need suggestions for a 3 day ride to manitoulin islands and back

Thread: need suggestions for a 3 day ride to manitoulin islands and back

need suggestions for a 3 day ride to manitoulin islands and back

hey i guys i am planning on going for a 3 day roundtrip to manitoulin island, need suggestions as to what roads to avoid and the best roads, we ride SS bikes and are all young guys(spirited riders).

Re: need suggestions for a 3 day ride to manitoulin islands and back

My suggestion is to avoid Manitoulin Island and focus on a 3 day trip on the roads between Georgian Bay, North Bay and Ottawa
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Hey Shahfaisal! I live in Sudbury, which is en-route to Manitoulin. You've got a great idea, I love the ride out to the Island!

The highways up here aren't as nice as the ones you're used to, but you'll be rewarded with amazing scenery, and some lovely winding roads.

There are a few websites detailing the different routes you can take. If you have time, check out 1 or more of these loops. You might have to detour towards North Bay, just keep going North on 11 past Barrie, it will take you straight there. All of these loop tours seem to start at North Bay.

http://www.ontario-motorcycle-rides....n-ontario.html

When you are leaving North Bay heading west towards Sudbury on highway 17 (at Verner), I highly recommend you head South at highway 64 for some beautiful rolling rural highway. Lots of hills, creeks, long sweepers, and smooth roads. Stop for something to eat in Noelville! If you continue south long enough, you will link up with highway 69 which will bring you back north towards Sudbury.

Once you get to Sudbury, you can rest for the night, get loaded, check out the local yokels, see the sights. You'll want to leave in the morning to fully enjoy whats coming next. As you head west on 11 again, you'll find that the roads near Sudbury are rough, but it gets better. As you make your way across towards Espanola, there are dozens of little towns, and waterfront vistas to enjoy along the way.

When you hit Espanola, it's time to turn on your Go-Pro and head south on highway 6. This is one of the most beautiful (and fun!) highways I have ever seen. You will literally want to turn around and go back to Espanola just to ride it again.

Once you get to the island, its up to you how to play it! Don't be afraid of the locals, they are very friendly people and would love to hang out and chew the fat. You might even be invited to a BBQ or something!

I hope this helps, and if you want more info feel free to ask. If my bike is on the road I would love to join up with you for a quick cruise while you're up here. If you make it into Sudbury on a Sunday night, it's cruise night and I can show you the spots - meet more riders!

I know one of the head engineers that was involved in building 6 south from Espanola to Little Current (prior to that it was just gravel, apparently). Smart guy. You'll love the converted railway swing bridge too. The former studded wooden deck has been paved over, so it's not quite as fun as it used to be.

Manitoulin itself isn't technically challenging, but it's definitely scenic and relaxing. Don't get too "spirited". Construction zones have rather abrupt warnings. OPP and Reserve Police are there to clip your wings if required. There's only one set of lights on the island (at the swing bridge) and traffic is laid back. Let's keep it that way.

Dave & Brenda's in Kagawong still has the best Fish N Chips.
    Mom's in Mindemoya if you like butter tarts and stuff.

You are more likely to find the "spirited roads" on the way there rather than to and from - there are a few coming down off 10 but you'll have to plot a route to pick them up.
    I'd tend to head east of North Bay and into the Quebec area north of Montreal for twisties and sweepers

But if you do Manitloulin

Beaver Valley is just okay - good burger at Eugenia Falls
    Don't miss Terra Nova ( easy to miss ) - perhaps the most fun but too short and in some areas well you are busting the limit pretty severely to have fun

Hockley is okay, Forks to short but if you go south one block and turn left on the Grange there is some fun to be had.

3 days and spirited?? Pennsylvania beckons
    Last edited by MacDoc; 04-27-2012 at 02:23 AM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Haven't done it yet but was thinking of going fromToronto to Bruce Peninsula, take the ferry over to Manitoulin Island, then through to Sudbury, up the North Bay, through Algonquin Park, and back to the city. With a few little sight seeing detours and some family along the way should be a fun 3 day trip.

i know about pennsylvania, unfortunately my documents arent in order, so will be a while before i can cross the border, may be next year.

On the island, Auberge Inn is a nice place and bike friendly and so is Green Acres Campground.
    Avoid Gordon's Inn.

The ferry ride is nice. The roads are more interesting on the western end of the island. Some nice places to park and hike. I vaguely recall gas being cheaper off the island. Lots of good restaurants and little places.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

Be sure each of you pack a couple extra ratchet straps each if taking the fairy. I'm told the ratchet straps they provide are limited, and some not the best of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy View Post
    Be sure each of you pack a couple extra ratchet straps each if taking the fairy. I'm told the ratchet straps they provide are limited, and some not the best of shape.
    No ratchet straps. Just lengths of dirty, coarse rope. Cambuckle straps will do fine in a pinch, too. Both are usually on sale at CT.