Canadian army sleeping bag

Thread: Canadian army sleeping bag

Canadian army sleeping bag

Any one here own the Canadian army arctic sleeping bag? This is what I am referring to http://www.armynavydeals.ca/asp/prod...ng%20Bag%20Set I am looking for views and opinions on it. The two bags and the gore-tex bivy would make an awesome combo but I am worried about it's weight. Some places mention it weights 12LBS, but they don't say if that includes the stuff sack and the cotton liner. I want to know how much the two bags weight by themselves. Really curious what the fill is rated at. 500 or 800?

Re: Canadian army sleeping bag

It's good to -40 if it's in new condition. The down degrades (bunches) over time. The liner is crap and should be replaced with anything (its always good to have a liner tho) and it fits fairly large people comfortably to 6'2 IIRC. It's a bit big compared to the stuff available nowadays but not massive and compresses more that the issued stuff sack allows.

I'll give you a weight in a bit.

Yea it's unfortunate they probably been stored compressed. Specialized down cleaner can restore a lot of loft.

Also any idea if these bags can be zipped together? Nothing insulated better than spooning
    What do you think about the bivy?

Thanks for looking for the weight.

I weighed mine just now in pounds... ounces

Bivvy 1.14

Inner bag 4.08
    Outer bag 4.10

Stuff sack 1.04

Liner unknown, I dumped that POS long ago. For comparison a simple fleece roll up liner is 1.10

The company names on the bags are....

Woods Canada Limited and Imperial Feather Corp. Circa 1984

You can't zip them together as they are mummy bags and are designed to be put inside the other with tie points along the sides top and bottom of the inner bag. It also contains the same tie points on the inside for the liner. The zipper is 3/4 the length of one side. You can tie the bottom up if you are short to reduce length and add a bit more insulation at the foot end.

The bivvy is top quality Gortex and the only thing I use out of all that kit. Over time I developed my own lighter smaller version but not due to warmth (or lack of), just preference for other stuff on the market.

Ha, I'm the same way.
    I use my gortex bivy and think it's totally awesome.
    In the winter, I have a good -30 civvy bag. It's lighter, compresses way smaller and has a hood. I take that with me any time it's cooler than -5 or so.

Summer, I have a cheapo civvy bag that my mommy covered in some cadpat material she had and it works just great for this time of year as long as I'm in my bivy.
    I ALWAYS have my ranger blanket stuffed in to my little pillow case (also made by mom!) so if I ever get too chilly at night, I can pull that out and wrap up in that too and use my coat or whatever as my pillow.

The military bags are plenty warm. I can't recall ever being cold in them, unless it was user error. I just go with the civvy bags because they compress down and weigh so much less.

I also have no clue where my liner is... I would much rather be wrapped up in fleece too, and it's great to keep for those nights where it's not hot or cold, makes things just right on it's own!

Also, if you go with the military stuff, I never tie my liner in. All it will do is become tangled and it takes you 20 minutes to get in the bag and it all sorted out. I just leave it in there loosely and I can slide right in when I go down for some sleep.

I think my favourite piece of aftermarket kit that is comfort related would be my "softie". so warm and cozy!

I have the American army one and I love it. Went winter camping a few years back and I was the only one so warm at night I had to open the bag up. In the summer I only bring the thinner bag and the gortex layer and it's pretty light.

Just like this one... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GORETEX-4-PC-...item231ae4df79
    Last edited by rafiki911; 04-26-2012 at 12:21 AM.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Quote Originally Posted by D23 View Post
    It's good to -40 if it's in new condition.
    I can confirm that. Winter Ex's were my least favourite of all the Army camping trips, but I was never cold with that sleeping bag.

To the OP, if you do manage to snag one the best way to store it is to stuff it back into the carry sack - do NOT roll it up like a traditional sleeping bag. In the mornings, turn it inside out and hang it off a tree branch or a cord tied between two trees to air it out. Rub a candle on the zipper every once in awhile to keep it operating smoothly. And wrap your rifle in a towel before bringing it into the bag with you or the weapon oil will soak into the liner.

Wait.. ignore that last one. You probably won't be bringing a rifle along anyway.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Gummiente View Post
    I can confirm that. Winter Ex's were my least favourite of all the Army camping trips, but I was never cold with that sleeping bag.
    Same, I hated the winter warfare we used to do in Pet. Every year I would say, "I have that qual" and every year they would say "Good, you can teach on it then"

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post

I think my favorite piece of aftermarket kit that is comfort related would be my "softie". so warm and cozy!
    By the time you are done you will have more Civ field kit than issued stuff...

The softie by Snugpac? Is awesome.

By the time you are done you will have more Civ field kit than issued stuff...

The softie by Snugpac? Is awesome.
    Yup. that's the one!

I'm looking at getting a jump ruck since I'm short in the torso, it would fit me better.
    My med bag I replaced, I have 2 other ones now, and overseas I had my own tac vest since the issued ones are absolutely horrible for medics.
    Buy my own boots, and better gloves. Seems each time I deploy or go to the field for a long enough time, I buy some new piece of kit. Buying a jetboil heater this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    I'm looking at getting a jump ruck since I'm short in the torso, it would fit me better.
    Hmmmmm, I believe I've got an old one hiding in my basement...

Hmmm, the whole weight thing is interesting. Most sleeping bags rated for less than -20C are around 4LB. Individually they don't seem that heavy. Maybe the thinner one is on the heavy side. Both of them together is double the weight unfortunately. When you guys mention that the civilian bags pack a lot smaller, is that compared to both army bags or just one of them? I am trying to get a feel why you guys upgraded. I go for pretty high end equipment and I am quite picky, but I love to score such items for a low price. Dunno if it's worth it though.

BTW what material does the US army use for insulation. Their kit goes for ~$100. That's a lot less than the Canadian one.

rmemedic while the jetboil is awesome for it's ease of use and quick set-up, you might have issues finding fuel around the world. A liquid fuel stove can burn just about anything and it doesen't have issues when it's cold.
    Last edited by daught; 04-26-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Hmmm, the whole weight thing is interesting. Most sleeping bags rated for less than -20C are around 4LB. Individually they don't seem that heavy. Maybe the thinner one is on the heavy side. Both of them together is double the weight unfortunately. When you guys mention that the civilian bags pack a lot smaller, is that compared to both army bags or just one of them? I am trying to get a feel why you guys upgraded. I go for pretty high end equipment and I am quite picky, but I love to score such items for a low price. Dunno if it's worth it though.

BTW what material does the US army use for insulation. Their kit goes for ~$100. That's a lot less than the Canadian one.

rmemedic while the jetboil is awesome for it's ease of use and quick set-up, you might have issues finding fuel around the world. A liquid fuel stove can burn just about anything and it doesen't have issues when it's cold.
    I have the hotcore t-300 bag. it's only a -20 bag, but your bivvy adds to it... I had it in norway and wasn't cold a single time.
    my bag packs smaller than just a single one of the inner or outter military bags. I find the shape of it more comfortable too since I hate being cramped in my bag. It's all synthetic so it dries a bit faster, and the material itself is nicer when it's next to the skin. But, the main reason for it is the weight and pack space savings. A few lb doesn't sound like much, but once you exchange a few items, you're saving 10+ lbs off your kit, and on the longer walks it's a big difference.

A lot of us have jet boils, but they are more or less personal use items for the odd times that the rest of the group doesn't need the coleman stove up and running, so to heat up some hot water for a coffee or a soup or to cook up a ration when you're the only one eating at that time. So we don't use much fuel and we ration ourselves out pretty good. Everywhere I've gone I've been able to find fuel for them...

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    I am trying to get a feel why you guys upgraded. I go for pretty high end equipment and I am quite picky, but I love to score such items for a low price. Dunno if it's worth it though.
    I'm a big fan of Integral designs stuff. They are a Canadian company that produces some of the best bags I have seen. The tech is there, in materials, weight, packed size etc. The price might choke you, but if you are the type that likes high end as you say it might not. I have been using their stuff since 2004.

XPD Sierra is a true -40 bag with an 11 inch loft @ 4LBS

http://www.integraltactical.com/prod...ail.cfm?id=717

I'm a big fan of Integral designs stuff. They are a Canadian company that produces some of the best bags I have seen. The tech is there, in materials, weight, packed size etc. The price might choke you, but if you are the type that likes high end as you say it might not. I have been using their stuff since 2004.

XPD Sierra is a true -40 bag with an 11 inch loft @ 4LBS

http://www.integraltactical.com/prod...ail.cfm?id=717
    Thanks for that link! Might have to do some shopping lol.