna hurt turbos feelings with that quote...

"While police officers can randomly stop vehicles to check vehicle safety or a driver's paperwork, they must otherwise have reasonable grounds to believe an offence is being committed to stop a car, detain a person or search a house. Mere suspicion is not enough."

Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post

"While police officers can randomly stop vehicles to check vehicle safety or a driver's paperwork, they must otherwise have reasonable grounds to believe an offence is being committed to stop a car, detain a person or search a house. Mere suspicion is not enough."
    Turbo's buddies hurt my feelings everytime they stop me when I'm already late for work. Spend 15mins checking my record even tho its clean
    Resident Loudmouth

I was hoping he would chime in on this, him and open Gambit
    Winners never quit, quitters never win, and those who don't try are just idiots

Cops lie on the stand. No big news here. I've had a prosecutor say at the last trial I was at in his closing arguments, "even though all three arresting officers have different testimony, they are all telling the truth". I couldn't help but laugh out loud in front of the jury.
    Sleeping is my drug,
    My bed is my dealer,
    and my alarm clock
    is the police.

Quote Originally Posted by ABadjusterrider_5 View Post
    I was hoping he would chime in on this

Negative.

It looks like he'll be silent for about a week or so.

I'm not sure why, but he got a bootin from GTAM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABadjusterrider_5 View Post
    I was hoping he would chime in on this, him and open Gambit
    If you are asking whether this would somehow undo the more general assumption that cops are honest, the answer is no.

If you are asking whether you can use this as evidence that a particular cop is lying, that depends, if the testifying cop happens to be the one testifying in the video, the answer is maybe, if its any other cop, the answer is no (because its irrevelant.)
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Wait, hold on a second. For real? The general assumption is that cops are honest?
    2012 Ducati Monster 696

Quote Originally Posted by budgetracing View Post
    Wait, hold on a second. For real? The general assumption is that cops are honest?
    oh look another one.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    oh look another one.
    That makes 98% of us now!!
    Sucks to be in the closed minded minority group eh?

That makes 98% of us now!!
    Sucks to be in the closed minded minority group eh?
    must suck more to not be able to answer the OP's question and be stuck responding to someone you claimed to have put on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    must suck more to not be able to answer the OP's question and be stuck responding to someone you claimed to have put on ignore.
    Sounds like a terrible experience, maybe you should try the Blueline forum?

In court, yes. Unless there is reason to suggest otherwise. You can't paint all the cops with the same brush. And hey, this assumption works in our favorite as well. How would you like it if your testimony was thrown out because another member of the general public lied at their trial?

Isn't that generally the assumption of the court? That cops NEVER lie and the person defending themselves is always lying?

My experience

Cop was looking down at computer or whatever with provincial revenue generating device or PRGD for short (radar gun) out the window. I specifically saw him the whole time. I told him it was not me speeding it was the guy next to me that slowed down before he looked up from whatever he was doing. Cop says no it wasn't.

Another time i was driving west on steels and turned right on to Rutherford and there was a cop standing on the corner. He signaled me to pull into the parking lot. I stopped and reached into the back to grab my wallet. The cop comes up and says i wasn't wearing my seat belt. I told him i always wear it. He said well you're not wearing it properly right now. (as the top belt slipped under my arm when grabbing my back pack).

And i meant assumption by the public not the court.

And just so you don't feel too butthurt my uncle was a u/c for toronto drug task and my great grand father was chief of police so it's not like i'm a life long criminal.
    2012 Ducati Monster 696

ah Calgary police nothing new lol. Word on the street is to avoid the ones with British accents they'll give you a good roughing like this officer did.

If they'll lie for a simple traffic prosecution then what will they do for a major drugs bust? I told the prosecutor in my careless driving charge that I had 6 witnesses who would turn up and prove the OPP officer a liar. The prosecution dropped the case. Cost to me, 2 trips from Newmarket to Bracebridge. Cost to the cop? Zip. Zero. Nowt. Probably wasn't even questioned by his superiors on it.

The Police are generally trusted by the court without the necessity to provide any evidence to substantiate their claims. The officers know this and now believe their word is the law.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Isn't that generally the assumption of the court? That cops NEVER lie and the person defending themselves is always lying?

My experience

Cop was looking down at computer or whatever with provincial revenue generating device or PRGD for short (radar gun) out the window. I specifically saw him the whole time. I told him it was not me speeding it was the guy next to me that slowed down before he looked up from whatever he was doing. Cop says no it wasn't.

Another time i was driving west on steels and turned right on to Rutherford and there was a cop standing on the corner. He signaled me to pull into the parking lot. I stopped and reached into the back to grab my wallet. The cop comes up and says i wasn't wearing my seat belt. I told him i always wear it. He said well you're not wearing it properly right now. (as the top belt slipped under my arm when grabbing my back pack).

And i meant assumption by the public not the court.

And just so you don't feel too butthurt my uncle was a u/c for toronto drug task and my great grand father was chief of police so it's not like i'm a life long criminal.
    cool this has absolutely nothing to do with court testimony.

there is a thread down there to complain about the cops for the 98 % ( agave math ) of people in this thread that have no clue what they are talking about.

My post about previous instances where cops have lied in order to obtain a conviction is not relevant to a thread about cops lying in court to obtain a conviction? Maybe give your head a shake and come back with an intelligent response?
    2012 Ducati Monster 696

you tell it like its roadside, there is no mention of court anywhere in your completely irrevelant post. Its not my fault if you can't put thoughts to comprehensible text.
    Last edited by OpenGambit; 04-27-2012 at 11:27 AM.