Centennial College Course - Not Worth It - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Centennial College Course - Not Worth It

Re: Centennial College Course - Not Worth It

A statistic like a failure rate will have natural variation, above and below the mean. When I took the course at Georgian they bragged constantly of their 95-97% pass rate, my weekend ~40% of people failed. Statistical anomalies happen.

The only complaint I had was the "hill" they use for starting on a hill was a flat piece of parking lot, but anyone with experience driving a manual car shouldn't have problems with that concept anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymurr View Post
    The only complaint I had was the "hill" they use for starting on a hill was a flat piece of parking lot, but anyone with experience driving a manual car shouldn't have problems with that concept anyway.
    It's far easier on the bike, in my opinion, since you have direct control over brakes and throttle simultaneously, unlike a car. The first time I came to a hill I nearly **** my pants, but proper riding position eliminated all my fear.
    Last edited by Paul; 04-27-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iegod View Post
    It's far easier on the bike, in my opinion, since you have direct control over brakes and throttle simultaneously, unlike a car. The first time I came to a hill I nearly sh*t my pants, but proper riding position eliminated all my fear.
    Hand brake solves that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by iegod View Post
    It's far easier on the bike, in my opinion, since you have direct control over brakes and throttle simultaneously, unlike a car. The first time I came to a hill I nearly sh*t my pants, but proper riding position eliminated all my fear.
    in a car, you should be able to hold it on a hill by letting the clutch out, even without throttle you should be able to get it to hold long enough to transfer off the brake and on to the throttle. or you can just heel and toe it with the right foot while letting off the clutch. I agree, hill starts on a bike are much easier, but they don't have to be hard in a car either.

As an instructor I never brag about pass/fail rates. One weekend can be as high as 100% pass and another 50/50 you don't know. Too many factors! Each weekend is a different group of students with varying skill levels. You have to look at it this way, If the student learns the skills and is able to demonstrate that during the test then they pass. If they are unable to demonstrate they have learned the skills then they will be unsuccessful. Sometimes it is simply nerves that cause them to fail and when they come back for a retest they pass with no problems because they have calmed down.

I know in my mind I have done everything in my power to train them to the best of my ability. If they are unsuccessful during the test then they are not ready to go on the street and risk injury or worse.

2008 Triumph Bonneville T100
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

motorcycling is like, marriage and college, it's not for everybody!, maybe you shouldn't be riding. try taking up ping-pong.

Quote Originally Posted by mystifier View Post
    When I took the M1Exit there maybe 4 years ago, I thought it was great and very helpful for someone who had never been on a bike like myself. Like someone mentioned about the lot, do you think riding on the street will be perfect even roads? You're gonna have pot holes galore in Toronto along with a million other things to look for.

I do agree some of the instructors can be a little off... I guess the problem is that they are motorcycle riders at the end of the day- not teachers.

With that said, last weekend I took the M2 Exit at Centennial and thought that was a huge waste of money. But I somewhat knew this before going in so I can't complain.
    In what way was the m2 exit a waste?
    I was considering that course...

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by cbcanada View Post
    In what way was the m2 exit a waste?
    I was considering that course...
    I took the course at Humber and found it worthwhile. The course assumes the you are reasonably competent. If you're not, it won't fix you. You ride some of the same streets that you test route might be on, and try out the communication system. Because it tries to fine tune your skills it might not seem like you get much out of it. I learned of a couple of my bad habits during the course and another during the test, so it was worthwhile for me. It's especially good if you get nervous for the test.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.