Canadian army sleeping bag

Thread: Canadian army sleeping bag

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Canadian army sleeping bag

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post

I think my favorite piece of aftermarket kit that is comfort related would be my "softie". so warm and cozy!
    By the time you are done you will have more Civ field kit than issued stuff...

The softie by Snugpac? Is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by D23 View Post
    By the time you are done you will have more Civ field kit than issued stuff...

The softie by Snugpac? Is awesome.
    Yup. that's the one!

I'm looking at getting a jump ruck since I'm short in the torso, it would fit me better.
    My med bag I replaced, I have 2 other ones now, and overseas I had my own tac vest since the issued ones are absolutely horrible for medics.
    Buy my own boots, and better gloves. Seems each time I deploy or go to the field for a long enough time, I buy some new piece of kit. Buying a jetboil heater this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    I'm looking at getting a jump ruck since I'm short in the torso, it would fit me better.
    Hmmmmm, I believe I've got an old one hiding in my basement...

Hmmm, the whole weight thing is interesting. Most sleeping bags rated for less than -20C are around 4LB. Individually they don't seem that heavy. Maybe the thinner one is on the heavy side. Both of them together is double the weight unfortunately. When you guys mention that the civilian bags pack a lot smaller, is that compared to both army bags or just one of them? I am trying to get a feel why you guys upgraded. I go for pretty high end equipment and I am quite picky, but I love to score such items for a low price. Dunno if it's worth it though.

BTW what material does the US army use for insulation. Their kit goes for ~$100. That's a lot less than the Canadian one.

rmemedic while the jetboil is awesome for it's ease of use and quick set-up, you might have issues finding fuel around the world. A liquid fuel stove can burn just about anything and it doesen't have issues when it's cold.
    Last edited by daught; 04-26-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Hmmm, the whole weight thing is interesting. Most sleeping bags rated for less than -20C are around 4LB. Individually they don't seem that heavy. Maybe the thinner one is on the heavy side. Both of them together is double the weight unfortunately. When you guys mention that the civilian bags pack a lot smaller, is that compared to both army bags or just one of them? I am trying to get a feel why you guys upgraded. I go for pretty high end equipment and I am quite picky, but I love to score such items for a low price. Dunno if it's worth it though.

BTW what material does the US army use for insulation. Their kit goes for ~$100. That's a lot less than the Canadian one.

rmemedic while the jetboil is awesome for it's ease of use and quick set-up, you might have issues finding fuel around the world. A liquid fuel stove can burn just about anything and it doesen't have issues when it's cold.
    I have the hotcore t-300 bag. it's only a -20 bag, but your bivvy adds to it... I had it in norway and wasn't cold a single time.
    my bag packs smaller than just a single one of the inner or outter military bags. I find the shape of it more comfortable too since I hate being cramped in my bag. It's all synthetic so it dries a bit faster, and the material itself is nicer when it's next to the skin. But, the main reason for it is the weight and pack space savings. A few lb doesn't sound like much, but once you exchange a few items, you're saving 10+ lbs off your kit, and on the longer walks it's a big difference.

A lot of us have jet boils, but they are more or less personal use items for the odd times that the rest of the group doesn't need the coleman stove up and running, so to heat up some hot water for a coffee or a soup or to cook up a ration when you're the only one eating at that time. So we don't use much fuel and we ration ourselves out pretty good. Everywhere I've gone I've been able to find fuel for them...

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    I am trying to get a feel why you guys upgraded. I go for pretty high end equipment and I am quite picky, but I love to score such items for a low price. Dunno if it's worth it though.
    I'm a big fan of Integral designs stuff. They are a Canadian company that produces some of the best bags I have seen. The tech is there, in materials, weight, packed size etc. The price might choke you, but if you are the type that likes high end as you say it might not. I have been using their stuff since 2004.

XPD Sierra is a true -40 bag with an 11 inch loft @ 4LBS

http://www.integraltactical.com/prod...ail.cfm?id=717

Quote Originally Posted by D23 View Post
    I'm a big fan of Integral designs stuff. They are a Canadian company that produces some of the best bags I have seen. The tech is there, in materials, weight, packed size etc. The price might choke you, but if you are the type that likes high end as you say it might not. I have been using their stuff since 2004.

XPD Sierra is a true -40 bag with an 11 inch loft @ 4LBS

http://www.integraltactical.com/prod...ail.cfm?id=717
    Thanks for that link! Might have to do some shopping lol.