How would you HONESTLY deal with this?

Thread: How would you HONESTLY deal with this?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: How would you HONESTLY deal with this?

Mmmhmm sure it's not you lol

Kidding aside, I would've confronted them before doing anything else. Not to start a conflict but just to politely ask that they stop or confine their smoking to an area where it won't seep into your family's shop. I'd explain I'm not against it but it affects business and your family's ability to earn income. If they refuse then diplomacy has ended and it's time to prep for war. I'd have no problem taking stronger measures which includes calling the cops if need be.

talk to the neighbors (other neighbors) and see if you are alone or if they are also bothered...

i would also call the cops if the pot smoke is getting to be too much ...

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Keep a detailed log of all the incidents. Get pictures and other evidence whenever possible.

Talk to someone in charge and give them a chance (only one) to remedy the issue. Do not argue, do not threaten, do not raise your voice. Assume you are dealing with a reasonable person unless they prove otherwise and do not give them any reason to retaliate.

Next, submit a complaint in writing to the property owner/manager. Do not mention pot, but make sure it's implied, like "a strong smell similar to burning grass". Substantiate your complaint with data you collected.

If the issue is still not resolved to your satisfaction, go to the police. Do not let the fact that you are a recreational pot user prevent you from reporting them. You gave them enough chance to stop messing with your business and a pothead jerk is still a jerk (even more so). Provide the police with the same info you gave the property manager.

While you are doing all of the above, encourage other business owners in the area to do the same. Talk to them in person and in private. Complaints are acted on much more eagerly when they come from several people and in writing.

If all of this fails to produce desirable results within reasonable time and keeps adversely affecting your business, vote with your feet and move. Hopefully their next tenant will be a mob front...
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Keep a detailed log of all the incidents. Get pictures and other evidence whenever possible.

Talk to someone in charge and give them a chance (only one) to remedy the issue. Do not argue, do not threaten, do not raise your voice. Assume you are dealing with a reasonable person unless they prove otherwise and do not give them any reason to retaliate.

Next, submit a complaint in writing to the property owner/manager. Do not mention pot, but make sure it's implied, like "a strong smell similar to burning grass". Substantiate your complaint with data you collected.

If the issue is still not resolved to your satisfaction, go to the police. Do not let the fact that you are a recreational pot user prevent you from reporting them. You gave them enough chance to stop messing with your business and a pothead jerk is still a jerk (even more so). Provide the police with the same info you gave the property manager.

While you are doing all of the above, encourage other business owners in the area to do the same. Talk to them in person and in private. Complaints are acted on much more eagerly when they come from several people and in writing.

If all of this fails to produce desirable results within reasonable time and keeps adversely affecting your business, vote with your feet and move. Hopefully their next tenant will be a mob front...
    I was thinking of something similar. If enough tenants threaten to leave, the landlord will take action!

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    with a Two Bros Exhaust, X-TRE
    2010 GSXR-1000 (SOLD)
    2007 GSXR-600 (SOLD)

"I hate when people fight over the internet... OOO whatcha going to do, caps lock me to death..."

i supply hardwood ply, mdf and melamine panels to the cabinet industry.
    Fire the sales reps that told your folks you were getting high, they are idiots and scoundrels and unworthy of your support.
    Buy from me and the discussion of pot will never come up.

how would I honestly deal with it ?

I'd suggest they start making a daily/weekly gift to me for being such a "complaint-free" neighbour

Quote Originally Posted by crankcall View Post
    i supply hardwood ply, mdf and melamine panels to the cabinet industry.
    Fire the sales reps that told your folks you were getting high, they are idiots and scoundrels and unworthy of your support.
    Buy from me and the discussion of pot will never come up.

Ya, seriously, you know things have gone in the crapper when a supplier won't sell you their products....

I find it amusing that they took it upon themselves to phone his dad and make false accusations too.
    I'd be on the phone with them asking for a huge discount just for the insult, then i would tell them they are fired and call Crankcall for my supplies!